X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear tire life

well i think my last rear tire lasted only 2200 miles
    was a 009 shinko
    I think i got the shinko for like 70$, but damn is that disappointing!

i ordered a bridgestone battleax this time, 103$ i think
    should last longer since it's dual compound

what miles you guys getting ? (sportbikes or motards only please)

009 Raven? I was getting 10k miles out of the ones I've ran on a 1200 Bandit, SV650, BMW R1150R, and FJR. That Husky must have some serious torque output and you must have a heavy wrist lol.

I've got a set of Shinko 011 Verge waiting to go on the front and rear of my FZ6 right now.

My guess is short of something being wrong with that tire you're going to see the same or less mileage out f that Bridgestone. I always got the same mileage out of my Battleax touring tires that I did out of the Shinkos. Same for the Pilot Roads and Pilot Road 2s.
    2004 Suzuki DL650
    1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

10k miles out of a tire? must ride like a puss..

ive ran a 009 and got maybe 4k out of it...didnt really like it though, too hard of a compound

i have a 005 on the back now with around 2k on it, much better suited tire for how i like to ride.

02 bandit 1200

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
        10k miles out of a tire? must ride like a puss..

ive ran a 009 and got maybe 4k out of it...didnt really like it though, too hard of a compound

i have a 005 on the back now with around 2k on it, much better suited tire for how i like to ride.

02 bandit 1200
        My last cheapy Shinko rear lasted about 3 thousand miles, Michelin Pilot Power lasted about the same, my current Pilot Road II is at about 2 thousand now and it shows almost no wear. I'm sold on the Pilot Road II....excellent traction, very good handling, and so far they seem to have great life.

Comment

I don't ride WFO all the time. talk to the some of the guys I ride with and I'm not ripping up the straights and doing wheelies all the time. I corner as deep as I can as to me that's part of the fun but I've never had an issue getting 10 k miles out of rear tire as long as it's a "touring" or "sport touring" tire. I'm just not as interested in straight line stuff as some of my buddies who like to ride a 100+ A LOT and accelerate as hard as they can with some wheelies thrown in here and there.
          2004 Suzuki DL650

Comment

PP ftw.

Comment

When I run Pilot Powers I'm getting a flat spot at around 1k miles. When I tried the Dunlop Q2 I had about 1500 miles on it and about 5 good burnouts and it still looked new.

I sell my bikes pretty quick though, so I couldn't even tell you how long they'd truly last.

Comment

have 2k on pilot road 3 and it grips better than the old "sport" tire and has zero wear.

Comment

well i do have a problem with riding around WOT, but I mean it's a 500 WTF else are you gonna do ?

What tire pressures you guys run ?
                  I was running a lowish pressure (i think 16 -18 psi) because it was really helping the rear end.
                  and basically the middle is worn a lot more than im used to seeing my CBR 600 did to a tire.

besides WOT a ton I couldn't really think of any other reason i would be getting less than 3K out of the tire. I don't downshift a lot or hard

Comment

What does the manual say to run? I've always ran my tires at manuf recommended pressures and been happy with those. At sub 20 psi pressures you're building up a lot of heat on that tire. I'd bet that's where most of your wear is coming in.

I'd honestly be worried about tire failure at those pressures of you run highway speeds much at all.

Sent from my iPhone
                    2004 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Originally posted by Downs View Post
                      What does the manual say to run? I've always ran my tires at manuf recommended pressures and been happy with those. At sub 20 psi pressures you're building up a lot of heat on that tire. I'd bet that's where most of your wear is coming in.

I'd honestly be worried about tire failure at those pressures of you run highway speeds much at all.

Sent from my iPhone
                      word....i go a little lighter in the rear, but there's still 32 pounds back there..35-38 for the front

Comment

I keep my front and rears pretty close to stock air pressure and it seems pretty happy that way. I wore my last front (Pilot Power) down to damn near showing cord and I bet it had maybe 5k on it (my bike is pretty damn heavy...and this was pretty intense riding up in the Arkansas mountains and the Triple Sisters near Fredericksburg). When I put on the Pilot Road II it was like switching to a totally different bike....handling is MUCH sharper, smoother, less noise, and it seems to have considerably better traction in turns.

Comment

damn i bet that was it.
                          I'll run 25 from now on and see if the rear end gets too sloppy.
                          I just can't be replacing tires this damn fast.

Shit did stick well though on the rear! which can be a little tricky on a tard they're so light.
                          getting your weight towards the front of the seat helps a ton too. maybe i better focus on that.

Comment

30 rear 35 front is what i ran on my pilot powers. that's a cold temp, so hot they may gain a little if its even noticeable.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                              I keep my front and rears pretty close to stock air pressure and it seems pretty happy that way. I wore my last front (Pilot Power) down to damn near showing cord and I bet it had maybe 5k on it (my bike is pretty damn heavy...and this was pretty intense riding up in the Arkansas mountains and the Triple Sisters near Fredericksburg). When I put on the Pilot Road II it was like switching to a totally different bike....handling is MUCH sharper, smoother, less noise, and it seems to have considerably better traction in turns.
                              Kind of crazy better traction in turns. The pilot powers are a lot softer.

Cool visual...

Comment

Working...
                              X