Spray foam insulation - experiences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spray foam insulation - experiences?

Looking at having the garage walls opened up and having closed cell spray foam insulation added to the house (master suite is above the garage), as well as the entire crawl space wrapped and foamed as well. I'm looking for experiences from people who have used this type of insulation and what kind of actual differences or savings you realized after doing so.

with me doing the R&R of sheetrock in the garage, getting the guys out and doing the work will cost me $1400 (2" coverage on all walls and ceiling joists) and another $2400 to wrap and spray the crawl space under the house. (remove/dispose of insulation bats, 12mil poly everywhere, posts included, then 2" of closed cell sprayed in everywhere).

Does this sound reasonable? What type of energy savings would one expect from this type of work? I have not priced out doing the attic or underside of the roof yet, but would be willing to do that as well if the benefits make sense.

Prices sound right...but I dont think spray foam walls are worth it. Best use of foam is sealing the attic and having a semi conditioned space. Spray foaming the crawl space would probably do well, but I would so attic well before either you are looking to do.

7-8" of open cell for the roofline and make sure to fill the soffits and seal it them off. 4-6" of foam on the gable walls.

I used Franklin Foam and think it was reasonable and did a good job.

Comment

We just had our under construction spray foamed. We foamed everything but the garage and that was traditional fiberglass batting. I can't speak to if it's worth it or not, but have a semi conditioned attic is going to be awesome. That alone for me almost makes it worth.
      sigpic

Comment

Just make sure the temp is above 40* so it bonds properly. We had to have our shop redone after the installer decided to shoot when it was cold. He ate the cost, but was still an inconvenience.

Comment

Our new build (purchased in 2014) was sparay foamed. It is 2200 sqft vs our old house which was 1400 sqft, built in the 80's, and had traditional fiberglass. Granted the old house was in west texas so different utility company and rates, but our utility bills are about the same or a bit lower for a bigger house. Keep in mind that more goes into it like hvac size and ratings, construction, etc, but it seems to be better. I am not unhappy with it if that helps.
          I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Some of the work from the weekend.

Garage partially done in spray foam and traditional fiberglass.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
              Prices sound right...but I dont think spray foam walls are worth it. Best use of foam is sealing the attic and having a semi conditioned space. Spray foaming the crawl space would probably do well, but I would so attic well before either you are looking to do.

7-8" of open cell for the roofline and make sure to fill the soffits and seal it them off. 4-6" of foam on the gable walls.

I used Franklin Foam and think it was reasonable and did a good job.

Thanks for the referral. I'll be calling them for a bid for the attic, maybe the exterior walls of the house. I'm hoping its not too steep or too much of a cost difference from the blow-in insulation.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                Thanks for the referral. I'll be calling them for a bid for the attic, maybe the exterior walls of the house. I'm hoping its not too steep or too much of a cost difference from the blow-in insulation.
                If you have a strict budget, really focus that money on the attic roof line. Seal the attic. It will save you 25% on your a/c and heating just by keeping the ducting inside a conditioned space. The exterior walls should be caulked (sill plates, double stud connections, corners). Exterior rigid foam for exterior walls is more cost effective than spray foaming the walls.

Comment

thanks man...I'll definitely be doing the sealed attic. I was looking at the exterior foam yesterday and on the panels, they advertise the R value based on thickness....looks like if I double up with (2) 3/4" panels, I could get an R rating of about 9. Would the fiberglass insulation still be necessary?

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                    thanks man...I'll definitely be doing the sealed attic. I was looking at the exterior foam yesterday and on the panels, they advertise the R value based on thickness....looks like if I double up with (2) 3/4" panels, I could get an R rating of about 9. Would the fiberglass insulation still be necessary?
                    I believe code states r13 for the walls..so yes you will need more insulation. Id do fiberglass batt at that point.

Comment

Working...
                    X