• Show
Clear All

• Cord Pre-Selector Transmission

For your daily dose of car geekdom:

That is too cool!

Comment

Thats cool as shit! All that in '36.

Comment

That is fucking weird as shit. Would take me a month to get used to that, then probably another month going back to a standard 5/6 speed.
        How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

More about that specific type of transmission. I have never heard of that before. Pretty freakin' awesome.

How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Originally posted by Pooter View Post
            Cord is a pretty classic example of being ahead of your time. Flip up headlamps, crazy transmissions, FWD...they were 30 years early, as least. Beautiful cars, too.

Comment

Wow, I can't believe that was OE. Crazy. I could get used to the upshifting, but quick downshifting would fuck me up for a while I think. Pretty neat though.
              04 2.6 KB'd Cobra!

Originally posted by Sean88gt
              There is something about her that just makes my dick completely take over any thought process. If Russell Brand were on top of her, I'd fuck him just to say I pushed a dick inside of her.

Comment

Takes the fun outta bangin gears tho

Comment

Originally posted by Pooter View Post
                  Duesenberg had absolutely zero fuck around in their game.
                  ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

mind blown.
                    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I'm guessing its a non-synchro trans from the sound of it.

Comment

pretty wicked , that car would be a drunk fucking nightmare though!

Comment

That's pretty neat, but seems unnecessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                            That's pretty neat, but seems unnecessary.
                            ...and requires constant adjustment. There are cables in the pre-shifter that stretch, hang, or break. They're a bitch to deal with. But that's part of the fun of dealing with car that in most ways is 50 years ahead of its time.

I love this kind of stuff!! There has been a lot of cool technology that came and went with cars.

Cadillac, Olds, and Buick used hydraulic power windows. They were fast, silent, and powerful when they worked... but made a helluva mess when they didn't. So did the seat heating system they used that routed heater hoses into the passenger compartment and through the seat frame.

Before automatics used a torque converter, Mopar had a self-shifting transmission that used a clutch for engagement. You had to put it into first gear, let out the clutch, and then it would shift itself to second and third. Then when you came to a stop you'd have to put it in neutral or ride the clutch like a stick.

Packard used a complicated system of electric motors in tandem with four-wheel torsion bars to create a suspension that automatically levelled itself, both in turns, and with a heavy load in the trunk. It worked amazingly well, and nearly saved the company.

And some stuff sucked. Mopar had a "Southwind" heater system that burned gasoline for quicker and hotter heat. It would also burn your car to the ground if the hoses had cracks or leaks. What could go wrong??

When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                              ...and requires constant adjustment. There are cables in the pre-shifter that stretch, hang, or break. They're a bitch to deal with. But that's part of the fun of dealing with car that in most ways is 50 years ahead of its time.

I love this kind of stuff!! There has been a lot of cool technology that came and went with cars.

Cadillac, Olds, and Buick used hydraulic power windows. They were fast, silent, and powerful when they worked... but made a helluva mess when they didn't. So did the seat heating system they used that routed heater hoses into the passenger compartment and through the seat frame.

Before automatics used a torque converter, Mopar had a self-shifting transmission that used a clutch for engagement. You had to put it into first gear, let out the clutch, and then it would shift itself to second and third. Then when you came to a stop you'd have to put it in neutral or ride the clutch like a stick.

Packard used a complicated system of electric motors in tandem with four-wheel torsion bars to create a suspension that automatically levelled itself, both in turns, and with a heavy load in the trunk. It worked amazingly well, and nearly saved the company.

And some stuff sucked. Mopar had a "Southwind" heater system that burned gasoline for quicker and hotter heat. It would also burn your car to the ground if the hoses had cracks or leaks. What could go wrong??

I agree, the way I look at it, "I don't give a shit, make it work." I would pay the bills and put the time in to keep it running the way it was intended. I thoroughly enjoy reading and researching early attempts at commonly accepted designs. Usually you find the most interesting and genius designs before a general standard was adopted. In early automobiles you had tillers, timing adjustment handles, push button gear changes, all these kinds of unique solutions to a problem.
                              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Working...
                              X