Injured rehab raccoon taught herself to walk on front legs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injured rehab raccoon taught herself to walk on front legs

OK, some of y'all remember the Belly Washer video I posted of one of our rehab raccoons playing in the stream from a garden hose. Fast forward to January 2012 - we released all four raccoons. The two males left immediately. Lucy and Ethel stayed behind for a while, then went their way too. A couple of months back, Lucy came back to us after being attacked by a dog or coyote. We doctored her, she got better, then went on her merry way. We both thought Lucy was pregnant. About a month ago she came back again, this time with a gunshot wound in her left hip. The wound was pretty bad, but we couldn't put Lucy in a cage because it was obvious that she was nursing babies. Anyhow, Lucy's slowly getting better, but can't use the injured leg yet. She taught herself to walk on her front legs while carrying her back legs in the air. Here she is coming up tonight for her evening meal.

Very cool, shame she got shot I guess just someone worried about rabies possibly... Nice yall are able to help out and at least she seems to know where to get help.

What ever happened to the fiberglass ninja turtle?

Comment

Originally posted by Pooter View Post

What ever happened to the fiberglass ninja turtle?
      We saw him for a few weeks at our stock tank. Big rain came and didn't see him anymore - may have migrated with the running water.

Comment

You save them, and I get 20 bucks a coon. My uncle had one as a pet when I was a kid. Very cool critters.

Comment

Racoons are cool as hell IMO. My old neighbor in Austin had a cat and would put food out for it. One night I heard a bunch of noise and went out to check it out and there was a big ass coon eating the cat food. It was an apt complex so it was about 2 feet from me. looked up at me like "what" and just continued stuffing it's face. I love it when wild animals just don't give a fuck.
          "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
            Racoons are cool as hell IMO. My old neighbor in Austin had a cat and would put food out for it. One night I heard a bunch of noise and went out to check it out and there was a big ass coon eating the cat food. It was an apt complex so it was about 2 feet from me. looked up at me like "what" and just continued stuffing it's face. I love it when wild animals just don't give a fuck.
            Apartment raccoons are pretty desensitized when it comes to human interaction.

I was sitting in my garage smoking a cigar one evening, and from around the right side corner I see a raccoon's head peek around the open garage door, completely horizontal. Just the head. We made eye contact for a good 3 seconds and, just like some comedy film, he sloooooooooooooowly pulls his head back around the door and out of sight. I sat there somewhat perplexed, like, "did that just really happen?" Sure enough, about 15 seconds later, the sideways head sloooooooooooooowly comes around the door frame again. Just his head. I looked at him and stayed in my chair, took a puff off my cigar, and watched. He turned around and proceeded to go through my neighbor's trash for a good 10 minutes. I stayed in my chair enjoying my cigar, the raccoon was at most 20 feet from me the entire time. They're smart as hell and seem to have a good sense of situational awareness, he figured out pretty quick that I wasn't going to hurt him.
            Originally posted by PGreenCobra
            I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
            Originally posted by Trip McNeely
            Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
            dont downshift!!
            Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
                Apartment raccoons are pretty desensitized when it comes to human interaction.

I was sitting in my garage smoking a cigar one evening, and from around the right side corner I see a raccoon's head peek around the open garage door, completely horizontal. Just the head. We made eye contact for a good 3 seconds and, just like some comedy film, he sloooooooooooooowly pulls his head back around the door and out of sight. I sat there somewhat perplexed, like, "did that just really happen?" Sure enough, about 15 seconds later, the sideways head sloooooooooooooowly comes around the door frame again. Just his head. I looked at him and stayed in my chair, took a puff off my cigar, and watched. He turned around and proceeded to go through my neighbor's trash for a good 10 minutes. I stayed in my chair enjoying my cigar, the raccoon was at most 20 feet from me the entire time. They're smart as hell and seem to have a good sense of situational awareness, he figured out pretty quick that I wasn't going to hurt him.
                Fortunately he wasn't laying on your bed or you would have let him have it with the Glock/Kahr

Comment

I'd hit it.
                  Ded

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                    Fortunately he wasn't laying on your bed or you would have let him have it with the Glock/Kahr
                    Only if he had a FUBU jacket on.
                    Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                    I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                    Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                    Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                    dont downshift!!
                    Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

A guy who owns the liquor store on NH hwy across from Elm Fork shooting range feeds them cat food everyday. I stopped in to get a bottle one evening and there were 5 of them sitting right by the edge of the building stuffing their faces with cat food.
                      Originally posted by Nash B.
                      Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Comment

Someone needs better aim. Those furry bitches will clean out 300 lbs of corn in no time.

Comment

Heaven has a spot for you for all your help.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggin Wagon View Post
                            Heaven has a spot for you for all your help.
                            Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
                              Only if he had a FUBU jacket on.
                              holy chit...ahahahahahahah

Comment

Working...
                              X