dark side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dark side

doing the unthinkable and picking up a cruiser tommorrow. 2004 honda vtx 1300c. has a few nice aftermarket bits. overall a decent looking cruiser for a cheap price. i'll still have the rc51 for my thrill seeking, just hoping the vtx will have a suitable amount of power to keep me content.

anyone know where i can pick up some assless chaps and handlebar tassles?

Last edited by dsrtuckteezy; 01-19-2015, 02:15 AM.

My dad had a 1300 and I liked it better than the 1800 's that I rode. I was surprised. I went with cash in hand to buy an 1800 one day and left unimpressed. I thought maybe it was just that bike, not the case.

Comment

ya, ive read the 1800 has good power, but is probably better suited as a highway bike.

looking for something that handles ok, has a bit of power, with good looks. this bike seems to fit the bill.

question: how were the brakes? i'm kind of leery of a 600 lb. bike with a single front disc

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
        ya, ive read the 1800 has good power, but is probably better suited as a highway bike.

looking for something that handles ok, has a bit of power, with good looks. this bike seems to fit the bill.

question: how were the brakes? i'm kind of leery of a 600 lb. bike with a single front disc
        On the 1300 they were fine but I could have sworn it was a dual disk. It's been several years though.

Comment

Those vtx's are on my buy list, great looking bike!

Comment

Sweet ride man! You'll enjoy it.
            Matts1911SA - XBox Live Gamertag

Comment

really enjpoying the bike. couple things: the seating of a cruiser can also be painful. you think a way more plush ride over a sportbike, and it is, but with forward controls, all your weight is on your tailbone. i like to cruise it, but i find myself riding it fairly aggressive. the plush suspension can be pretty daunting on high speed curves. it takes bumps very well, but if you hit a dip, you better be fucking holding on lol, because it will try to bounce your ass off. going back and forth from my rc51 and the vtx is weir as hell. takes a minute to get used to either riding position.

did yall know that it is popular for cruiser guys to use car tires on the rear? wtf?

rode around lake whitney yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
                ..did yall know that it is popular for cruiser guys to use car tires on the rear...

Funny you say that, given the title of this thread.

From what I hear it works just fine. You have to "fight" the bike a little to get it off the flat spot but once you get used to it it's not a big deal. And 20k+ out of a rear out of a sub 200 dollor rear..

Comment

Originally posted by Shockeruti View Post
                  Funny you say that, given the title of this thread.

From what I hear it works just fine. You have to "fight" the bike a little to get it off the flat spot but once you get used to it it's not a big deal. And 20k+ out of a rear out of a sub 200 dollor rear..
                  seems highly dangerous to me if you were going to be leaning it over at speed through a corner.

i suppose if youre just putting around town and up and down the highway it could be a viable option. i actually like to ride.

Comment

I wouldn't run a car tire on a mc. It isn't engineered for that application and can alter how your bike handles. I have ridden a few HD touring bikes and a gold wing with a car tire and it was fine going straight down the highway, but as soon as you get into fun, twisty roads and try to ride with any speed it is all over the place. The sidewall isn't built for a side load like you find with a MC tire. I run Michelin Commander 2 on my Road King, average about 15K from a rear and 20k from a front. Ran Pirelli Route 66's on my Honda ACE750 and got 18K from both, plus that was a great tire in the rain and really woke up the handling.

Congrats on the new bike btw. Honda sure has a nice motorcycle.
                    1995 Cobra #404
                    1994 Cobra #1968 **traded**
                    1991 LX Hatch 5.0-Sold

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Snake View Post
                      I wouldn't run a car tire on a mc. It isn't engineered for that application and can alter how your bike handles. I have ridden a few HD touring bikes and a gold wing with a car tire and it was fine going straight down the highway, but as soon as you get into fun, twisty roads and try to ride with any speed it is all over the place. The sidewall isn't built for a side load like you find with a MC tire. I run Michelin Commander 2 on my Road King, average about 15K from a rear and 20k from a front. Ran Pirelli Route 66's on my Honda ACE750 and got 18K from both, plus that was a great tire in the rain and really woke up the handling.

Congrats on the new bike btw. Honda sure has a nice motorcycle.
                      nice. i need new tires. how does the michelin handle? i've beeen running a michelin road 2 on my rc51, and it has over 5k miles and minimal wear. i'm not very easy on them, and that 1000cc v-twin isnt nice to rear tires either.

Comment

I sell a bunch of the commanders and have them on my road king as well. I used to push the metzler me880 but they have been coming apart the last few years. I haven't seen any issues with the Michelin commanders
                        Originally posted by soap
                        i can fix anything from a broken tractor to an aching pussy!!!

Comment

good to hear. i think this bike still has the stock d404 dunlops, even after 20k miles. the front has ok tread, but the sidwall has dry rot cracks. who knows. i know these d404 came stock on the vtx, so possibly could be orginal.

i wish the manufacturers would make their sporbike offerings in a cruiser size lol.

ktm- how much can you get a commander 2 in a 170-80-15, or 180-70-15 size?

Comment

The 180/70B-16 retails for 310. I'd sell you one for 210 installed. But the kicker is you have to drive to Stephenville.
                            Originally posted by soap
                            i can fix anything from a broken tractor to an aching pussy!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ktm300hater View Post
                              The 180/70B-16 retails for 310. I'd sell you one for 210 installed. But the kicker is you have to drive to Stephenville.
                              310!? they look to be $188 on bike bandit, so i would ride down to stephenville for 210 installed for sure. i like that ride, and i can stop at hard 8

also, you meant the 15 in rim, correct? i have a 15, not a 16

Comment

Working...
                              X