No announcement yet.

New Factory Five 818

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was okay with the first place design until I saw the front! I've considered designing my own car for a while. One day maybe. Got to finish the ranger, the Predator, and the wife's fox vert first.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
      Needs a roof and more chassis. IF that is the final chassis design, it will told in half in a frontal impact. Without a roof, it will not likely pass the broomstick test for most track day organizations and you are left with a nice toy for the street only. I also seriously doubt you will find a subie driveline for a decent price these days and that $15k total parts prices seems REALLY low. Considering everyone that ever builds a F5 car starts with a budget of X and ends up spending between 2X and 4X to finish it....I'm skeptical. I love the idea and effort. REALLY like the 818R design if it had a roof. It will be interesting to see what rolls off the factory floor
      I think those are probably some reasons it hasn't been put out yet. I can't speak for the quality of F5 as I have never built one but I would assume that they wouldn't put something out that someone might get hurt in due to a lack of engineering on F5's part.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
        I think those are probably some reasons it hasn't been put out yet. I can't speak for the quality of F5 as I have never built one but I would assume that they wouldn't put something out that someone might get hurt in due to a lack of engineering on F5's part.
        There may be a reason they have a street roadster and a spec roadster.
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I was always wanting a F5 cobra, i thought it was a great way to rebirth a car. The 15k is just parts though. The labor and upgrades is what kills the project. Its about patience as was mentioned. The reason people spend so much is that some things are going to be beyond the builders skill level so it gets outsourced. Also, over the length of time, individual things get "upgraded" with improvements because at the time it doesnt seem like such a big deal. Suspension, paint, exhaust, fuel system, etc. each one of those can be improved, and since the whole project is occuring over a long time, they dont seem like a big deal. Then before you know it, you have a 60% complete car thats been sitting in the garage for the last 12 months and already cost 3x what your budget was.

Nobody wants to make a shit car. The whole point of building a car is to bring it to what your dream is. And dreams are expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi View Post
            I was always wanting a F5 cobra, i thought it was a great way to rebirth a car. The 15k is just parts though. The labor and upgrades is what kills the project. Its about patience as was mentioned. The reason people spend so much is that some things are going to be beyond the builders skill level so it gets outsourced. Also, over the length of time, individual things get "upgraded" with improvements because at the time it doesnt seem like such a big deal. Suspension, paint, exhaust, fuel system, etc. each one of those can be improved, and since the whole project is occuring over a long time, they dont seem like a big deal. Then before you know it, you have a 60% complete car thats been sitting in the garage for the last 12 months and already cost 3x what your budget was.

Nobody wants to make a shit car. The whole point of building a car is to bring it to what your dream is. And dreams are expensive.
            Right, I see your points. The whole point of my friend an I wanting to buy this car is that it uses WRX donor parts. The WRX is already a decently performing car with decent suspension bits and a stout motor that accepts mods well. So, while it would probably be upgraded sometime in the distant future with "dream parts," the starting point will be a fun weekend car to begin with.

Comment

Front clip looks like a fish.

Comment

I think that would be slick as hell with an LSX.
                Originally posted by BradM
                But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                Originally posted by Leah
                In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                  I think that would be slick as hell with an LSX.
                  Mid-engined LSX....interesting.

Comment

Ultima GTR and done.

Comment

Ultima GTR and done.
                      Didn't know what it was, looked it up, looks freakin awesome.

Comment

FFR has checked that off their list with the GTM

Overview The Fastest Car You Will Ever Build in Your Garage. Note: The GTM is not currently in production, and…

Comment

Didn't know what it was, looked it up, looks freakin awesome.
                          and blazingly fast. It's essentially a race car with street tires on it.

If you are into Top Gear (british version), the Ultima GTR 720 lapped their course in 1:12 something....drove there and back, fully street legal. Nothing has come close except some one off Ferrari with full slicks.

GTR's CAN be built for around $50k. Less if you have skills and time.

Comment

and blazingly fast. It's essentially a race car with street tires on it.

If you are into Top Gear (british version), the Ultima GTR 720 lapped their course in 1:12 something....drove there and back, fully street legal. Nothing has come close except some one off Ferrari with full slicks.

GTR's CAN be built for around $50k. Less if you have skills and time.
                            I've heard the transmission is the hard part... The porsche variant is hard to find, not to mention it can't hold more than 400 hp without major re-working.

Comment

I've heard the transmission is the hard part... The porsche variant is hard to find, not to mention it can't hold more than 400 hp without major re-working.
                              that trans has been around for DECADES...not a problem. Ultima used to have them in stock for whatever motor you want to install. they aren't cheap like a T5, but show me a mid engined trans axle that is!

Comment

Working...
                              X