No announcement yet.

2016 lawn thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, my lawn guy is in the hospital, so it is time to take things into my own hands! Finally getting the crab grass under control. Another application or two of killer and it should be gone.
    Mowed the front tonight, still needs wdged and weedeated, but it is coming along nicely.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

• What type of grass to seed with or sod with? Completely new yard starting from scratch? 1.2ac lot and 80% covered in trees.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by mustang1200 View Post
        What type of grass to seed with or sod with? Completely new yard starting from scratch? 1.2ac lot and 80% covered in trees.

Looks like you just need to cover the yard in cow skins.

Comment

• They are backed ordered so grass for now till the skins come in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by diablo rojo View Post
            Looks like you just need to cover the yard in cow skins.
            I'd recommend St. Augustine...

Comment

• Agreed. Bermuda is ideal for heavy sunlight, and it really sucks in shade. Spend time leveling out your lawn before you lay sod, you won't regret it.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

What type of grass to seed with or sod with? Completely new yard starting from scratch? 1.2ac lot and 80% covered in trees.

Corey...are you going to water? Id go with StAugustine hands down. Bermuda is a little cheaper and will require less water but doesnt do well in shade.

Comment

• Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                  Corey...are you going to water? Id go with StAugustine hands down. Bermuda is a little cheaper and will require less water but doesnt do well in shade.

Yes I plan to water. Probably not heavily after the yard is established though.

sigpic

Comment

Yes I plan to water. Probably not heavily after the yard is established though.

Definitely St. Augustine then; as mentioned it does well with shaded areas and if you wanted to "cut a little cost" you could checkerboard the sod and it will fill in nicely and do so fairly fast with enough water

Comment

• Originally posted by thomasblively View Post
                      Definitely St. Augustine then; as mentioned it does well with shaded areas and if you wanted to "cut a little cost" you could checkerboard the sod and it will fill in nicely and do so fairly fast with enough water

How quickly would you except it would fill in this time of the year provided watering was sufficient?

sigpic

Comment

How quickly would you except it would fill in this time of the year provided watering was sufficient?

It would take a full summer and probably need another full summer. At least that's about how long some at Augustine grew in my yard

Comment

• Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                          It would take a full summer and probably need another full summer. At least that's about how long some at Augustine grew in my yard
                          We did a large yard around March of last year and it has fully filled out already

Grass is not as expensive currently so the advantage is less so now; the reason we checker boarded is we were doing a massive project (sprinkler system, water features, landscaping) so the owner wanted to cut cost in his "side yard" area.

Comment

• Good info. Thanks. I still need a contractor to do the sprinkler and grass work and maybe landscaping.

sigpic

Comment

Good info. Thanks. I still need a contractor to do the sprinkler and grass work and maybe landscaping.

Where are you located? I'm not advertising or trying to still anyone's business but if one of the well known advertising board guys can not get to it, and it is within a reasonable distance from me, I'd be willing to see what I could do to help you out. I just finished the Police Academy and am looking at getting my side business up and going again. I do the landscaping design and planning myself and work with my father in law on the irrigation systems(he is licensed and I am not at the moment).

Mods if this needs to be discussed in PMs please let me know. Again I'm not trying to take business from anyone but if junior or one of the long time board guys can not help him out, I may be able to

Comment

• Thanks man. I've reached out to Junior. He is trying to fit me into his schedule for a quote.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X