Pictures request : Smokey Yunick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL from wikipedia:

Another Yunick improvisation was getting around the regulations specifying a maximum size for the fuel tank, by using eleven foot (three meter) coils of 2-inch (5-centimeter) diameter tubing for the fuel line to add about 5 gallons (19 liters) to the car's fuel capacity. Once, NASCAR officials came up with a list of nine items for Yunick to fix before the car would be allowed on the track. The suspicious NASCAR officials had removed the tank for inspection. Yunick started the car with no gas tank and said "Better make it ten,"[3] and drove it back to the pits. He used a basketball in the fuel tank which could be inflated when the car's fuel capacity was checked and deflated for the race.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Most of the acid-dipping stories come from drag racing, since weight and power are all that matter. Cars built for Nascar are usually pretty sturdy since they bang into each other so often.

Smokey was involved with Chevrolet's first 'real' Nascar effort, the Black Widow program in 1957. His ideas for big-truck suspension, brakes, and axles made them winners.

...and it was also his idea to put those same parts on the station wagon tow-vehicles. That way if any racers complained, he could show that the same parts were available on "any" Chevy. He was a genius.

(in case you didn't already know, the Black Widows were fuel injected two-door sedans set up by the factory for racing)
      When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by The Geofster View Post
        Jesus Christ you're a fucking baby.
        Relax. Say whatever you want about me, I don't care. I'm asking for some help here to do something nice for my family. It's not neccessary to be an asshole all the time.

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
        I had heard an anecdote revolving around a tech inspection he had (possibly with that camaro) where the inspectors spent hours looking it over for anything they knew he was up to. The inspector reluctantly gave him him his pass and leaned up against a panel and it crumbled like aluminum foil because it had been acid dipped so much.
        Not bad for creative thinking from a man with nothing more than a elementary school education, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
          Most of the acid-dipping stories come from drag racing, since weight and power are all that matter. Cars built for Nascar are usually pretty sturdy since they bang into each other so often.

Smokey was involved with Chevrolet's first 'real' Nascar effort, the Black Widow program in 1957. His ideas for big-truck suspension, brakes, and axles made them winners.

...and it was his idea to put all those same parts on the station wagon tow-vehicles. That way if any racers complained, he could show that the same parts were available on "any" Chevy. He was a genius.

(in case you didn't already know, the Black Widows were fuel injected two-door sedans set up by the factory for racing)
          According to a few sources I've found he did acid dip that camaro, and apparently that anecdote corresponds to a few other sources, so it looked like he may have brought it over from drag racing.

And yeah I'm really familiar with the black widows, except I do not remember seeing any with the front bumper still on.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Camaro != Nascar

You're right.
            When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
              LOL from wikipedia:
              I'll have to ask again about that story, that's not quite the way I remember that being told me. That does sound like something he would have done though. lol.

Comment

While some inspectors had taken a fuel tank out of his car to get a closer look at it, he started the car up and drove it back to the garage. lol
                that's was always my favorite story. When I heard it told by another driver doing an interview(Petty I think) He claimed that the conversation went as such;
                inspector:"you've broke 51 rules with this car, you're disqualified."
                Smokey:"so I can't race?"
                inspector:"No."
                Smokey:"then make it 52."
                he then got in the car started it up and drove off with the fuel cell setting on the table.

Comment

i've read a lot about his "hot vapor engines" it's truly a mystery if it really worked or not for high mpg fuel saving capabilities

Comment

Originally posted by scootro View Post
                    i've read a lot about his "hot vapor engines" it's truly a mystery if it really worked or not for high mpg fuel saving capabilities
                    I remember they had the hot vapor fiero on powerblock(spiketv) a few years back. neat concept.

Comment

While these aren't pics, it is 4 word docs of his patent(s)...

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
                        I remember they had the hot vapor fiero on powerblock(spiketv) a few years back. neat concept.

http://www.legendarycollectorcars.co...clusive-video/
                        Yea I remember seeing that in hotrod magazine and they tried to screw up his theory! It was either his later days that he was on to something "pure genius" or his ego (aka too much booze) the mad scientist had taken effect. But you gotta love his ambition!

Comment

Camaro != Nascar

You're right.
                          Did I just embarrass myself? I think I did.

Comment

I'd like to have more of his n/a Buick v6 evenfire stuff. Picked up one of his air gap style weiand intakes for my engine build. Couple of my buick v6 guides have some good info by him.

Comment

All of his race cars were a trademark black/gold color combination.

This is my personal favorite of his, the '69 Boss 302.

70' Chevelle RagTop
                              (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Working...
                              X