Roof-power vent fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof-power vent fan

Has any installed power fan on the roof to draw out air from the attic? Since having my air handler placed in the attic. I have been wanting to draw air out of the attic to help with the attic temperature. To save time, I wanting to get a company to come out and install them. I have looked at just the prices of solar power fan and that about 400-800 a unit. Just wondering if it's worth it..

Originally posted by lincolnboy View Post
    Has any installed power fan on the roof to draw out air from the attic? Since having my air handler placed in the attic. I have been wanting to draw air out of the attic to help with the attic temperature. To save time, I wanting to get a company to come out and install them. I have looked at just the prices of solar power fan and that about 400-800 a unit. Just wondering if it's worth it..
    I did a couple in my home in Allen, it was a two story and had a very high attic. The ones I had looked like the attic disc's, they both used a thermostat and in the summer I had them come on at 90* and 110* during the winter. Just make sure you have those vents under your eavs and if you do have them make sure they are not covered by attic insulation or birds nests. You need free flowing air or it will draw from your A/C manifolds and A/C vents.
    Originally posted by Silverback
    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

If you can get proper ridge and soffit vents, convection will do it for you for free. As I understand it, it was designed by A&M.

Comment

I have no ventilation beside the gable vents on each side of the house. This is a two story by the way. Not even any of those turbine vents or eave soffits vents. I just dropped in some loose insulation in those eaves -soffita today. Still trying to finish adding all the insulation in the attic.

Comment

Ridge and soffit vents are the way

Comment

Possibly get new roof nest year. We shall see

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
              Ridge and soffit vents are the way
              That?s what I have
              "PSH!!!"

Comment

My current home has that feature and with the radiant barrier it makes for a very efficient home.
                I have very nice H.E.R.S rating, which show up on my electric bill, my first year here ('20) we had a mild summer and $150.00-$200.00 monthly bill with 3 A/C units.
                Its been the same every year til this year, but we added a pool and its been hot, so its up to $327.xx this past month. I had a bad Capacitor on one unit after a lightning strike last month that kept that unit running for hours at a time, but I'll know this moth as I replaced all three capacitors and everything is back to normal and I'll know what my summer bill is going to be next month.
                Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Chooo Chooo!! Damn 3 units?!

Comment

Originally posted by 4EyedTurd View Post
                    Chooo Chooo!! Damn 3 units?!
                    He's a heatist.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                      He's a heatist.
                      Ha!

Comment

Best set up I ever had dropped the humidity in the house which in turn made it feel colder at higher temps, 78 was like 72. Cut my electric bill over 100 bucks a month. IIRC it was 4 passive spinners on the roof and one small what I could only say looked like small ac fan in the middle. The face of the fan the guy covered with sheet metal and then cut four holes, and then ran 4 small ac hoses up to about 6 inches from each spinner. Had a thermostat controlling the power. Boy you could here those dudes spin up. Worked like a champ and the little motor never went out. Unlike these attic fans I have to change every now and again. I need to swap these for solar, I have 3 powered ones and I think one is still working. They were here when I bought the house.
                        Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                          Best set up I ever had dropped the humidity in the house which in turn made it feel colder at higher temps, 78 was like 72. Cut my electric bill over 100 bucks a month. IIRC it was 4 passive spinners on the roof and one small what I could only say looked like small ac fan in the middle. The face of the fan the guy covered with sheet metal and then cut four holes, and then ran 4 small ac hoses up to about 6 inches from each spinner. Had a thermostat controlling the power. Boy you could here those dudes spin up. Worked like a champ and the little motor never went out. Unlike these attic fans I have to change every now and again. I need to swap these for solar, I have 3 powered ones and I think one is still working. They were here when I bought the house.
                          That still costs money to run when convection is free. A long slot on the apex/ridge and vents on the soffits creates a vacuum that pulls the cool air in as the hot air rises out of the ridge vent.

Comment

I've been adding soffit vents to my house this past week to try and help with convection.

This may be a helpful site for you-
                            Simple tips on Attic Ventilation can save hundreds on your energy costs. Get the right amount of air flow with the right techniques to make your home comfortable.

Comment

I just need power to draw heat out. Help cool the air handler.

Comment

Working...
                              X