Anyone have experience with dual purpose bikes? Ulysses / V-Strom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have experience with dual purpose bikes? Ulysses / V-Strom

I am looking at picking up a new bike for my daily commute into DC due to the horrible roads, potholes that will swallow a mini cooper etc etc. Does anyone have experience with the following:
    KLR 650
    Buell Ulysses
    Suzuki V-Strom 650 or 1000

I am looking at getting one of the above used and with the hard bag options.

My commute right now is about 12 miles one way but it could expand to 40 miles depending upon work location, possible change in housing.

I can't attest for the other two but the v-strom is a pimp bike. Very popular if not the most popular dual purpose budget bike. Very comfortable and powerful if u opt for the bigger engine. Buells I bet are good but there no longer in existence.
    Last edited by Tannerm; 06-19-2014, 11:31 AM. Reason: Fuck u auto correct...

Comment

have you sat on a Vstrom? They're HUGE bikes. I felt tiny on a Vstrom 1000 and i'm 6'1 and 240 lbs. That being said, they share the motor with the now defunct SV650/1000 which was a great motor. very reliable and lots of low end torque. The KLR 650 is much more of a dirtbike then the buell and Vstrom. Lots of vibration and so forth. Again, pretty much a bulletproof bike. I'd be a little leery of the Ulysses especially since Buell no longer exists.
      http://www.amazon.com/Viralution-Don...don+kehlenbeck

www.facebook.com/TheViralution

Comment

When I went to Arkansas and back the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend (the bear encounter trip), I ran across a bunch of guys from around McKinney, members of the Christian Motorcyclist Association. Nice dudes.

One was pushing 70 years of age, if not a little older, and was absolutely tearing up the twisty roads on a V-Strom, complete with hard bags for luggage.

The rest of his group were going to stop in Arkansas at the main CMA campgrounds, but this dude was pushing on.....going to N. Carolina!
        Matts1911SA - XBox Live Gamertag

Comment

Originally posted by O.C. View Post
          I am looking at picking up a new bike for my daily commute into DC due to the horrible roads, potholes that will swallow a mini cooper etc etc. Does anyone have experience with the following:
          KLR 650
          Buell Ulysses
          Suzuki V-Strom 650 or 1000

I am looking at getting one of the above used and with the hard bag options.

My commute right now is about 12 miles one way but it could expand to 40 miles depending upon work location, possible change in housing.
          you willing to come back down to TX to get the bike? Longhorn HD has been sitting on this bike forever (way over a year). I'm sure they'll take a lot less than the listed price.

HD Parts
          paul@maverickhd.com

Comment

Mileage is listed as 0.
            HD Parts
            paul@maverickhd.com

Comment

Originally posted by tribaltalon View Post
              I'd be a little leery of the Ulysses especially since Buell no longer exists.
              Buell exists lol. http://www.erikbuellracing.com/ also, if you buy the buell at a HD dealership, you can get an extended warranty.
              HD Parts
              paul@maverickhd.com

Comment

Originally posted by 89stangGT View Post
                Buell exists lol. http://www.erikbuellracing.com/ also, if you buy the buell at a HD dealership, you can get an extended warranty.
                that bike is awesome.
                "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I also have friends at a Kawasaki dealership that could get ya a good deal on a KLR.
                  HD Parts
                  paul@maverickhd.com

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                    that bike is awesome.
                    that bike is complete bad ass.
                    HD Parts
                    paul@maverickhd.com

Comment

Unfortunately I don't think I am coming back to Texas anytime soon.

It sounds like I need to get out and ride both of them to see which I like better. I've sat on the V-Strom before and liked the feel of it.

Comment

Originally posted by NTexas_V-Star View Post
                        When I went to Arkansas and back the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend (the bear encounter trip), I ran across a bunch of guys from around McKinney, members of the Christian Motorcyclist Association. Nice dudes.

One was pushing 70 years of age, if not a little older, and was absolutely tearing up the twisty roads on a V-Strom, complete with hard bags for luggage.

The rest of his group were going to stop in Arkansas at the main CMA campgrounds, but this dude was pushing on.....going to N. Carolina!
                        Thats just like I would be looking for with the complete hard bag set. Commuting to work with a back pack gets old real quick and carrying a tank bag into the office does as well.

Comment

Originally posted by O.C. View Post
                          Thats just like I would be looking for with the complete hard bag set. Commuting to work with a back pack gets old real quick and carrying a tank bag into the office does as well.
                          His luggage looked serious, like steel, locking boxes serious. Not the stream-lined type stuff you see on some bikes. These things were there for capacity and security.
                          Matts1911SA - XBox Live Gamertag

Comment

Working...
                          X