Picked up a 70 cougar.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked up a 70 cougar.

Been tossing around the idea of getting a classic for my daily driver and I finally pulled the trigger. Picked up a 1970 Cougar. It currently has a 351C 2bbl with a C6 automatic, but I am planning an EFI/Manual transmission swap soon enough. Haven't decided on the exact combo yet, but it has to get over 20MPG. The car isn't in the best of shape, the brakes are in need of help, the floor pans are non existent and there is some rust under the top and in the quarter panels. Nothing too terribly serious yet. Needs carpet and the seats bolted back down. Came with the original owners manual and a bunch of stock parts. Looks like Dallas Mustang has the floor pans for the 64-70 Mustang, which should be the same as this.

Pics suck, I know. Will get better ones in the daylight. Haven't gotten it out of the road yet, but I am pretty sure that it's as slow as it looks.

fred flintstone that bitch around town..
    ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

Originally posted by matts5.0 View Post
      fred flintstone that bitch around town..
      Yep, I was talking about that earlier. I said "Who needs brakes, I can drag my feet Fred Flintstone style"

Comment

My vote goes to a T-56, and an EFI conversion for the Cleveland. If that doesn't get you 20mpg, dibbs on the Cleveland.
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
          My vote goes to a T-56, and an EFI conversion for the Cleveland. If that doesn't get you 20mpg, dibbs on the Cleveland.
          ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

Bitchin cars! Good luck with the project.

Comment

I know very little about the Cleveland engine. Heck I didn't even know there was an EFI conversion for it. Will do some research on it cause a 351W or potentially a 302 with some mods were on my maybe list. I would love to do a T-56 on it, but FUCK they are expensive.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Bitchin cars! Good luck with the project.
              Thanks man.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                I know very little about the Cleveland engine. Heck I didn't even know there was an EFI conversion for it. Will do some research on it cause a 351W or potentially a 302 with some mods were on my maybe list. I would love to do a T-56 on it, but FUCK they are expensive.
                You can EFI convert a 4bbl carb intake very easily. There's a little $500 unit featured in this month's car craft.

Comment

Looks slow

I dig those old Cougars......looks like you have your work cut out for you.

Comment

You can EFI convert a 4bbl carb intake very easily. There's a little $500 unit featured in this month's car craft.
                    Yeah and it seems like they have made adapter plates to make the 5.0L EFI stuff work on the 351C. I am not looking for a power monster by any means, just something to cruise in. Thanks for pointing me in the conversion direction, it will likely save me some serious coin and work.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                      Looks slow
                      I dig those old Cougars......looks like you have your work cut out for you.
                      Lol, rated at 250HP back in 1970, I am sure it's slow as fuck. Definitely have my work cut out for me, but I enjoy doing the work to my own projects. I got it for $2200, so it's not like I am neck deep to start with.

Comment

Yeah and it seems like they have made adapter plates to make the 5.0L EFI stuff work on the 351C. I am not looking for a power monster by any means, just something to cruise in. Thanks for pointing me in the conversion direction, it will likely save me some serious coin and work.
                        Don't forget the three most important ingredients: Ebay, Craigslist, and patience.

Comment

Don't forget the three most important ingredients: Ebay, Craigslist, and patience.
                          I hear that. Priority one is getting it drivable. Once I do that, I can live with the carb/auto while I gather the parts needed. One thing that makes me really happy is that the headlights work perfectly.

Comment

I hear that. Priority one is getting it drivable. Once I do that, I can live with the carb/auto while I gather the parts needed. One thing that makes me really happy is that the headlights work perfectly.
                            Are they vacuum-operated flip-outs?

Comment

Are they vacuum-operated flip-outs?
                              Not sure if they are vacuum or not. Thought the owner said they were hydraulic. I know that they will open with the engine off, so I wouldn't think it's vacuum.

Comment

Working...
                              X