recessed lights - question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recessed lights - question

I want to add some recessed lighting to my garage. I currently have a couple florescent hanging down lights and want to replace them.

I have never dealt with recessed lights before. But in my mind, I want something pretty simple to install. Cut out the hole in the garage ceiling sheetrock, pop them in. daisy chain the wires and splice into the main light and voila done. Id like to go LED.

is it that easy? Is there anything in particular I need to look for? Do they have to be IC rated and have a box around them? Or is that for the old school lights (not LED)? I was thinking maybe something with an actual bulb, rather than the thin hockey puck style. Because if and when those go out, im guessing they are just trash and cannot just easily replace the bulbs.

any help is appreciated. Thank you

In a garage i prefer led strips

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Its really not hard if you have attic access and wiring already up there. Get some old work retro can fixtures from HD or lowes and a 6" hole saw (usually around the same area). The new LED setups for them are pretty bright and are replaceable. they have a screw in base with 2 wires coming out. I've done a ton of them on houses and they are easy and bright. maybe watch a youtube video on installing them because the 4 clamps that slide up to hold them in have to be pushed pretty hard. Other than that its very simple

Comment

would you guys mind posting a link of the strips, and lights you are both referring to? thank you

Comment

It is that easy. I did a bunch of these in our Texas house. They costs about $40 a piece, and the install was about 15 minutes a light.
          The hand that feeds, bleeds.

Comment

If you do traditional can lights, I recommend the hyperikon 5/6" LED retrofits. They run about $10 each online and put out a ton of light. I'm slowly replacing all the incandescent can lights with these and I like the 4k color, but they have warmer light options.

Comment

Originally posted by 00bolt View Post
              would you guys mind posting a link of the strips, and lights you are both referring to? thank you

Recommendations for 2 car garage? I finally got my garage cleaned up. Our plan is that one side will be hers, the other is mine. Mine currently has a 10' workbench, pegboard to hand tools, shelving and a 4 door 6' wide upper cabinet for storage. Current lighting is a gimball fixture on a switch, the lights from the garage door

Comment

Working...
              X