69 years ago today...D-Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 69 years ago today...D-Day

June 6, 1944, 160,000 Allied troops landed along a 50-mile stretch of heavily-fortified French coastline to fight Nazi Germany on the beaches of Normandy, France. General Dwight D. Eisenhower called the operation a crusade in which “we will accept nothing less than full victory.” More than 5,000 Ships and 13,000 aircraft supported the D-Day invasion, and by day’s end on June 6, the Allies gained a foot- hold in Normandy. The D-Day cost was high -more than 9,000 Allied Soldiers were killed or wounded -- but more than 100,000 Soldiers began the march across Europe to defeat Hitler.

I had the pleasure of visiting the beach last year and it was the most memorable pilgrimage I've ever had.

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Makes me want to go watch Saving Private Ryan.

A big thanks to all who have served.
    sigpic

Comment

that last pic gave me chicken skin.

god bless.
      It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

I have a feeling that once France is a muslim nation, that place will be desecrated and the remains thrown to the sea like they did in Libya to the fallen dead there.

Regardless thanks to these heroic men, those arabz were saved from what would have been exterminated by hitler.
        First hand witness at the failure of public healthcare.

Comment

Nice photos thanks for sharing them.
          "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

If that happens, then France would be a good place to try out all our new weapons. Then when totally clean, use it as a world land fill fox toxic waste. Also, Bagdad, Teheran, Mecca, and any other Mosque should be leveled at the same time. That would give CSNBC something to talk about.

Comment

Lets focus on the service and sacrifices of those men and women who literally saved the world.

When you see a WWII vet, thank them. Best to do this while you still can; their numbers grow smaller every day. The day is soon coming when every last one of them will be gone.

Comment

A Day to remember.

A day to work a little harder to show your worth and respect to those whom have sacrificed for you. I couldnt fathom what was in the minds of those soldiers.

Comment

Nice CJ.

Definitely a bucket list item.
                  "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Pics from my trip :

The roof of this bunker caved in due to sabator work on the concrete by jewish/french slave labor.

The beaches of normandy, taken in late june.

Inside one of the impact craters at Point Du Hoc

Comment

D-Day,Any time I hear or see something about it my very first thought is about my grand father who raised me and i idealize . He hit the beach that day and he only talked about it once and only said one thing. He said on that day he led a whole platoon up to that beach and with in minutes he was running over the bodies of his men and he and one other guy were the only ones that made it though.Thats all he ever said about it and I was the person he told it to. I was only 10 or 11 when he told me that but i can remember it better than i can remember things I did yesterday. I can't even start to imagine what those men went though that day but I thank god they had the heart and bravery to do it !!
                      Ace Duce

I can't play in the deep end of the sandbox, that's where the leprechaun is and he tells me to burn things!
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X