No announcement yet.

2016 lawn thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just put down some Scotts weed and feed in the front and a section in the back. Hopefully it knocks out some of these weeds. I will re-apply in 4 weeks.

Is there a down side, or potential damage to applying that frequently? (Primarily concerned with the weed control)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Figured I'd make a contribution to the thread.

I got my soil tested last year with Texas A&M's service:

I did 2 tests, one for front yard and one for the back. The results you receive allow you to plug in your numbers into the fertilizer calculator link on that same page. This will spit out a x-x-x number similar to what is found in fertilizer bags, except it might be a really low number like 1-0-1 or something like that. So long as the fertilizer you buy is a multiple of it, you'll be fine.

When I did my test I just went with the basic #1 ($10/sample), but I would suggest trying the #2 because this test adds in iron analysis. I'll be doing this for my next test.

Comment

what is a good product to put down for dandelions and nutsedge ?

Comment

Originally posted by one slow 5.0 View Post
          what is a good product to put down for dandelions and nutsedge ?
          For the Nutsedge, order this [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Sedgehammer-Turf-Herbicide-Surfactant-Needed/dp/B0058VPQ4Q/ref=pd_sim_86_6?ie=UTF8&dpID=31o1yu6MdnL&dpSrc=sim s&preST=_AC_UL160_SR144%2C160_&refRID=1779Y5WWFCD2 GP3D3AWS[/ame]

I had a lot pop up last year in my back yard. Hit them one time with that stuff and haven't had any issues all last year. I do have about 3 or 4 little ones popping up. I will have to order some of it as well.

Comment

I also had great success for my spraying my border from my neighbors with Ortho Weed B Gon Lawn Weed Killer. http://www.truevalue.com//catalog/pr...FUWTfgod1EwPUg

It has yet to let any of her weeds creep over to my side. She has ALOT of weeds and some are dandelions.

Comment

I fertilized with Scott's bonus s for st Augustine Saturday. I watered it in like the directions say. But it then rained Saturday night/ Sunday morning and again Sunday night. The yard is flat. Will the fertilizer take ?

Comment

Yes

Comment

Ill upload some pics of my yard today, it will be a year this June since I've owned it, and prior people didn't take care of it too well.

The only major issue im having now is the back, full of weeds like on 50% of the lawn, but with the heat it should choke some of them out.

The front, im having issues on grass not growing on some spots, like the soil is crap. I've had a guy come by and aerate the yard, I've dropped seed, fertilizer, etc, you name it, I've done it. The last thing I want to do is SOD the whole yard.

I've attached pictures of the appraisal report, which was 10-days prior to my purchase. Ill get current pictures today / this week.
                  Attached Files

Comment

It has been pouring down the past couple of days here in Austin. The grass is starting to change colors. I love it!

And a picture of my neighbors weed infested lawn. I don't think they have one single strand of Bermuda lol, but I am starting to see some patches of these two leafed weeds pop up over on my side. I didn't put down any pre-m. I think I cursed myself when I said that none have creeped over earlier. I need to hit it with some ortho and hopefully it will clear up.
                    Last edited by Goku025; 04-19-2016, 10:35 AM.

Comment

man, neighbors like that should be fined by the HOA and have to pay to treat yards like yours. If my neighbor gave 0 fucks like that, I'd just put round up on his weeds like 1-2 feet into his property line.
                      Originally posted by stevo
                      Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Looking good! My weed n feed finally knocked out some of the weeds I had running rampant. My Dallisgrass issue is not getting any better though. I cut a lot of it out last year, I also hit some large stands with roundup to kill them off late last year. I think all I did was piss it off, it has come back with a vengance this year.

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                          man, neighbors like that should be fined by the HOA and have to pay to treat yards like yours. If my neighbor gave 0 fucks like that, I'd just put round up on his weeds like 1-2 feet into his property line.
                          I am seriously thinking about doing that when all this rain stops. That's what my yard looked like when we moved into this house so this HOA sucks at mandating that these yards need to be kept up. That's what the rest of the 300 homes look like in this neighborhood. There are about 5-10 homes that have nice lawns.
                          I just couldn't deal with it and laid down sod. My little one couldn't go outside because of the stickers all over the front and back yard.
                          But my neighbor is lazy as shit and she has the nerve when im cutting my grass to ask to do hers and edge as well for free.. And she does this EVERYTIME I am outside cutting. I laugh and just say sorry and then one or two days later she is outside cutting her shit.

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                            I wish my neighbors yard was that nice, at least that one appears to get mowed once in a while. My neighbors truly give zero fucks about their yard.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                              Looking good! My weed n feed finally knocked out some of the weeds I had running rampant. My Dallisgrass issue is not getting any better though. I cut a lot of it out last year, I also hit some large stands with roundup to kill them off late last year. I think all I did was piss it off, it has come back with a vengance this year.
                              Lol! Well Dallisgrass is such a pain in the ass to deal with. I know the feeling

Comment

Originally posted by Goku025 View Post
                                Lol! Well Dallisgrass is such a pain in the ass to deal with. I know the feeling
                                It kills me! I'm hoping I can find some time this weekend to dig some more of it out.

One day, it will look like a putting green, one day...

Comment

Working...
                                X