Kids & Racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kids & Racing

My oldest decided on a whim that he wanted to start racing dirtbikes. Last weekend was his first time to be on a track, and first time to race. He's running the FMF Texas Night Series. He finished 5th overall for the night, and is hooked.

We aren't new to dirtbikes, but we have ridden trails exclusively up to this point. I'm aware of TORN and TCCRA, but being VERY green, I think the competition will be much more stiff and discourage him. Anyone familiar with any other series we should look in to? He's 13 fwiw, riding a KX85. In the TX Night Series he is running the beginner Supermini class. ages 12-16, 85cc-150cc.
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
    My oldest decided on a whim that he wanted to start racing dirtbikes. Last weekend was his first time to be on a track, and first time to race. He's running the FMF Texas Night Series. He finished 5th overall for the night, and is hooked.

We aren't new to dirtbikes, but we have ridden trails exclusively up to this point. I'm aware of TORN and TCCRA, but being VERY green, I think the competition will be much more stiff and discourage him. Anyone familiar with any other series we should look in to? He's 13 fwiw, riding a KX85. In the TX Night Series he is running the beginner Supermini class. ages 12-16, 85cc-150cc.
    No way. Cross country isn't as crazy as you think and the kids in MX are brutally fast on an MX track. Going to be introducing my son to MX this year and nervous as hell about it.

The only thing I would be aware of, I think, is that they run the adult tracks on 85's. However, it'll teach him a lot more bike technique that will round him into a better rider overall.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
      No way. Cross country isn't as crazy as you think and the kids in MX are brutally fast on an MX track. Going to be introducing my son to MX this year and nervous as hell about it.

The only thing I would be aware of, I think, is that they run the adult tracks on 85's. However, it'll teach him a lot more bike technique that will round him into a better rider overall.
      One of the other kids raced TORN previously, but it only lasted a couple races. I'm not positive on this, but I'm pretty sure it was because he was discouraged. And that particular kid is a better and more experienced rider than K is.

He's shown interest in scramblecross though. I need to look and see if they've got a class for him.
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Yeah, they should I need to get Caleb out to that one of these weekends, plus it's close.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
          He's shown interest in scramblecross though. I need to look and see if they've got a class for him.
          Scramblecross does have a class for him

Comment

Burleson track is old school low key and pretty fun. I'll be taking my daughter there soon as she is a beginner as well
            Originally posted by soap
            i can fix anything from a broken tractor to an aching pussy!!!

Comment

word on burleson. super laid back and easy track with great dirt. there is nothing big. actually there is only one jump, if you can call it a jump.

like said above, an 85 will be on the big bike track. torn tracks are usually easier than tccra, but nothing crazy that the minis/ladies cannot do. the winter toro series is typically harder and more technical, meaning they try too hard to make the track slow and difficult. no point in having a track where the little bikes cannot even make the loop. toro might not be around much longer if they keep going in the same direction. i have only seen video of the scramblecross, but it looks awesome.

the tccra poolville race is this weekend. go out there on saturday and practice, see if he is into it. but be warned that poolville is one of the better tracks, they are not all that good and fun. the rain will probably make it awesome actually.

all the local moto tracks are pretty good. some better than others, and some more beginner friendly. johnsonville is about as good as it gets for a everything you could ever want in a motocross track. it is far, but worth it.

there will be sandbaggers no matter what you ride, moto or cross country. parents holding their kids in beginner because that trophy means just as much to them as the kid.

elbows up and more gas, everything else is just railing ruts and nailing sluts.

Comment

Originally posted by jammeejamm View Post
                word on burleson. super laid back and easy track with great dirt. there is nothing big. actually there is only one jump, if you can call it a jump.

like said above, an 85 will be on the big bike track. torn tracks are usually easier than tccra, but nothing crazy that the minis/ladies cannot do. the winter toro series is typically harder and more technical, meaning they try too hard to make the track slow and difficult. no point in having a track where the little bikes cannot even make the loop. toro might not be around much longer if they keep going in the same direction. i have only seen video of the scramblecross, but it looks awesome.

the tccra poolville race is this weekend. go out there on saturday and practice, see if he is into it. but be warned that poolville is one of the better tracks, they are not all that good and fun. the rain will probably make it awesome actually.

all the local moto tracks are pretty good. some better than others, and some more beginner friendly. johnsonville is about as good as it gets for a everything you could ever want in a motocross track. it is far, but worth it.

there will be sandbaggers no matter what you ride, moto or cross country. parents holding their kids in beginner because that trophy means just as much to them as the kid.

elbows up and more gas, everything else is just railing ruts and nailing sluts.
                There is a kid in my kid's class that is 9 (50 amateur/C). He dwarfs the bike, can literally throw it around, etc., and my 6 yr old has no chance of hanging with him. It's horseshit, but trophy hunters rarely do anything in the long term.

Was planning on heading to Poolville, but I'm in finals mood and don't have the time to repack the clutch, replace the stator, and get everything done today.

Comment

Working...
                X