Tank work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank work

The fuelshut off of the bottom of my tank is leaking like a mother fucker and needs to be redone. Does anyone have a shop in south fort worth that would fix me up (I'd bring by just the tank).

I realize any metal shop could handle it, but I'd rather a motorcycle shop
    DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Rusted? hole? or just a seal kit needed?
    '

Comment

you mean the petcock? probably just a crapped out diaphragm

Comment

Its a new tank and a new petcock. It looks like it's welded or brazed on. Its leaking. It needs more welding or brazing.
        I may possibly be JB weld.
        The valve was added to the tank.
        DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

welded on? what kind of bike is this? do you have a picture?

usually they are bolted onto the tank, for easy removal to rebuild them and access the in tank fuel filters.

so its leaking from the base, and not the fuel spout? if so i'd use some gasoline approved epoxy and just put it around the seam, or take it to any radiator shop and have them put a bead around it.

Comment

Its and 81 Yamaha xs650 with what I believe is a sportster tank.
            The factory port is blocked off. The tank is angled up, rather than sitting level on a stock bike. Because of this the PO added a new port towards the rear of the tank. He cut a hole and welded or brazed on a new threaded bung. The weld is leaking. I need the weld repaired.

Sure, its threaded into the tank. I guess I made an error in describing the issue. The valve it self isn't leaking. Its the newly added bung.

Good tip on a radiator shop. I was just hoping for a competent bike shop because I feel like they'd be far more careful in preserving the paint on the sides of the tank by keeping the heat to a minimum.
            DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

ah, i gotcha. that should be easy peasy. scottmc hooked me up when my tank was leaking and threw a bead on there.

maybe contact matt off the board (guy building the rwd civic?) i think he's in fort worth and he seems to be pretty proficient at welding.

Comment

Turbostang always helped me out on this stuff but he has disappeared.
                Half of history is hiding the past.

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
                  welded on? what kind of bike is this? do you have a picture?

usually they are bolted onto the tank, for easy removal to rebuild them and access the in tank fuel filters.

so its leaking from the base, and not the fuel spout? if so i'd use some gasoline approved epoxy and just put it around the seam, or take it to any radiator shop and have them put a bead around it.
                  Took your advice on the Epoxy. I got Loc-tite Epoxy Weld that was Fuel rated.
                  Sealed up just fine, and has been for about 2 weeks.

After a good cleaning and removing the tank I saw it wasnt the weld, but a crack (weird) near the weld. It was about 1/2" long and very difficult to see, but it was indeed a crack.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

good deal. now ride that sumbitch!

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
                      good deal. now ride that sumbitch!
                      Hell yea man. I'm really really enjoying having a bike
                      DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Working...
                      X