jets, tubing and mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jets, tubing and mods

ON my 2000 Bandit 1200, its got a gutted stock can, and since I have no histrory on the bike, Im assuming not much else.

As with all internet info, some of it is good and some is complete junk. Should I be concerned with rejetting it, modding the airbox, etc? Some reports seem to point to some sort of drivability issues down low with different jetting etc, and that part is great.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

If driveability is good, there is no popping, and the spark plugs are good, then I wouldn't touch it.

Modding the airbox has always had mixed results. For example, my bike has a solid 50/50 chance on results. It worked on mine, but doesn't work for others. I also only cut mine to allow the airflow to come in directly over the K&N filter, instead of the usual method of removing everything except for the ring that bolts to the airbox. K&N filters are another thing that a lot of SuperHawk owners don't recommend, but mine already had it on there.

The only reason I modded my airbox was because I have two 48mm CV carbs and the openings for air into the box were 33mm each. I researched how every one else modded the box and felt like that would create a lot of turbulence.

It is possible that your carbs will need attention once you have modded your airbox, due to the empty can.

Comment

Yeah, driveability is great. In fact, I dont have some of the issues with cold startup that Ive seen in searches. Ill pull a plug or 4 and check them, maybe this bike had jets put in at some point. It smells a bit fuel-y at idle and will pop a tick at high RPM shifts.
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

mines jetted and piped, and last time i had the tank off i believe there was a nice size hole cut in the top of the box....guessing someone did that before me

runs good.. geared too, so itll pull smooth to redline in every gear

dont really have carb icing problems here in texas, but on those few cold days we have, she's a bit more finnicky and likes the choke

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
          mines jetted and piped, and last time i had the tank off i believe there was a nice size hole cut in the top of the box....guessing someone did that before me

runs good.. geared too, so itll pull smooth to redline in every gear

dont really have carb icing problems here in texas, but on those few cold days we have, she's a bit more finnicky and likes the choke
          I was hoping you'd chime in.

Im also about to order a chain, and I was told sprokets would be good to replace at that time. Down, up, stock?

Comment

what are you trying to do with it? you wont hit redline in top gear with stock sprockets, so i went two up on the back (47t) and a stock 15t counter sprocket.

i always get an aluminum rear and a steel counter. 70-75 at 5k rpms...still get roughly 140-150 miles to a tank beating the piss out of it.

Comment

Hmm, Im constantly hunting for a 6th gear, maybe ill keep it stock...

Comment

if youre more about economy, a 44t or 43t rear will net you a little more comfortable cruising rpm and power should be good still. lot's of torque on tap
                Last edited by dsrtuckteezy; 08-16-2012, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Is there a difference in the ebay chains that are $75 and the $200 ones?

Comment

yes...i, however, run a standard bikemaster 530 o-ring chain with a tensile strength of 9100 lbs. it's no d.i.d or ek, and it does have slightly lower tensile strength then what's recommended for the b12, but it's held up fine for 10k miles and it hasnt had an easy life. it's about do for replacement. keep it clean and lubed.

$77 on bikebandit, and they have anything else you could possibly need (aftermarket or stock) for your bandit...also they award bandit bucks when you buy stuff that you can apply to your next order, and their shipping is fast. i dont even dick around with ebay anymore.

just make sure you use a riveted master link over clip on style. i had a chain spit off at 90mph and it did some gnarley damage to my chain cover and sprocket cover.

Comment

Working...
                    X