No announcement yet.

Degree from Tech of lesser value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why don't you go to a community college for your basics?

Comment

Degree? Pfft.... I rock a GED from Garland like a mofo....

Comment

Yeah, a college degree is worthless. Youll be wasting your time.

Comment

I know several Tech grads, they are no better or worse off than people from UT, A&M, Baylor, etc... The big expense is trying to live on or near campus and as stated multiple times the degree is more important than the school.

Comment

Lunches, brunches, interviews by the pool

Considered a fool cause I dropped out of high school

god bless.
            It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
              Lunches, brunches, interviews by the pool

Considered a fool cause I dropped out of high school

god bless.
              Who knew I'd blow up like Oklahoma
              Said fuck high school, pissed on my diploma
              Smell the aroma, check my hits
              I know it stinks in here, cause I'm the shit

Comment

Shit, I went to tarrant county college, im doing ok.
                ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

The results are in amigo. What's left to ponder?

Comment

Of course the college matters, it only makes sense. Of course, your major matters as well. When you have a population of tens of thousands, anecdotal one-offs mean little. Finding the numbers and doing the math shouldn't be that difficult. A quick Google search on my end showed that the average business graduate from Tech last May averaged $46k compensation (adjusted for the Energy Consulting component) while the comparable UT grad number was $56k.

That being said, you are not a statistic. Be the best student and person you can while you are there and you'll have no problems. I graduated magna cum laude from UNT with a Bachelors in Economics ... for my profession, nobody even looks or has ever asked me about my undergrad experience - it's all about the Masters program and CFA Charter.

I have several friends who are Tech grads who are intelligent, articulate people that do well for themselves. On a different level, regarding members from this site, Strychnine and SVT Lurch come to mind. One of my best friends (and a mentor) earned his undergrad at Tech and is one of the smartest investment guys you'll ever meet - his track record is unbelievable.

Don't get too caught up in the statistics - rise to the top of your peer group and good things will happen for you.
                    Last edited by slow99; 07-08-2014, 07:57 PM.
                    Originally posted by davbrucas
                    I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Degree is fine. Just watch out for the STD's.

Comment

I have a degree from Texas A&M Commerce, and working on my masters at Texas A&M Corpus Christi.

Unless you are a top 1% of a major University, and being recruited by someone, or going after a competitive job after an internship. No one really cares anymore. There are major big wigs at places like Microsoft and Red Cross, etc. who have degrees from University of Phoenix.

Paper opens doors, talent takes you places

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                          Paper opens doors, talent takes you places
                          Good thing I ain't got none of that!

Comment

Originally posted by MattB View Post
                            Good thing I ain't got none of that!
                            which is why you are sitting on the same couch Brent House passed out on last night :P

Comment

Guy I worked with had a degree from the university of phoenix, I'm nearly positive his wife did the classes in her name because he lacked common grammatical vocabulary.

A degree is a degree.

The better question is how do employers verify a graduate.

Comment

Originally posted by 4king View Post
                                Guy I worked with had a degree from the university of phoenix, I'm nearly positive his wife did the classes in her name because he lacked common grammatical vocabulary.

A degree is a degree.

The better question is how do employers verify a graduate.
                                All schools have a contact number to verify degrees. Most large companies do this when doing a background check. Smaller companies don't.

Comment

Working...
                                X