Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
    gotta love the lsx!
    I do. But let's not act like they don't have their problems too.
    When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

• They do and I don't know of to many that last over 100k.
      Originally posted by Silverback
      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

• there are more then a few 200k+ ls1's spraying nitrous on ls1tech

Comment

• Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
          Depends on the weight that 420hp has to propel.
          guess i dont know cause i dont own . but trans am weigh close to the same and had less power and felt quick if not actually

"fast"

Comment

• Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
            I do. But let's not act like they don't have their problems too.
            Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
            there are more then a few 200k+ ls1's spraying nitrous on ls1tech

The reason I got rid of my Sierra Denali (6.2) is because of the same issue LSx motors have had for years now, piston slap.

David

Comment

• Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
              They do and I don't know of to many that last over 100k.
              225k and rolling strong in my truck.

Comment

You're probably just overly sensitive. The old 8.8 transmits a lot of NVH regardless of ratio, but of course lower gears will do it more. If I roll the windows up and turn the radio off, I can hear gear whine in the car, some from the trans and some from the rear. It's very subtle though and I don't mind.
                I think you may be right...it's very faint when I do notice it, and to me it's a lot like sometime when you put 3.73's or 4.10's in an old foxbody...at certain speeds you felt/heard the gears.

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
                Rreemo, I turned down the radio, and tried very hard to detect anything like that today on my way in to work. No vibrations, but definitely road noise and some gear noise, but very minimal.
                Thanks for checking man...I think it's probably normal. Interesting thing to me, though, is that I feel it more than I hear it. I think partly just me being overly sensitive and also coming out of that 911 into this car...the Porsche was smooth as silk in all gears and all the way up into 3-digit speeds....this is a whole different animal.

Originally posted by Pooter View Post
                Since you have a '13, you get the recall done for the front lower control arms yet? We had 250mi on it when it was making a creaking noise/feel thru the k-member, theres a TSB out on them currently. We only felt it starting off in first or cruising down a road a little bumpier. If you put it up on ramps and push up on the k-member you can hear/feel it.
                I haven't had back up there at all yet. I've only heard a creaking noise 1 time backing out of my driveway...ironically it was the morning after I put springs it. I put the springs in right at 2000 miles. Is there an actual recall...or just a TSB? I'm wondering if they will give me shit b/c I've changed the springs.

Originally posted by cobrajet69 View Post
                The reason I got rid of my Sierra Denali (6.2) is because of the same issue LSx motors have had for years now, piston slap.

David
                Back in 01' I bought a new Suburban that had that same piston slap from day-1, and it drank oil too....by the time it had ~15K miles on it, it got to where it was using 2-3qts of oil every 4-5K miles. Chevrolet refused to do anything about it, but did eventually offer buy-back credit towards another new one...however they were offering about $2700 less than what CarMax offered me on it, which happened to be only $2500 less than I originally paid for it....so guess where it ended up?

Seriously though....I still like LSx's a lot, have 2 of them in my garage right now waiting to go into my slow-going (and often derailed) projects. Most of them piston slap with no issues from I've heard.
                70' Chevelle RagTop
                (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

• Originally posted by Rreemo View Post
                  I haven't had back up there at all yet. I've only heard a creaking noise 1 time backing out of my driveway...ironically it was the morning after I put springs it. I put the springs in right at 2000 miles. Is there an actual recall...or just a TSB? I'm wondering if they will give me shit b/c I've changed the springs.
                  I have the TSB printed out so when I go I don't want any hassles. It always helps if you go to a friendly dealer, like Grapevine Ford. I hear Skip will let you hang out in his office and let you play with his Fleshlight while you wait...

Ford 2011-2013 Mustang
                  TSB 12-8-24
                  Grunt/Creak/Chirp/Squeak Noise from the front lower control arm over bumps.
                  Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

I have the TSB printed out so when I go I don't want any hassles. It always helps if you go to a friendly dealer, like Grapevine Ford. I hear Skip will let you hang out in his office and let you play with his Fleshlight while you wait...

Ford 2011-2013 Mustang
                    TSB 12-8-24
                    Grunt/Creak/Chirp/Squeak Noise from the front lower control arm over bumps.
                    Hmmm, ours is making a little noise also
                    http://dfwdirtriders.com/ New Website for the off road peeps

Comment

• Originally posted by SNEAKY View Post
                      Per Skip: Use more lube with the fleshlight.
                      Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                      I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                      Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                      Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                      dont downshift!!
                      Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by SNEAKY View Post
                        My '12 didn't do it at first, but around 10-12k (19k now) is started and now its almost unbearable, but only over speed bumps and with the radio off. I also have a 1 inch lip on my garage so I seem to hear it almost daily.

Comment

Well as of today I've had the car for one year and one day, and 23700 miles.

... and two engines.

Apparently the #8 piston was installed with a sledgehammer, which dented the top of the piston, shattered the lands, and broke the compression and oil rings in about a dozen places. That big missing chunk of piston land was gone for quite a while, hence the carbon buildup in there.

As bad as it looks, the car actually ran pretty well except for a little vibration at idle and a check engine light.

Ford completely stood by their product and put a new 2013 service replacement engine in the car. Grapevine Ford did a great job and I am happy as a pig in shit to have it back!

Thank GOD I never modified the car. The first questions from everyone at Ford were "Do you have an intake" and "Have you done a tune". Not that it would have automatically voided the warrantly, but it probably wouldn't have been painless either. As it worked out, it went right through the process and I got the new '13 coated pistons.

So is this the first confirmed #8 with no tune? Makes me think now that Ford has fucked some people.

Comment

• Damn danny!

I have beat the hell out of mine no issuse's

Comment

My '12 didn't do it at first, but around 10-12k (19k now) is started and now its almost unbearable, but only over speed bumps and with the radio off. I also have a 1 inch lip on my garage so I seem to hear it almost daily.
                              oh, we are sitting at 28k
                              http://dfwdirtriders.com/ New Website for the off road peeps

Comment

• Originally posted by Rreemo View Post
                                I think you may be right...it's very faint when I do notice it, and to me it's a lot like sometime when you put 3.73's or 4.10's in an old foxbody...at certain speeds you felt/heard the gears.

Thanks for checking man...I think it's probably normal. Interesting thing to me, though, is that I feel it more than I hear it. I think partly just me being overly sensitive and also coming out of that 911 into this car...the Porsche was smooth as silk in all gears and all the way up into 3-digit speeds....this is a whole different animal.

Back in 01' I bought a new Suburban that had that same piston slap from day-1, and it drank oil too....by the time it had ~15K miles on it, it got to where it was using 2-3qts of oil every 4-5K miles. Chevrolet refused to do anything about it, but did eventually offer buy-back credit towards another new one...however they were offering about $2700 less than what CarMax offered me on it, which happened to be only $2500 less than I originally paid for it....so guess where it ended up?

Seriously though....I still like LSx's a lot, have 2 of them in my garage right now waiting to go into my slow-going (and often derailed) projects. Most of them piston slap with no issues from I've heard.
                                To be fair I never had any real issues other than noise ( knock) but agree, they are hella mills when no issues are apparent. I'll be hard pressed to buy another new GM product after the way they treated my issue ("this is normal... Carbon build up on pistons... Blah blah).

David.

Comment

Working...
                                X