Any Great Dane owners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Great Dane owners?

Do any of you have issues with your Great Danes having the runs? For his diet started with Blue, switched to some other expensive health food, and now he is on some frozen/fresh meat scraps that were recommended by a vet. Looking for any help. Thanks

De Oppresso Liber.

No, but a couple mastiffs on jams without issue. They are all different though.

Changing what they are eating gives them the runs, stick with one for longer.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

He has been on each one for several months, so I don't think it's the change in diet. That's what the vet thought too.
      De Oppresso Liber.

Comment

Some dogs just have sensitive stomachs. Are you using treats? That might be an issue more than the food.

Comment

I feed my Danes nutro. They shit bigger than I do.

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
            I feed my Danes nutro. They shit bigger than I do.
            You're still alive I see.

Nice Dane!

Comment

Originally posted by Mukesh View Post
              You're still alive I see.

Nice Dane!
              Yeah, improving.

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
                Yeah, improving.
                Good to hear!

Kinda

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I am actually on a business trip and my wife is the one that asked me to post this. I know she will be reading this soon, so to my wife "Create your own account". For pictures of her look at the halloween thread around Oct'10.
                  De Oppresso Liber.

Comment

I have a 5 month old harliquin Dane. Their stomachs are very sensitive to diet change. The runs should last a couple of days then do better.

Comment

I have had Great Danes for almost 20 years. 1-2 at a time not a breeder or anything. They do get the runs from time to time but usually short lived. I know there are all kinds of dog diets out there now but for mine I've always stuck to dry food and primarily it has been some form of pedigree brand and I haven't had any issues with it. This reminds me one time one of them years ago got the runs bad and it was all over the wall and furniture by the door. Guess he was trying his best to hold it until he exploded since it was during the day with nobody home. Not a pretty thing to come home to!
                      2017 Infinity Q50s Red Sport
                      2002 NSX

Comment

My big English Mastiff enjoyed Holistic Select, but it's a little pricey.

Comment

Originally posted by aCid View Post
                          I have a 5 month old harliquin Dane. Their stomachs are very sensitive to diet change. The runs should last a couple of days then do better.
                          I didn't know you had a Dane?!?! Where did you get your Harlequin? That's what I want next(color wise.)

Originally posted by odenspike View Post
                          I have had Great Danes for almost 20 years. 1-2 at a time not a breeder or anything. They do get the runs from time to time but usually short lived. I know there are all kinds of dog diets out there now but for mine I've always stuck to dry food and primarily it has been some form of pedigree brand and I haven't had any issues with it. This reminds me one time one of them years ago got the runs bad and it was all over the wall and furniture by the door. Guess he was trying his best to hold it until he exploded since it was during the day with nobody home. Not a pretty thing to come home to!
                          Couldnt have said it better.
                          Mine will have the runs randomly but it's usually only for a few days..

Comment

Originally posted by 95ragtop View Post
                            Do any of you have issues with your Great Danes having the runs? For his diet started with Blue, switched to some other expensive health food, and now he is on some frozen/fresh meat scraps that were recommended by a vet. Looking for any help. Thanks
                            Are the meat scraps you're currently feeding a commerically sold product or something you make at home? Does it have any grains in them? Some dogs just have a hard time with grain. I feed mine Nature's Domain which is a grainless food made by Diamond. It's only sold at Costco but there are plenty of other grainless foods you can find at Petsmart or where ever.

Here's mine getting some sun

Comment

We presently have 4 Danes. one of the pup (11 months old) has had problems with certain foods. Seems that any "human" food gives her a very soft stool and or the runs.
                              Vet suggested a lamb and rice based dog food, and also gave them Purina FortiFlora for occasional bouts.
                              I recommend a stool sample to check for a bacterial infection, worms or coccidia, which sources can include being around other infected dogs, roaches and from eating their stool...

Bill

Last edited by 68RR; 09-15-2012, 08:30 PM. Reason: add photos
                              Natural law. Sons are put on this earth to trouble their fathers.

Comment

Working...
                              X