vin sticker question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vin sticker question

i want to remove the big hideous vin sticker on my frame. vin is stamped in the frame neck. what are the laws regarding this, am i ok removing it?

the other day the inspection guy got the vin off the sticker, am i going to have any problems with the inspection place if i tell them to get it off the frame?

just don't ride through Alvarado, and you should be fine
    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

I have never had issue on the 2 I removed, the sticker is similar to a car door jamb sticker. Save it for your convenience and double check with whoever inspects your bikes.
      Last edited by Scott Mc; 08-05-2015, 09:59 PM.

Comment

If you only knew how many guys I have worked with that have no idea where the VIN is on any type of bike.

Sec. 31.11. TAMPERING WITH IDENTIFICATION NUMBERS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person:

(1) knowingly or intentionally removes, alters, or obliterates the serial number or other permanent identification marking on tangible personal property; or

(2) possesses, sells, or offers for sale tangible personal property and:

(A) the actor knows that the serial number or other permanent identification marking has been removed, altered, or obliterated; or

(B) a reasonable person in the position of the actor would have known that the serial number or other permanent identification marking has been removed, altered, or obliterated.

(b) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under this section that the person was:

(1) the owner or acting with the effective consent of the owner of the property involved;

(2) a peace officer acting in the actual discharge of official duties; or

(3) acting with respect to a number assigned to a vehicle by the Texas Department of Transportation or the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles, as applicable, and the person was:

(A) in the actual discharge of official duties as an employee or agent of the department; or

(B) in full compliance with the rules of the department as an applicant for an assigned number approved by the department.

(c) Property involved in a violation of this section may be treated as stolen for purposes of custody and disposition of the property.

(d) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

(e) In this section, "vehicle" has the meaning given by Section 541.201, Transportation Code.
        Whos your Daddy?

Comment

So I'm ok right?

Comment

do not do it.

i had an 01 gsxr 600 that was polished. then it was painted. then it was flat black. the vin sticker removed and reapplied each time.

the vin on the head on the frame became harder to read. well pretty much impossible after all the work.

sold the bike to a friend and he was pulled over. plano police deemed it stolen. the certificate of origin that matched the motor in the frame to my vin helped during my right of possession hearing. the justice of the peace listened to plano's detective lay out his plan to come after me for organized crime and other theft related charges if plano of was awarded possession. he asked me what I thought about it. I told him this was the biggest mistake of my life. he awarded me possession and set me up to get a tx id title for it.

an overzealous cop will fuck your world up if you mess with the vin.

Comment

Originally posted by jammeejamm View Post
              do not do it.

i had an 01 gsxr 600 that was polished. then it was painted. then it was flat black. the vin sticker removed and reapplied each time.

the vin on the head on the frame became harder to read. well pretty much impossible after all the work.

sold the bike to a friend and he was pulled over. plano police deemed it stolen. the certificate of origin that matched the motor in the frame to my vin helped during my right of possession hearing. the justice of the peace listened to plano's detective lay out his plan to come after me for organized crime and other theft related charges if plano of was awarded possession. he asked me what I thought about it. I told him this was the biggest mistake of my life. he awarded me possession and set me up to get a tx id title for it.

an overzealous cop will fuck your world up if you mess with the vin.
              Story is missing some details. Who was the bike titled to? Did you buy it, never change the title, then sell it to your buddy? You can see where it sounds sketchy right?
              Whos your Daddy?

Comment

i hear you, but mine can be perfectly read on the frame, and there's a vin stamped in the motor too. it will never be polished, powder coated or the like.

i think it's legal according to jason's post, although i'd like him to reassure me. either way, i'm going to call the honda dealer and see if i can get a new sticker if i bring my title and bike in to show proof of ownership, and stick it on the battery tray under the seat.

these stickers are impossible to get off without tearing them all up

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
                  So I'm ok right?
                  Good sir, a defense to the prosecution means you can still be charged, just you have a solid defense to the prosecution. If you did catch the right guy, that happened to own that type of bike, and knew there was a VIN number on it, and wanted to file it, it would most likely be a grand jury referral. I only look at the neck of the bike. I to have polished a few frames in my day but still left the VIN intact.

Kind of like a 17 yo having sex with a 16 yo, and they get caught by the parents. The parents can still make us file on him, however the GJ may throw it out depending on circumstances. The three year window gives them that opportunity. It also gives us the opportunity to GJ refer it and not straight file on the kid.

I am a bike guy as you know, and the only place I would look is the neck, where the VINS have been since the 40's or so. Clear as mud right!
                  Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                    If you only knew how many guys I have worked with that have no idea where the VIN is on any type of bike.

Sec. 31.11. TAMPERING WITH IDENTIFICATION NUMBERS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person:

(1) knowingly or intentionally removes, alters, or obliterates the serial number or other permanent identification marking on tangible personal property; or
                    is a sticker considered permanent? i mean, it's a sticker! lol

guess ill just leave it be, and hope honda will give me a new one to put somewhere else.

i posted a thread a while back, but i stopped at the spirits depot one day in glen heights on my rc51, and when i came out of the store, bout to hop on the bike, a blacked out tahoe pulls up behind me, detective looking guy gets out and asks if he can run my vin. something about a lot of stolen bikes and he saw my mismatched colored fairings. this wasnt a traffic stop. i could have easily told him to fuck off. didnt know if i was more annoyed by the profiling, or happy he was proactively looking for stolen bikes. either way i let him do his thing and left

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
                      is a sticker considered permanent? i mean, it's a sticker! lol

guess ill just leave it be, and hope honda will give me a new one to put somewhere else.

i posted a thread a while back, but i stopped at the spirits depot one day in glen heights on my rc51, and when i came out of the store, bout to hop on the bike, a blacked out tahoe pulls up behind me, detective looking guy gets out and asks if he can run my vin. something about a lot of stolen bikes and he saw my mismatched colored fairings. this wasnt a traffic stop. i could have easily told him to fuck off. didnt know if i was more annoyed by the profiling, or happy he was proactively looking for stolen bikes. either way i let him do his thing and left
                      I run them all the time when I see them sitting around. You should be happy he is out looking for stolen bikes. I hate bike thieves with a passion. Good eye on him for noticing your RC didn't have the right colors. I heard you go by me one night but didn't see you. I knew it had to be you by the sound of the bike.
                      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

details were in context of the thread, but if you insist.

title was in my name. bought new at the dealership. that was the only way i could get a copy of the certificate of origin.

my friend, also a coworker, called me when he was pulled over. i went to his location with the title, insurance card in my name and the other key to the bike.

the vin sticker was peeling a little bit(the thin metal type) so that was all plano needed to declare it a stolen bike. they never said anything about the head tube. also, i never reported it stolen.

plano pd would not talk to me, instead i got a letter in the mail for a "right of possession" hearing with the justice of the peace in mckinney. the bike was on hold at signature for theft.

a police friend told me do not worry, they could do compression tests to test the frame for the vin.

the jp gave awarded me possession, and released the bike to me and as said gave me the paperwork to get a texas id number as my new vin(this was a four month process dealing with the tax office in carrolton). when i got to signature, they said it was not released. i showed them the paperwork from the jp. sat for another hour waiting. paid the money to get it out. when i went back to get it. the guys back there acted like they could not find it. signature's yard is not big. i could tell they wanted the bike and was given a polite version of "fuck you" when i left with it from the guy in the back as i started it and pulled it out.

do not mess with the vin on bikes.

Comment

Tampering with the vin is geared towards the one stamped in the frame. Not a sticker that falls off half the time anyway
                          Originally posted by soap
                          i can fix anything from a broken tractor to an aching pussy!!!

Comment

Not if you're a piece of shit cop
                            http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Working...
                            X