Cheap platforms for a cafe style bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap platforms for a cafe style bike

been looking at cb750's, but would like input as far as other cheaper bikes that are easy to convert. this will be a low budget project so keep that in mind. Early 70's would probably be best, but i'm open

This is the look i'm going for

Got a buddy at work trying to get rid of his cafe bike. Its a cb750 let me know if you are interested ?
    07 GT500
    05 SRT10
    88 turbocoupe T-bird
    93 Cobra
    86 coupe
    Ducati 848

Comment

Any of the 4 cylinder CB's (350,500,550,750) or the early Kawasaki KZ's make good cafe bikes. You can probably pick up the 500's for a lot less than the bigger ones......and really....the 750's aren't a lot faster. I had my old 71 CB500-4 up to almost 120 once so it had enough power...but it sure didn't feel safe going that fast.

Comment

Originally posted by mk5.0 View Post
        Got a buddy at work trying to get rid of his cafe bike. Its a cb750 let me know if you are interested ?
        really looking for a DIY build....whats he asking?

Comment

You are the 99%

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
            You are the 99%
            Because i like cafe racers? LMAO nice try.

Comment

Originally posted by Pro88LX View Post
              Because i like cafe racers? LMAO nice try.

Not that alone, but the glasses aren't helping any either.

I've been wanting to do a cafe build as well. I can't find the time currently however.
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                Not that alone, but the glasses aren't helping any either.

I've been wanting to do a cafe build as well. I can't find the time currently however.
                Fuck you Brent! I did just get the new iPhone too.........

I rode a buddys Triumph Thruxton 900 the other day and im hooked. Not as fast as a crotch rocket obviosly, but there is no denying the cool factor.

Comment

I like the look of that, dude. If I could ride a bike, I'd definitely roll one.
                  How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Originally posted by The Geofster View Post
                    I like the look of that, dude. If I could ride a bike, I'd definitely roll one.
                    are you physically unable, or just dont know how? Its easy to learn....

Comment

Originally posted by Pro88LX View Post
                      are you physically unable, or just dont know how? Its easy to learn....
                      Don't know how, don't want to learn. Too many idiots on the road and my pops has been in an accident and my uncle has been in two, so I just choose not to.
                      How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Originally posted by The Geofster View Post
                        Don't know how, don't want to learn. Too many idiots on the road and my pops has been in an accident and my uncle has been in two, so I just choose not to.
                        I hear ya. Almost lost my uncle in a bad motorcycle accident about 10 years ago.

Comment

I'm currently building one. I bought a '79 KZ750 twin for $200. I've got around $425 in it now. I'm closing in on finishing it up in the next couple months.

I shortened the tail section, seat pan, recessed the tail light, and cut the seat cushion down. Getting the seat re-upholstered shortly. Clubman bars are on order.

It will be rough when it's finished, but I'll ride it that way for quite some time.
                          When I get tired of the it looks I'll go for the phase 2.

I've seen clean running ones going for $500-$850.

Comment

Originally posted by Muffrazr View Post
                            I'm currently building one. I bought a '79 KZ750 twin for $200. I've got around $425 in it now. I'm closing in on finishing it up in the next couple months.

I shortened the tail section, seat pan, recessed the tail light, and cut the seat cushion down. Getting the seat re-upholstered shortly. Clubman bars are on order.

It will be rough when it's finished, but I'll ride it that way for quite some time.
                            When I get tired of the it looks I'll go for the phase 2.

I've seen clean running ones going for $500-$850.
                            Kick ass! Id be interested in seeing pics if you have any!

Also if you hear of any cheap running cb750's holla at a nigga!

Comment

You'll pay a little more for the CB's as they are one of the more desired bikes for this type of project.

In a quick Craigslist search (statewide!! lol) I found a few in Austin. There is a 91 cb750 in Dallas for $1100 obo. It is still a framed bike that would have more up to date suspension and a little more power. The pics look to be an air cooled motor. There are others in Dallas as well. A few in the Killeen-temple area as well. San Antonio has some as well.

I'll see about getting some pics up. I've got a little more work to do with my seat cushion before I get it upholstered.

Comment

Working...
                              X