Green pool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mustngacman View Post
    Have already dumped 5 # of shock and it shows no chlorine.
    That's because you need free chlorine. Its different and available at the pool store.
    WRX

Comment

Originally posted by mustang_revival View Post
      That's because you need free chlorine. Its different and available at the pool store.
      wat?
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Granulated chlorine vs shock to get that free chlorine up.
        WRX

Comment

can you define both please?
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Or use tablets.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
              can you define both please?
              Where the confusion often comes in is when retail pool stores call granular chlorine “shock”, “super shock”, “sock it”, and various other marketing terms. What pool stores and pool supply retailers don’t usually tell you is that most of these chlorine products are simply ordinary 65% strength granular or dry chlorine. Pool supply stores package the granular chlorine in handy 2-3 lb plastic bags and charge a much higher price than if you were to buy a 25-50 lb bucket of granular chlorine. By calling the chlorine packets “shock” or some other name designed to make you think it is a special form of chlorine used just for super chlorinating or shocking your pool water, the price of these packets is actually just shocking your wallet! While there are indeed higher strength granular or dry chlorine products sold in some pool supply stores, the majority of granular “super chlorinating” or “shocking” products are simply standard strength dry chlorine available at a much cheaper price. Granular chlorine has a fairly long (6-12 months +) shelf life. So do yourself AND your wallet a favor. Buy a 25-50 lb container of granular chlorine to use for shocking or super chlorinating your pool water throughout the swim season.

- As other have suggested, a no added ingredient bleach works just as well.
              WRX

Comment

Where the confusion often comes in is when retail pool stores call granular chlorine “shock”, “super shock”, “sock it”, and various other marketing terms. What pool stores and pool supply retailers don’t usually tell you is that most of these chlorine products are simply ordinary 65% strength granular or dry chlorine. Pool supply stores package the granular chlorine in handy 2-3 lb plastic bags and charge a much higher price than if you were to buy a 25-50 lb bucket of granular chlorine. By calling the chlorine packets “shock” or some other name designed to make you think it is a special form of chlorine used just for super chlorinating or shocking your pool water, the price of these packets is actually just shocking your wallet! While there are indeed higher strength granular or dry chlorine products sold in some pool supply stores, the majority of granular “super chlorinating” or “shocking” products are simply standard strength dry chlorine available at a much cheaper price. Granular chlorine has a fairly long (6-12 months +) shelf life. So do yourself AND your wallet a favor. Buy a 25-50 lb container of granular chlorine to use for shocking or super chlorinating your pool water throughout the swim season.

- As other have suggested, a no added ingredient bleach works just as well.
                so granular chlorine to shock the pool with?

Comment

so granular chlorine to shock the pool with?
                  On my pool, when it's green and I'm getting it back ready to swim, I use pure 100% chlorine vs. ~50% chlorine shock to kill anything alive all algae in pool.

When I used regular shock, It would instead get very cloudy and my "free" chlorine would drop after 1/2 a day.

The guy who own the pool store by me had me start using the chlorine granular during this step instead to keep that free chlorine up.

After the pool is good and just for maintenance, I use typical (~50%) shock weekly.
                  WRX

Comment

On my pool, when it's green and I'm getting it back ready to swim, I use pure 100% chlorine vs. ~50% chlorine shock to kill anything alive all algae in pool.

When I used regular shock, It would instead get very cloudy and my "free" chlorine would drop after 1/2 a day.

The guy who own the pool store by me had me start using the chlorine granular during this step instead to keep that free chlorine up.

After the pool is good and just for maintenance, I use typical (~50%) shock weekly.
                    100% chlorine is a gas.

What you are trying to say is that you recommend he purchase granular chlorine with the highest available chlorine percentage. For example, Leslies Power Powder Pro is 73% available, compared to the HTH super shock that is 55% available. Nearly half the pound of HTH is filler, and The Power Powder Pro is only roughly a quarter filler.

Right?
                    Last edited by Baron Von Crowder; 07-30-2015, 12:29 PM.

Comment

100% chlorine is a gas.

What you are trying to say is that you recommend he purchase granular chlorine with the highest available chlorine percentage. For example, Leslies Power Powder is 73% available, compared to the HTH super shock that is 55% available. Nearly half the pound of HTH is filler, and The Power Powder is only roughly a quarter filler.

Right?
                      Correct, much better explanation.
                      WRX

Comment

Just dont mix the wrong chemical together

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnboy View Post
                          Just dont mix the wrong chemical together
                          but it smells good
                          Big Rooster Racing
                          1985 Mustang GT

Comment

Right after it catches fire it will.

Comment

As previously stated shock the hell out of it with a granulated chlorine not "sock it" or any other cheap shock. I use the one from bonnie and clydes ( best i have found so far). Then algecide of some kind. Brush,filter,backwash.......brush, filter backwash. And dont forget to get the alkalinity and ph right or it will never hold chlorine.

Comment

Thanks guys, it is starting to look better. Two pounds of green to clean and 4 pounds of shock so far. I just hope they will pick up after I stop.

Comment

Working...
                                X