No announcement yet.

Utility/Garden shed - ATTN: juiceweezl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I managed to get the first sheet of decking up today and that was about it. We had a lot of errands to run.

I managed to get an 82" piece of decking up by myself. I set 3 nails along the leading edge of the fascia board, started the decking up the roof and started turning it to catch the nails and worked it up onto the roof. It isn't fully nailed, I need to come up with a 6 or 8' ladder to get up there and finish up. I am hoping over the next couple of days I can finish the decking and get some paper down on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Well, I am feeling white and nerdy this morning. I am planning on setting up solar powered LED strips for lighting. I may, in addition to that, set up a LED motion flood light on a timer for the dogs so that I can get the ugly ass fixture off of my back porch.

My current plan is a 5w solar panel, solar charge controller, and a pair of 12V SLA batteries at 8-12 Ah rating.

Comment

I managed to get the first row of decking on tonight, hung the last piece of sheathing, and started sealing corners and seams. I need a taller ladder before I hang the top sheets of decking.

I need to decide how to vent the roof. I am leaning towards ridge vent with soffit vents.

Comment

I should have an extension ladder today and can finish up the decking. I have a couple of gable issues, I seem to have screwed up the framing for the gable walls and have a couple of areas where the peak has an upward slope to it. At this point, I'm not too concerned with it. I will take it as a lesson learned, and a detriment of framing the roof by myself.

Decking should be complete tonight. I still need to decide on ridge vents or 3 vents on the back elevation of the roof.

I really should run the fascia before papering the roof and putting up the drip edge, but I think I should be able to space it out where I can slide the fascia underneath the drip edge when I get it.

Comment

After doing some research, do you guys think I would benefit more from floor level venting? I could vent along the back side of the shed just above the bottom plate. That area of the yard stays shaded most of the time and I think I would get the coolest air from that area.

Thoughts?

Comment

I was able to get some work done tonight. Fascia is up on the front and back, sheathing is 100% done. All of the seams are taped up. I started hanging 1x4 hardie as the sun was going down, just trying to knock out small tasks and use up what material I could.

Comment

wow that is looking great! Cant wait to see it finished man

Comment

Originally posted by Goku025 View Post
                  wow that is looking great! Cant wait to see it finished man
                  You and me both! I finally resolved to buying a ladder tall enough for these kinds of projects. I am going to try and get the decking finished up tonight, trim the tops of the gable where I screwed up some measurement or setting the ridge beam, and get the fascia up over the eaves. With that, hopefully I can get it papered tomorrow and ready for shingles this weekend. At the very least, dried in so that if we get rain Sunday/Monday I don't take on much water.

Comment

Do you have an estimate of everything that you used to build it? ie quantity of 2x4s, nails, bags of shingles, plywood etc..

Comment

I don't have it written down, are you wanting a materials list to build similar? I can ball park it for you if you want

Comment

Yeah, my neighbor is in the construction business and told me to get him a list of shit I need and he can bring it all home.

Comment

Originally posted by Goku025 View Post
                          Yeah, my neighbor is in the construction business and told me to get him a list of shit I need and he can bring it all home.
                          I'll put one together for you, the stud count may be off, due to detail framing such as look outs, gable walls, etc. If you add more windows or an additional door, etc, then that will change material count as well.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                            I'll put one together for you, the stud count may be off, due to detail framing such as look outs, gable walls, etc. If you add more windows or an additional door, etc, then that will change material count as well.
                            Mine will look very very similar to how you are building yours. Thanks jefe

Comment

Cool. I'll get that list put together this weekend. I've been working until dark trying to get ready to get a roof on this thing, paper at the very least, before the rain on Sunday.

For the foundation you will need

2x6x12' - 2 (pressure Treated)
                              2x2x6x8' - 10 (pressure treated)
                              2x8x16" cap blocks - 15 (this is subjective you can use as many or as little as you are comfortable with. I would do no less than 3 on each end and 3 every other floor joist)
                              Joist Hangers 2x6/8 - 16
                              4x8 Pressure Treated Plywood x3 (I ran these front to back (8') It would be better to run them down the 12' length, it will give better strength. I was 3" too deep at 8,3" that is why I laid them how I did)

Building

OSB Sheathing 4x8 - 11 (3 for each 12' face and 2 for each 8' face, gables can be cut from 1 sheet)
                              4x8 decking - 6 (you may be able to get away with 5, depends on how you cut it. Radiant barrier is not necessary, I got it for free!)
                              2x8x14' - 1 Ridge beam (I don't feel a double ridge beam is necessary in this application, others may disagree)
                              2x6x8' - 14 Rafters (Looking back, I would run a rafter on each end and frame the gable wall under neath it and use a lookout for the gable extension I did a 6" gable extension, anything more than 8" I would do a cantilevered gable and drop the two end rafters)
                              2x6x8' - 5 Ceiling joists (I set my ceiling joists and rafters at 24" centers, adjust QTY for 16" centers, measure your width to make sure you didn't screw up the dimension like I did, if it is more than 8' you will want to buy 10' lumber and cut accordingly)
                              2x4x8' studs - 65 (this is approximate. I got 50 on my first delivery, and I can't remember exactly how many I had to buy to finish it up. I used 92 5/8 studs for the whole thing. If you are getting it delivered, I would have 6 12' 2x4 delivered for the 12' walls, that way you don't have to split the top and bottom plates)

I will get a stud count this weekend

Roof

1 roll 30lb felt paper (costs the same as 15lb)
                              6 x10' drip edge
                              5 bundles of shingles (measure your roof dimensions, you may be able to get away with 3)
                              1 roll GAF adhesive starter roll

As far as hardware, screws, etc. I noticed that the nails I was using (tetra grip) were not quite long enough to grab the foundation framing adequately, so I went through and shot 3 1/2" deck screws down for extra security. I am going overboard, I will use decking spacers when I lay the top row of decking. I used a lot more nails than I needed to. I tried to get as close to 6" spacing on the edges of OSB sheathing and 12" in the field as possible. I plan on using hurricane ties, and after our meeting with Simpson Strong Tie today (thanks juiceweezl) I'm going to shoot some screws down every other stud into the top plate for some extra holding in the event we get some damaging winds in my area. Is it needed for a shed, nope. I tend to over engineer things.

Siding

This will depend on the finish out you want, you can use bead board panels and have it done in no time, or you can hang siding.

I will finish this later...
                              Last edited by black2002ls; 04-11-2016, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Well. $175 in Roofing materials later, I should have paid my roofer $200 to roof this thing, It would be done already! I've got one more row of paper to lay down, I think I will have enough that I am going to double paper the ridge. With everything up there being just a bit out of square, it has left a few gaps. So, I feel an extra layer of 15lb felt will help me out. That will effectively make a triple layer of felt over the ridge with the over lap at the top.

I'll post a picture once it is all dried in before shingles.

Light, I wish I had added more windows. Now that the roof is covered up, it is a bit dim inside. Instead of adding more windows, I am going to do the solar light set up that I talked about earlier. It should cost me ~$100-125 where as 2 more windows will run me $160.

Comment

Working...
                                X