Bagram Airfield Crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danny46 View Post
    Interesting. I wonder if the vehicles were palletized or just rolled on, and while they may have been close to Center of Gravity limitations I wonder if it was just one vehicle or if maybe one broke free, slamming into the others causing a chain reaction.
    Given the massive payload of a 747 and it had 5 vehicles as it's cargo, they were probably extremely heavy vehicles, just one is all it would take, I'm sure likeitfast can comment on that in better detail though.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Similar situation

C-2 Greyhound w/ a loadshift upon catapult launch...

Comment

Fuck... RIP to the crew.

Comment

That is honestly my worst fear realized when it comes to airplanes! Every time I have to fly that same thing plays out in my head over and over. Now that I've actually seen it, fuck if I may never get on a plane again!
          RIP to the crew, that’s heart braking!

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
            Similar situation

How old is that?
            Los Angeles Rams 11-5
            Last Game - Loss vs. San Fransisco
            Up Next - vs. Atlanta

2017 NFC West Division Champions

Comment

Originally posted by philsanity07 View Post
              how old is that?
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Damn, have we not progressed far enough to make it where it doesn't end up as a fireball upon crashing?

Were they dumping fuel, or at least trying to?????

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                  Damn, have we not progressed far enough to make it where it doesn't end up as a fireball upon crashing?

I'm sure that is exactly what the pilot was thinking...

Comment

I hate taking off from that airfield, the runway is at 5000' elevation to begin with and the mountain tops surrounding it are 16-17,000' so you have to climb very steeply to even make it out. I have seen fully loaded C-17's have to make turns around in the bowl till they can get enough airspeed and altitude to make it out. RIP to the crew and I would not want to be the ones who loaded that plane.

Comment

Rip
                      sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
                      🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

No. Notice the gears are still down. They probably went into instantfuckup mode as soon as they rotated and never had a chance to think about anything but getting the nose down... which never happened.

They tried. Remember this famous video (below)? This was actually a test of a new "anti-misting" fuel. The crash was designed to sever the wing through the tank and they were hoping this new formulation would atomize less, thereby reducing the fireball and allowing more passengers to live.

The fuel was called AMK (Anti Misting Kerosene)

The actual impact demonstrated that the antimisting additive tested was not sufficient to prevent a post-crash fire in all circumstances, though the reduced intensity of the initial fire was attributed to the effect of AMK
                        Well.... well, it wasn't a total failure, but we've all seen the video and how well that worked out. Afterall it's still tens of thousands of pounds of fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by 4king View Post
                          Wow. That truck driver has ice in his veins, no verbal reaction what so ever. Did he hit a dog on the way to the crash site?
                          I'm betting it's a K9 unit MP.

Comment

Originally posted by likeitfast55 View Post
                            Either elevator runaway, or cg(cargo) shift causing full nose up, stall,right wing loss of lift,nose drop, full aileron deflection,roll recovery too close to ground to recover from loss of altitude. Pancake crash.

Just my early guess. As a pilot with over 20k+ hours in transport category aircraft, to watch this makes me sick to my stomach. RIP
                            Agree completely with all of that. I'm not a pilot, but it still makes me sick to see that. Poor guys never had a chance.
                            "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                              Similar situation

Exactly why EVERYmuthafuckinTIME I catted off in one, I took a good look at all of the cargo. The COD (Carrier Onboard Delivery) has a bit of a reputation. It's also said that COD stands for Coffin Off the Deck).

Also, has anybody heard from Keith (kbscobravert) today?
                              "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

K multiple reply without quoting sue me..

Super heavy jet plus high altitude take offs is suck.

Even if they had time to dump fuel lots of planes HAVE to fly around for hours to reach a "Safe" landing weight trying to land in an emergency. The pumps are not that fast. This case whatever happened real quick and in a hurry.

Anyone can look at the video and see it stalled way nose up due to some factor.
                                Now the question will be is it cargo shift, or something else like a wind change.

My guess looking at it would be loss of power of some sort or a flight control failure.

Regardless RIP to the aircrew I can't imagine their horror in those last few seconds.

What is even worse their families having the ability to see it the day after on the web. Sometimes the interweb sucks.
                                Last edited by Couver; 04-30-2013, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X