Just got a bike!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got a bike!

I picked up a 03 CBR600RR last week. Couple of concerns I have with it and was wondering if any of you experienced guys have any fixes.

First thing is that it gets hot. Just the other day I went a couple of miles through pretty heavy traffic. It got up to 243 degrees before I was able to get going and get some air to it.

The other issue is the speedometer reads above the actual speed. I first noticed it when I was getting passed up alot while doing the speed limit. Then I rode with a buddy with a 06 CBR and we confirmed it. His read 35 and mine said 43. The original owner put on a sprocket with more teeth I believe - would this affect the speedometer. If so how would I get this fixed?

Any input would be great. Thanks guys!
    2008 GT - cammed, 93 octane tune, 326 to the wheels

it's going to get hot in this heat no matter what, especially in traffic. split lanes. but flush your coolant and put some of that ice shit in...speedo healer for the speedo prob.

Comment

Hey there, congrats on the purchase!

243 even in this heat and in mild traffic seems to be pretty hot IMO. I don't think i've seen over 225 in mine. It definitely could not hurt to drain and replace with new fluid, as it probably hasn't been done in a very long time. Lastly, you could install a manual fan switch.

Most speedometers are 5-10% off from factory and even worse if the bike has sprockets. I noticed a long while ago cruising at 90 or so and was thinking WTF, why are cars passing me. I've since installed a stem mount GPS bracket on my bike and verified it to be about 10% off.

I just installed sprockets and ordered the SpeedoDRD with it. It was very simple to install and setup and now it is right on with my GPS. I ordered from motomummy.

It appears you need the H1. Also, the customer service was really good from SpeedoDRD.

Stay safe and stay hydrated in this crappy weather!

Comment

Does the fan on the radiator work?

As for the speed discrepancy, a speedo healer or revert back to the stock gearing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rlhay2 View Post
          Does the fan on the radiator work?

As for the speed discrepancy, a speedo healer or revert back to the stock gearing.
          Even stock gearing is not accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by Skidmark View Post
            Hey there, congrats on the purchase!

243 even in this heat and in mild traffic seems to be pretty hot IMO. I don't think i've seen over 225 in mine. It definitely could not hurt to drain and replace with new fluid, as it probably hasn't been done in a very long time. Lastly, you could install a manual fan switch.

Most speedometers are 5-10% off from factory and even worse if the bike has sprockets. I noticed a long while ago cruising at 90 or so and was thinking WTF, why are cars passing me. I've since installed a stem mount GPS bracket on my bike and verified it to be about 10% off.

I just installed sprockets and ordered the SpeedoDRD with it. It was very simple to install and setup and now it is right on with my GPS. I ordered from motomummy.

It appears you need the H1. Also, the customer service was really good from SpeedoDRD.

Stay safe and stay hydrated in this crappy weather!
            I was just showing 241 on an 06 600RR at a light. They all do this in bad traffic when it's 100+.

I've had about a dozen 03-06 600RRs, 4 this summer, FWIW.

Stock gearing on one of those is 16&43. Too be that much off at low-speed I bet you're down 1 in the front and plus 2 or 3 in the rear.

You can either put the sprockets back to stock or get a speedo healer. Like everyone is saying fresh coolant.
            US Politics in three words - Divide and Conquer

Comment

Hmm, I duno, I just haven't personally seem those temps on my bike. Could be the fact though that Suzukis are the best.

Comment

they all get warm, radiator and cooling systems are marginal at best for weight..........
                pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

Originally posted by Skidmark View Post
                  Could be the fact though that Suzukis are the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Grape View Post
                    they all get warm, radiator and cooling systems are marginal at best for weight..........
                    This - At the Pro level even in classes that heavily restrict mods you'll still see bikes with radiators double the size of OEM.

Googling around, found this - Radiator from an AMA Formula Xtreme bike from the OP's gen of 600RR

This is a stocker;

Comment

Originally posted by Hobie View Post
                      This - At the Pro level even in classes that heavily restrict mods you'll still see bikes with radiators double the size of OEM.

Googling around, found this - Radiator from an AMA Formula Xtreme bike from the OP's gen of 600RR

This is a stocker;

$$$$$$$$$$$
                      Ded

Comment

Jesus. Some of those are half of what I paid for my bike.. I don't think I could spend 2500 on an aluminum radiator.
                        Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                        Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

I saw 231 today on my RC. They run hot anyways. The second fan is programmed to come on at 240*. I did switch the coolant to Cycle Logic Engine Ice. I would definitely say there was an improvement in temps with using this stuff.

Superior heat reduction for maximum performance. Engine Ice Hi-Performance Coolant provides superior heat transfer to maximize horsepower output in all powersport vehicles. Keep your cool no matter how hot the competition or how treacherous the terrain becomes.

Down side was that I paid $50 for a gallon of it from Two Wheel World in Arlington. That's only because I wanted right then. If you can wait, then order it online.
                          Owner of Titan Towing

We have your towing needs covered!
                          http://www.titantowing.net
                          -------------------------------

Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here to become a paid member!

Comment

That ice stuff doesn't last long. Wast of money. Too bad they don't offer different temp t-stat. Switching to a larger radiator would benifit more.

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnboy View Post
                              That ice stuff doesn't last long. Wast of money. Too bad they don't offer different temp t-stat. Switching to a larger radiator would benifit more.
                              I haven't blown up an RR yet and I've seen 245 that I can remember. It only happens in 100+ degree traffic. Once you're rolling and getting airflow it goes down.

Some stunters that spend all afternoon idleing around a parking lot on one wheel run an R6 "S" fan in addition to the stock fan.

Off the top of my head the stock fan doesn't even kick on until 219.

Weirdest thing to me is I've never heard or seen my bikes boiling over. Makes me wonder how accurate the gauge is.

My old F3 would boil over in traffic back in the day, but it had an analog gauge. The bike would be boiling over before the gauge was at the "H" too

Put something like 65k miles on that bike which has 12k on it when I got it. I was young, dumb, and broke. That bike was abused and neglected. Fonda' Honda.

Comment

Working...
                              X