• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STEM MBA program unveiled at TTU Rawls College of Business

Tempting.

December 4, 2013

Rawls College of Business Unveils STEM MBA

New master’s program is the first of its kind in Texas.

Written by Leslie Cranford

As the economy recovers, science, technology, engineering and math graduates are increasingly important in the workforce. Texas Tech University’s Rawls College of Business has developed a new STEM MBA program focused on the competencies STEM students need to move forward in their careers.

The one-year program is designed to help STEM students increase their marketability and gain the leadership and insights needed to succeed in the business world. The first cohort starts next summer.

“The courses in the program are unique to a STEM audience in two ways,” said William Pasewark, Webster Professor of Business and associate dean of Graduate Programs for the Rawls College. “First, the traditional MBA core courses will use content, cases and examples that focus on industries that typically employ STEM students. There will be less emphasis on the financial and retail sectors and greater focus on the high-tech, pharmaceutical, manufacturing and energy industries.”

Second, he said, several courses in the program strictly are STEM-based and, in many cases, taught by professors with STEM backgrounds. The commercialization class, for example, is designed to show how ideas conceived in science and engineering eventually find their way to the marketplace.

Lance Nail, dean of the Rawls College, said the STEM MBA is not a common find at business schools. In fact, the Rawls program is the first in Texas and one of only a handful in the country.

“When I first arrived at Texas Tech, many of our internal stakeholders expressed a desire to elevate the status and visibility of our MBA program,” Nail said. “Our external stakeholders talked about the need for greater cross-disciplinary training in approaching problems, the ability to collaborate with peers to solve those problems and more effective individual and collective communication skills to lead within an organization. I don’t know how many times I heard about the early- to mid-career engineer or scientist with excellent technical skills whose career could have been enhanced by the knowledge of those same business and leadership skills.”

Nail said as they moved into strategic planning for the college, it became obvious that they could address the needs of the internal and external stakeholders, and create future generations of leaders in business and society through what he called “a highly rigorous specialized MBA program that meets the aspirations of Texas Tech and the needs of the business community.”

“This is where we leveraged one of the greatest assets of Texas Tech,” Nail said, “which is a comprehensive research university with highly regarded academic programs in all areas on one physical campus. Our faculty thought leaders in business are surrounded by top faculty and students from all disciplines here on campus.”

Nail said that with a great national and regional need for the education and training of leaders from STEM disciplines, and Texas Tech’s excellent academic programs in those areas, a STEM-focused MBA program seemed to be a natural match of excellence in business and STEM for the university.

“As Dr. Pasewark mentioned, the curriculum has been designed to offer the basic body of knowledge in business along with knowledge and skills more focused on STEM-trained students,” Nail said. “We have done this while addressing the needs of the business community for a multidisciplinary and collaborative approach with an emphasis on effective communication skills.”

According to Nail, many of the Rawls faculty received undergraduate and graduate degrees in the STEM disciplines and enjoyed success in STEM-oriented careers before pursuing their doctoral degrees and academic careers in business.

“Our faculty is well-suited to teach STEM-trained students on how to translate their primary education in STEM to business success – both within an organization or as an entrepreneur,” Nail said. “We are very excited to offer this new program.”

For more information, follow the program on Facebook or visit the website to start an application. The application deadline for Summer 2014 is April 1, and June 1 for Fall 2014.
    Last edited by Strychnine; 12-05-2013, 07:49 PM.

Comment

I saw the news on the Purdue program and wondered when it'd hit Tech (given Rawls). Looks like it's launching at TTU before Purdue.

Wonder what the cost will be.
      Originally posted by davbrucas
      I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

I'll find out - I know a director at Rawls.

Comment

Cool, if it's in-line with the other TTU grad programs it seems pretty reasonable for what you get.
          Last edited by slow99; 12-05-2013, 10:12 PM.
          I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

Comment

Her guess is $20-25k.

I got an email from the Graduate & Professional Outreach Director just a few min ago... I really really wish this were a remote/distance thing. I can't take a year off right now

What's w/ the edit? lol "Guns up" to Rawls isn't cool today?

Comment

$20-25k isn't bad at all.

Comment

Opinion time:

Undergrad (engr) and grad (mba) from the same school - good or bad?

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                  Opinion time:

Undergrad (engr) and grad (mba) from the same school - good or bad?
                  I know conventional wisdom says do different schools but I'm not sure I agree. I guess it could depend on your plans post-MBA. My general advice regarding grad school is to choose the best school that you can attend. The quality of the program has a huge impact for MBA graduates.

Comment

I'm not so sure it matters when only 2 schools are offering the program, especially when one is in Indiana

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                      I'm not so sure it matters when only 2 schools are offering the program, especially when one is in Indiana
                      LOL. Yeah, the Purdue option is tempting, all things considered. But I'm pretty sure that with what I'm working on now that might not be as critical.
                      Last edited by Strychnine; 12-07-2013, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
                        I know conventional wisdom says do different schools but I'm not sure I agree. I guess it could depend on your plans post-MBA. My general advice regarding grad school is to choose the best school that you can attend. The quality of the program has a huge impact for MBA graduates.
                        My one contact at Rawls agrees with you and says that it doesn't matter until you're in the PhD realm.
                        Last edited by Strychnine; 12-06-2013, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Oklahoma state offers an engineering management degree (masters of science in engineering and technology management)that is pretty much this. I just finished it last week. Some of my classes were actual MBA classes but most were related to technology management. The only thing I see new about this is the fact that its 1 year. Many programs have tech/MBA blends actually.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                            I really really wish this were a remote/distance thing. I can't take a year off right now
                            And you'd have to live in Lubbock for a year. Although they finally have some decent restaurants now.

On your other point, I always heard to go to different schools for undergrad and graduate degrees, but that was before Tech had any MBA programs worth anything.

Would an MBA really help your career? I would think $25,000 would be easy to make up if the MBA earned you a promotion/raise.

Comment

Originally posted by SVT Lurch View Post
                              Would an MBA really help your career?

Maybe... I'll know more later this week.

Comment

Working...
                              X