Leveling your lawn for bermuda grass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leveling your lawn for bermuda grass

Okay, so I've mentioned this before in the lawn thread, but it seemed many people were not familiar with the process, or why you would do it. Bermuda needs to be very short to get dense. You can't mow it short unless you get the grass extremely level. Enter leveling:

The best independent website for learning about and sharing information about your lawn and garden

Check this thread out, it's a pretty great example of the process, and the results. I was curious if anyone in here had done it, what sand they used, and where they ordered it from.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Originally posted by CJ View Post
    Okay, so I've mentioned this before in the lawn thread, but it seemed many people were not familiar with the process, or why you would do it. Bermuda needs to be very short to get dense. You can't mow it short unless you get the grass extremely level. Enter leveling:

The best independent website for learning about and sharing information about your lawn and garden

Check this thread out, it's a pretty great example of the process, and the results. I was curious if anyone in here had done it, what sand they used, and where they ordered it from.
    Quote directly from the OPs comments on pg. 2:

Re: Bermuda Lawn Leveling with PICS!!!

Postby Mightyquinn ยป May 26th, 2012, 7:12 pm
    I asked for masonry sand!!
    Originally posted by PGreenCobra
    I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
    Originally posted by Trip McNeely
    Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
    dont downshift!!
    Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
      There might be other locations, but if you're looking for bulk you can get it at Living Earth (multiple locations around DFW) or Soil Building Systems (Dallas - near 35E and 635) and both will deliver via dump truck. SBS doesn't specifically state that they have masonry sand, but they might just be calling it something different.

Comment

Cj, Rockies in Mansfield has brick sand by the yard. It's what I used to get mine leveled with.

Easiest way to get it done is to pour it out into small piles all over the yard and use a big ass push broom to sweep it level and try to keep it as thin as possible so the grass will grow though. I highly recommend doing it in the late spring when the grass starts growing strong.

Comment

hmmm, looks like he took an already great looking yard and made it great looking...

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
            hmmm, looks like he took an already great looking yard and made it great looking...
            He made the great-looking yard easier to maintain and cut low (look even greater!).
            Originally posted by PGreenCobra
            I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
            Originally posted by Trip McNeely
            Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
            dont downshift!!
            Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
              Quote directly from the OPs comments on pg. 2:

Re: Bermuda Lawn Leveling with PICS!!!

Postby Mightyquinn ยป May 26th, 2012, 7:12 pm
              Problem is that's a relatively broad name. Masonry sand could mean paver sand to some people. Several kinds work but I need to know where you can order it locally.

Living earth I've heard recommended a few times now. Hey mystic, do you recall what they charged you delivered? Dump truck I guess?
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                Problem is that's a relatively broad name. Masonry sand could mean paver sand to some people. Several kinds work but I need to know where you can order it locally.

Living earth I've heard recommended a few times now. Hey mystic, do you recall what they charged you delivered? Dump truck I guess?
                I just loaded it up in my F-250. A yard and a half at a time.

I've tried pretty much all of the sands over the last few years. All work, the course stuff works best in my opinion.
                Last edited by Mysticcobrakilla; 07-13-2016, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Ive used the high quality compost. Buy it by the yard. It will provide an organic fertilizer as well.

Comment

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
                    Ive used the high quality compost. Buy it by the yard. It will provide an organic fertilizer as well.
                    I've done this as well. Makes a much better top dressing than a filler. it does work, just doesn't stay well when typical Texas rain hits it also makes it difficult for grass to grow through when its remotely half ass deep.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysticcobrakilla View Post
                      I've done this as well. Makes a much better top dressing than a filler. it does work, just doesn't stay well when typical Texas rain hits it also makes it difficult for grass to grow through when its remotely half ass deep.
                      and I have some serious leveling to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysticcobrakilla View Post
                        your yard sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mud up to my nuts

Comment

Lmao! That side of it for sure

Comment

Working...
                          X