2016 lawn thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CJ View Post
    Any particular brands available at home depot you recommend?
    Not familiar with what they carry, but anything Scott's is usually pretty good.
    I did see they were carrying some lesco stuff this winter not sure what they have now though

Comment

• Thoughts on dethatching?
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• We ever have on residential lawns, but if you have a thatch problem then sure, go ahead.
        Each year in March we scalp our lawns down to 1" or 1 1/4" depending on terrain , this gets rid of most thatch. We then raise up to 2" for mowing through April, then raise 1/4" every month until 3" in August , might go to 3 1/4" in sept. , just depends on growth. By raising 1/4" every 4-5 weeks you keep from cutting too much of the blade meaning less stress on the grass and it keeps the lawn more green, also you can just mow once a week instead of twice. This also allows the sprinklers to clear the grass on day 6&7 in the heat of the summer.

Comment

• So basically no, you don't bother, haha. That's good to know. How about lawn leveling for use with a reel mower?
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• You can reel mow at 1/2" to 3/4 without having to do much leveling in most cases. Mow it and sand in the low spots is the easiest way

Comment

• Amy particular sand recommendations?

Comment

Amy particular sand recommendations?
                This. And is there a depth maximum? I have some pretty low spots along the driveway, and along the front where it looks like they did some utility work at some point and did not backfill properly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
                Originally posted by Leah
                Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

• Anybody have a sod hook up? My side and back yard are tore the fuck up from a pool build that's almost done. Just looking for some 419 to match the rest of the yard.

Comment

• Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                    This. And is there a depth maximum? I have some pretty low spots along the driveway, and along the front where it looks like they did some utility work at some point and did not backfill properly

I found a pretty cool post some guy made using builders sand on his lawn. Looked like a beach when he finished. He built a 4' infield dragging sled used in ballparks and leveled the sand out. The following year his lawn looked like the whitehouse. Really impressive.

Comment

I found a pretty cool post some guy made using builders sand on his lawn. Looked like a beach when he finished. He built a 4' infield dragging sled used in ballparks and leveled the sand out. The following year his lawn looked like the whitehouse. Really impressive.
                      We had a guy do something similar about a month ago in the subdivision I build in. It looks phenominal.

There are so many different terms for sand it is un real.

Comment

• Sorry for the delay been sick , in hospital , and mis diagnosed with cancer ( no cancer just a crappy doc). Anyway , as posted above many different types of sand , I wouldn't think a builders sand would be good as I would guess it's very very fine particles and that's not what you would want, brick type sand cones to mind , but again not sure. You want a sand that can let things through both ways ,grass coming up and water/nutrients down. We use a greens grade sand from neese materials , you can get the same sand without the greens grading.

Comment

• Dat whiteboy grass tho.

Comment

• How long after applying weed n feed should I wait before applying some Scott's lawn food?

Edit, damn dude glad you don't have cancer. Fuck that doc.

Comment

• the weed n feed will have fert in it, so 3-4 weeks if you are really trying to push it, 6 if just feeding for maintenance.
                              thanks

Comment

• With all of this rain, anyone who has been trying to fill in some bare spots should be seeing some really nice growth spurts!

Comment

Working...
                                X