Garage lights controlled by Garage door opener

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage lights controlled by Garage door opener

I want all of lights in my garage to come on when my garage door opener lights up. I know the opener cannot power 10+ 4' flourcent lights so a relay is in need. I was looking at this relay [ame]http://www.amazon.com/110V-Coil-Electromagnetic-Power-Relay/dp/B00EDK5HAQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1446658328&sr= 1-3&keywords=110v+10a+relay[/ame]

Does anyone see an issue with this relay?

I would look at the Relay In Box (RIB) brand and a model such as this. This will give you the functionallaty you're looking for and it gives you a manual override so you can control the lighting independently from the garage light switch if need be.

Originally posted by Broncojohnny
    Would you like your reparations in 5.56mm or 7.62mm?

Comment

The main problem I see with a relay in general, is that the lights will come on when the garage door opens, but then they'll go off the same as the timed lights in the opener do.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
        The main problem I see with a relay in general, is that the lights will come on when the garage door opens, but then they'll go off the same as the timed lights in the opener do.
        I think that's what Samhain is addressing in his post.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
          I think that's what Samhain is addressing in his post.
          The lights will still go off with the opener lights, and then he'll have to manually override to turn 'em back on. Perhaps that's what the OP wants, but I would think that the want the lights to come on and stay on, perhaps not though.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
            The lights will still go off with the opener lights, and then he'll have to manually override to turn 'em back on. Perhaps that's what the OP wants, but I would think that the want the lights to come on and stay on, perhaps not though.
            Correct, but some of the model(s) I pointed out have latching relays and independent manual overrides to compensate for whichever lighting scenario is at hand
            Originally posted by Broncojohnny
            Would you like your reparations in 5.56mm or 7.62mm?

Comment

I have a 4 foot florescent fixture in my garage, never turn it off. Been on 8 years and I just had one bulb go out, but it was not actually the bulb, the ballast went out on that side, as a new bulb still no workie. Fuck turning them on and off, I like opening the house to garage door and having light already!

Did the same thing in our old house, 10 years, and never changed the bulbs. Only time it was off is when we had a power outage.

Edit: Re-read it, you want 10 on! Hmm, maybe just leave a couple on always, and manually turn on the other 8?

Comment

I ended up making it where the light switch would turn on the lights as well. The garage door opener has a motion sensor, so if I am walking by the sensor it will stay on for 10 minutes. I am very happy with the setup.

Comment

Working...
                X