what the hell is mental math?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Denny View Post
    It's not teaching to the LCD. It's explaining why an answer is what it is, instead of "just because."
    I don't know any people (aside from LCDs) That ever had difficulty Understanding the why behind the answer with arithmetic. I'll admit i don't know if mental math applies to calculus, matrices and linear algebra, diffEQ, etc...but I can't image it will apply.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
      I don't know any people (aside from LCDs) That ever had difficulty Understanding the why behind the answer with arithmetic. I'll admit i don't know if mental math applies to calculus, matrices and linear algebra, diffEQ, etc...but I can't image it will apply.
      It doesn't need to. Once the idea is taught at a young age, the habits follow with them. This doesn't just stay in math either.

Not all elementary kids can be DFWM engineers, Ruffy.

Comment

Math is a science not a liberal arts. 51 - 26 = 25, today, tomorrow and everyday, the answer is immutable. The answer is not up for discussion or allows conjecture. Basic math should be taught to kids as a memorization exercise. Beginning with Euclidean geometry, logically deduction can be introduced to kids. If kids can't just pop out the answer to basic arithmetic, they will struggle when they get to algebra and never attempt trig, calculus or higher math.

I would guess that foreign students from Asia and Africa make up 50-75% of the students in my engineering classes and closer to 80% in the one graduate level class I am taking.
        class joke
        {
        private:
        char Forrest, Jenny, Momma, LtDan;
        double Peas, Carrots;
        string MommaAlwaysSaid(const bool AddAnyTime = True)
        };

Comment

Originally posted by TexasDevilDog View Post
          Math is a science not a liberal arts. 51 - 26 = 25, today, tomorrow and everyday, the answer is immutable. The answer is not up for discussion or allows conjecture. Basic math should be taught to kids as a memorization exercise. Beginning with Euclidean geometry, logically deduction can be introduced to kids. If kids can't just pop out the answer to basic arithmetic, they will struggle when they get to algebra and never attempt trig, calculus or higher math.

I would guess that foreign students from Asia and Africa make up 50-75% of the students in my engineering classes and closer to 80% in the one graduate level class I am taking.

All ya gotta say is, "Basic math ain't that hard, assholes. Stop screwin' with it."

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post

All ya gotta say is, "Basic math ain't that hard, assholes. Stop screwin' with it."
              Sorry, I will check my wandering opining at the door next time and be more direct.

Like all paths of integration from z1 to z2 through the complex plane for an analytic function is the same regardless of the path chosen. So, then the end result is more important than the way to get there for some.
              class joke
              {
              private:
              double Peas, Carrots;
              };

Comment

Sorry, I will check my wandering opining at the door next time and be more direct.

Like all paths of integration from z1 to z2 through the complex plane for an analytic function is the same regardless of the path chosen. So, then the end result is more important than the way to get there for some.

So you're saying that it will exemplify authentic schemas across cognitive and affective domains while metacognating school-to-work higher-order thinking within a balanced mathematics program? While that's all well and good will we benchmark developmentally appropriate capacity through the experiential based learning process?

PS. You're doing it again.

Comment

I agree. Adding in additional steps, using addition to get a subtraction answer, to me, complicates this more and leaves more room for confusion and misunderstanding. This in turn frustrates more children here math is concerned. When they get frustrated they give up.
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

So you're saying that it will exemplify authentic schemas across cognitive and affective domains while metacognating school-to-work higher-order thinking within a balanced mathematics program? While that's all well and good will we benchmark developmentally appropriate capacity through the experiential based learning process?

PS. You're doing it again.

lawlz

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                        It is too bad that all this is over your head and you can only post pictures of your self.
                        class joke
                        {
                        private:
                        double Peas, Carrots;
                        };

Comment

It is too bad that all this is over your head
                          That too. I know a couple doctors and they are very humble but I know many engineers that are arrogant.

Go on...

Comment

Go on...
                            Yeah, I am arrogant.

Need a dictionary.
                            class joke
                            {
                            private:
                            double Peas, Carrots;
                            };

Comment

Yeah, I am arrogant.

Need a dictionary.
                              It is too bad that all this is over your head and you can only post pictures of your self.
                              Yeah, jokes on me.
                              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

You are a moron.
                                Originally posted by davbrucas
                                I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Working...
                                X