Dirtbike seat height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirtbike seat height

Can you adjust the suspension to change the seat height on dirtbikes? My hardest problem is being short (5'7"). However I see shorter people than me put both feet on the ground while riding dirtbikes when I have a hard time getting one when riding other peoples bikes. It seems the Kawi 250F has the shortest seat height of 37.2" when comparing all the 250 and 450s on Kawi, Suzuki, KTM, and Yamaha.
    www.dfwdirtriders.com

you can with the smaller (aka kids) dirtbikes. Companies make lowering links for them. I bought one for my son, but have not installed it yet, so I can't tell you how much it will affect the suspension.
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

you can make the suspension softer or buy a slimmer seat or cut it down. you can unclamp the forks on the front and slide them up a little and adjust the mono shock

Comment

I was just curious because I see shorter people then me touch the ground easily on 250 and 450 dirtbikes when I have to lean a little to put one foot down.
        www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

You can adjust the sag down, but it will have ill-effects on your suspension if it's too much. Around 4" of race sag for 250-450 is about right. A lowering link and/or shaving the seat down would be a better choice.

Comment

+1 on the sag. You measure before you sit on the bike then after and it that is how you determine sag. Should be around 90-100mm. You have to usually set the sag for each rider. Just look up how to do it online.

Comment

I have the same problem. It doesn't help that I am 140 lbs and don't compress the spring at all. I have to putt around on my toes and it makes it easy for me to topple over.
              Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
              Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
                I have the same problem. It doesn't help that I am 140 lbs and don't compress the spring at all. I have to putt around on my toes and it makes it easy for me to topple over.
                Exactly.... once I get going I am fine lol.
                www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
                  If your not getting enough sag you need a softer spring.

Comment

I'm 5 7" 160lbs and I have no problem on full size dirt bikes.
                    you just put one foot down. What's the damn problem !
                    you wanna ride or not ?

For the love of God do not be so stupid as to think setting the sag more will help you out.
                    the only thing I've heard of that would be nice is a lowered subframe a couple inches.
                    However the last guy i talked to that had this said his did bottom more easily.

Personally I'm just going to live with it. It's only really that annoying on trails and steep inclines where you are going ultra slow. Like arenacross and other nasty obstacle course.

I'd say there are ten times more other things to be annoyed about being short -
                    shorter arms , shorter legs . All the tall guys have it made , they have better freedom of movement and can also definitely get over the rear of the bike better.
                    Any suggestions there ? different bar bend?

Comment

btw when you stop, it's simple math....
                      stop , put whatever leg you want down , lean the bike that direction.
                      dude it works fine if you are 5 ' 6" or 7"
                      now if you are 5' 4" or shorter.... I would suggest doing something more modification wise.
                      I used to struggle a little with this when I started riding dirt and it can all be easily worked around with riding practice. The only really hard thing to do is transition from having a foot down on one side to the other side .
                      It's like your ass gets caught on the seat or something.
                      Like if you are going real slow in tight woods occasionally. Even then momentum should keep you going fine >5mph.

Being short is an advantage in trails with fallen logs / vines , etc!! LOL

Comment

It was really a complaining/whining thread as much as it was curiosity. Yes I can ride the bigger bikes and I have. I have seen shorter people than me put both feet down before and was curious if they had altered their bike or something.
                        www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Move the forks up in the clamps and install one of these...

Original motorcycle lowering links. Motorcycle lowering for Aprilia, Beta, BMW, GasGas, Husqvarna, Honda, Kawasaki, KTM, Sherco, TM, and Yamaha. How to lower a motorcycle lower dirt bike motorcycle rear end

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
                            Move the forks up in the clamps and install one of these...

http://koubalink.com/
                            Dave, can you just give me longer legs?
                            www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

No, but I can give your ol' lady a longer leg.

Comment

Working...
                              X