No announcement yet.

Man pays ticket with 137 origami pig dollar bills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boy, he sure showed them by unfolding them all...

Comment

Found this interesting.
      http://www.treasury.gov/resource-cen...al-tender.aspx

Legal Tender Status

I thought that United States currency was legal tender for all debts. Some businesses or governmental agencies say that they will only accept checks, money orders or credit cards as payment, and others will only accept currency notes in denominations of $20 or smaller. Isn't this illegal?

The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.
      I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by likeitfast55 View Post
        Several years ago Congress passed a law stating that pennies were not legal tender. Just for this reason. I believe that they are the only current currency that can be refused.
        I tried to pay for my sons apartment rent while in college on a Friday. On Saturday it would be late and incur ridiculous late fees. They refused cash because they had no way to store it.(not my problem)

Long story short - lawyer involved -- apt management- apology-- 1 month free rent!

He who knows the rules -- wins!
        According to Snopes you are mistaken:
        http://www.snopes.com/business/money/pennies.asp
        I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by Skidonenko View Post
          First I though about this one

I did this a couple years ago at Excalibur Towing here in Arlington. Long story short, they wouldn't take my driver's credit card and I don't have pin #'s on my drivers' cards so they can't be run as debit. I offered to write a business check or give them my debit card # (pin included bc i had the bank on the phone to issue a temp pin #). None of these would work, they wanted cash or my debit card in person. So since I had to go down there, I made a quick stop at Chase and withdrew something like $186 in coins. The bank started with pennies, then on to nickels, and finally dimes to make up the total. Unfortunately the bank can only let go of so many coins, otherwise it would've been all pennies! I spent the time to unroll all of it and put in a five gallon bucket. It was nearly full and weighed 102 lbs.

They called APD out there to see what they would do. After the cops got done laughing about the situation they basically told them that the only thing they could do is require me to roll it all or stand there and count it all out as I passed it under the window one hand full at a time. So after 4 hours of counting and not letting another customer go in front of me we finally counted it all out! They released the vehicle and weren't happy about it!
          Owner of Titan Towing

We have your towing needs covered!
          http://www.titantowing.net
          -------------------------------

Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here to become a paid member!

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
            I did this a couple years ago at Excalibur Towing here in Arlington. Long story short, they wouldn't take my driver's credit card and I don't have pin #'s on my drivers' cards so they can't be run as debit. I offered to write a business check or give them my debit card # (pin included bc i had the bank on the phone to issue a temp pin #). None of these would work, they wanted cash or my debit card in person. So since I had to go down there, I made a quick stop at Chase and withdrew something like $186 in coins. The bank started with pennies, then on to nickels, and finally dimes to make up the total. Unfortunately the bank can only let go of so many coins, otherwise it would've been all pennies! I spent the time to unroll all of it and put in a five gallon bucket. It was nearly full and weighed 102 lbs.

They called APD out there to see what they would do. After the cops got done laughing about the situation they basically told them that the only thing they could do is require me to roll it all or stand there and count it all out as I passed it under the window one hand full at a time. So after 4 hours of counting and not letting another customer go in front of me we finally counted it all out! They released the vehicle and weren't happy about it!

Fucking towing companies!!

Comment

Working...
            X