ICBM awesomeness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICBM awesomeness

This is on the top of the list of shit that fascinates the hell out of me but I never ever ever ever want to actually see

Minuteman III from launch through detonation with every step in between

Peacekeeper ICBM MIRVs coming back to Earth

USS Alabama launching a Trident

Crazy Ruskies launching form trains, trucks, etc

And the scariest part is that other countries have them but have never had the chance to really play with them. Think they have itchy trigger fingers? This Indian news broadcast reveals their new ICBM and they openly and repeatedly refer to it as their "China Killer"

That had to have been intense for the Russians. Watching that missile get lobbed out and suspend there for a split second before the boosters kicked in.

I thought for sure it was going to be another blooper reel.

Comment

I'm also fascinated by all that shit, especially the size/yield of the weapons that we have now compared to what was used for example on Japan way back in 1945. The first thermonuclear weapons were the size of a large house. Now they can fit into a file cabinet. I assume you've seen Trinity and Beyond? I've owned it on DVD for years now. That second picture was probably taken right in our backyard at Pantex.

Comment

Thanks for posting. That brought back a lot of memories... I was stationed at FE Warren AFB back in the day. I used to maintain those ICBM's.
        ./ ____ _ _\.
        (]]]_ o _[[[)
        \o_FORD_o/
        |__|.....|__|

God closes doors no man can open, God opens doors no man can close. Revelations 3:7-8

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
          I'm also fascinated by all that shit, especially the size/yield of the weapons that we have now compared to what was used for example on Japan way back in 1945. The first thermonuclear weapons were the size of a large house. Now they can fit into a file cabinet. I assume you've seen Trinity and Beyond? I've owned it on DVD for years now. That second picture was probably taken right in our backyard at Pantex.

I've been to Pantex a couple times... the security there is no fucking joke

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post

Great film.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
              This is on the top of the list of shit that fascinates the hell out of me but I never ever ever ever want to actually see

Minuteman III from launch through detonation with every step in between

Peacekeeper ICBM MIRVs coming back to Earth

USS Alabama launching a Trident

Crazy Ruskies launching form trains, trucks, etc

And the scariest part is that other countries have them but have never had the chance to really play with them. Think they have itchy trigger fingers? This Indian news broadcast reveals their new ICBM and they openly and repeatedly refer to it as their "China Killer"

I'm sure their China Killer is a toy in comparison to some the shit that this country has on tap. Or Russia, for that matter. By the way, what are the beams of light? Nukes produce mushroom clouds, not laser beams.
              How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Originally posted by Geor! View Post
                I'm sure their China Killer is a toy in comparison to some the shit that this country has on tap. Or Russia, for that matter. By the way, what are the beams of light? Nukes produce mushroom clouds, not laser beams.
                Slow shutter reentry
                Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

MIRV = Multiple Independently-targetable Reentry Vehicles

Each beam of light is a separate warhead reentering the atmosphere and going to target.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                    MIRV = Multiple Independently-targetable Reentry Vehicles

Each beam of light is a separate warhead reentering the atmosphere and going to target.
                    To the surface? I thought all nukes where air-blast weapons? Either way, this stuff fascinates me as well.
                    How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

To the surface? I thought all nukes where air-blast weapons? Either way, this stuff fascinates me as well.

Here's the caption for that pic:

Testing of the Peacekeeper re-entry vehicles, all eight (ten capable) fired from only one missile. Each line represents the path of a warhead which, if it were live, would detonate with the explosive power of twenty-five Hiroshima-style weapons

But yeah, I'm sure the difference is just that in a real war the line would turn into a miniature Sun before touching the ground.

Comment

One of the coolest launches i ever saw was that of a peacekeeper at Vandenburg AFB in Ca. Those are actually "ejected" from the silo via a burst of gas, then while in mid air it actually then ignites and launches off. That had to be the most awesome thing i have ever witnessed. You hear a short echo at first, while its actually ejected, then a massive ignition! And away she goes!!!!! The delay in actually seeing it launch and hearing/feeling the shockwave was pretty damn cool. Then you waited for a few minutes and you could hear the pk breaking the sound barrier. Very cool indeed!!!
                        Last edited by 4.6coupe; 09-25-2012, 04:22 PM.
                        ./ ____ _ _\.
                        (]]]_ o _[[[)
                        \o_FORD_o/
                        |__|.....|__|

God closes doors no man can open, God opens doors no man can close. Revelations 3:7-8

Comment

Originally posted by 4.6coupe View Post
                          Thanks for posting. That brought back a lot of memories... I was stationed at FE Warren AFB back in the day. I used to maintain those ICBM's.
                          411x0c? I was a 411x0b SRAM/ALCM at KI Sawyer AFB back in the day, back in Reagan's Air Force.

Nuke 'em till they glow!!!!
                          Last edited by Leah; Yesterday at 10:18 PM.

Comment

Call it morbid curiosity, but I think we all have a sick sense of wanting to see them. Firepower is amazing and what we can do with certain elements that are so small, but so powerful.

Comment

852 Munns Buechel ABS, Buechel Germany here.

Props to the nuke troops.

Comment

Working...
                              X