Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best pad and compound/polish to remove swirls on black?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best pad and compound/polish to remove swirls on black?

I've got a rotary buffer and a generic foam and wool pad, but I'd like to pick up a nice pad and a good compound to get these swirls out of the clear. What do you guys recommend?

Depending on how bad the swirls are you could get away with just some m205 polish by meguiars. They sell it at pepboys now. You only have a rotary? Do you have rotary experience? On black it can be a pain in the ass to get it all of the machine swirls put when using a rotary if not experienced.
    1997 viper gts
    1986 turbo mustang
    1987 Buick grand national
    1972 nova

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Preus View Post
      Depending on how bad the swirls are you could get away with just some m205 polish by meguiars. They sell it at pepboys now. You only have a rotary? Do you have rotary experience? On black it can be a pain in the ass to get it all of the machine swirls put when using a rotary if not experienced.
      I've wet sanded/buffed out a few full repaints in my day, all rotary, but I could pick up a orbital if it is clearly a better choice, I'm sure harbor has something cheap.

If going rotary what kind of pad and speed to you recommend? I think I've got a meguiars diamond pad in the garage.

Comment

Harbor orbitals do zero for swirls. You at least need a d/a.
        Detailing by Dylan
        817-494-3396
        Meticuloustx7@gmail.com
        Ask about the Pre-Spring special

Comment

A DA and some 36 grit should get ya started

Comment

I have a little m205 left and I just got a new bottle so if you want some I will give it to you
            1997 viper gts
            1986 turbo mustang
            1987 Buick grand national
            1972 nova

Comment

^^ If Mark is out of your way, I also have about 12oz you can have for free.
              Detailing by Dylan
              817-494-3396
              Meticuloustx7@gmail.com
              Ask about the Pre-Spring special

Comment

Fuck to the yes! Anyone gonna make it to the cruise on Saturday?

Comment

my porter cable da with meguiars pads and meguiars ultimate compound keeps my 14 y/o black paint looking good.

Comment

Did you ever end up doing this job? There are many choices depending on the severity of the swirls and the hardness/softness of the paint. What kind of car?

Scott
                    Scott Ganow
                    Lone Star Performance
                    16300 Midway Rd
                    Addison, TX 75001
                    214-630-5006

Comment

nope, still needs a good buff. heard mark prues is a bad ass though so will prob. just let him take a stab at first.

Comment

Where do u live? I can help you do it and give you some tools, pointers (very satisfying to get the results yourself!)

Scott
                        Scott Ganow
                        Lone Star Performance
                        16300 Midway Rd
                        Addison, TX 75001
                        214-630-5006

Comment

Originally posted by 00KBGT View Post
                          Where do u live? I can help you do it and give you some tools, pointers (very satisfying to get the results yourself!)

Scott
                          North Arlington

Comment

Meguiars 105, then 205. Easy smeasy.
                            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Let me know if you want some help. I'm in McKinney, but can drive down to you. I can PM you my number.

Scott
                              Scott Ganow
                              Lone Star Performance
                              16300 Midway Rd
                              Addison, TX 75001
                              214-630-5006

Comment

Working...
                              X