Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shelby Liquidation Sale

Prices are negotiable.

When the government pays, the government controls.

good god.......

Comment

The "427 Modified Special"

This is the car that led to the development of the production 427 Cobra. The car was built by Ken Miles and Ted Sutton as an experiment in response to heated competition. The proposed project: to stuff a huge 427 NASCAR engine into an existing Cobra; and then test it to find out whether the combination could work or not. After the engine swap was completed, Carroll Shelby, “the boss” as he was known, took it for a test drive. The handling was a mess, but his decision was to give the go-ahead to “Make it a race car”! The guys in the shop had a nickname for the prototype. They called it “the turd”. After some testing development at Riverside, the car’s first public appearance was at Sebring in 1964. During practice, it got away from Ken Miles and crashed into a tree. The crew was able to get the car repaired and took the green flag. Ken struggled through the first 2 hours nursing the secret that he was in pain from cracked ribs. He handed off to John Morton who soldiered on through a series of stops for teething problems and eventually blew the engine, but not before demonstrating the cars potential. CSX 2196 was returned to Venice, CA where a comprehensive rebuild was done. The chassis was strengthened even further, and the body was replaced with an imaginative aluminum structure in three pieces. The nose and the tail were hinged at their extremities, flipping up and away from the center for instant access to the components. The doors were simple panels hinged at the bottom to swing out and down. The hood and tail were lowered as much as possible to reduce drag. The unusual body configuration earned it the nickname “Flip-Top”. Several engines were tested including an all alloy 390. The car was sent to Nassau in November of 1964 where the car was accepted into the GT class alongside Ferrari 250 LMs and Rodger Penske’s Grand Sport Corvettes. In the feature GT race Ken Miles drove off into an 8 second lead smoking all competition until problems with the differential slowed the Flip-Top and allowed the Corvette to catch up. After a series of lead changes, the 427 expired. Later on the Flip-Top was relegated to the modified class and Shelby American began working on developing the production 427 Cobra. The Flip-Top languished and was eventually sold. CSX 2196 has been through a succession of private owners since, now owned by Chuck Ungurean of Columbus, OH.

Comment

didnt notice the date until I was already drooling
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by MattB View Post
          That is one badass car. Note it still has 289 FIA rear fenders. Bid up to 1.45mil in 2010, probably more now.

Some more story: http://www.rmauctions.com/lots/lot.cfm?lot_id=416883

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
            That is one badass car. Note it still has 289 FIA rear fenders. Bid up to 1.45mil in 2010, probably more now.

Some more story: http://www.rmauctions.com/lots/lot.cfm?lot_id=416883
            I looked a few years back but didn't see anything, does anyone make a reasonably-priced 289 replica? The flared-fenders kill it for me. I prefer the small tire flat side/"slab" side Cobras. Especially if I was just going to put a small block in it anyway. First world problems I guess!

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
              didnt notice the date until I was already drooling

lol, come on. A timestamp was the first thing I was looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                lol, come on. A timestamp was the first thing I was looking for.
                You got me.
                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

does anyone make a reasonably-priced 289 replica? The flared-fenders kill it for me. I prefer the small tire flat side/"slab" side Cobras. Especially if I was just going to put a small block in it anyway.
                  Reasonably priced? No.

Google 'shelby 8000 series' and you'll see about the closest you can find. I have always preferred the narrow, skinny tired, wire wheeled 289 street cars to the later 427s.

The Shelby 4000 series are continuation 427 S/Cs, the 7000 series are FIA 289 cars, the 8000s are 289 street Cobras, and the 9000s are Daytona coupes. They're all available in aluminum or fiberglass but are really close to the originals.

I've always been a little leary of the 'continuation' cars because there's just something fishy about them and I can't help but think they will eventually be found illegal due to VINs, like the Unique Performance cars.

Comment

Yeah I know about those, that's why I said reasonably priced! I wish Factory Five had other options. I don't need/want any sort of Shelby Continuation bullshit!

Comment

Yeah I know about those, that's why I said reasonably priced! I wish Factory Five had other options. I don't need/want any sort of Shelby Continuation bullshit!
                      I got you covered. There are options out there for a slabside replica/factory five. Here is a link to a guy on ffcars that did one, several more are in the works on the sight too. It has been rumored that factory five is going to produce a 289 slabside kit, but we'll see.

"You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
                      http://firstresponsefirearms.com/
                      Factory Five MK4 Cobra
                      Build thread-http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17889
                      http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
                      www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
                      sigpic

Comment

3 Daytona coupes for about $26k? Damn!

That notation for CSX2196 is the "clam-shell" prototype car. I'm sure it would bring millions now.

Comment

Originally posted by 01yz2nv View Post
                          I got you covered. There are options out there for a slabside replica/factory five. Here is a link to a guy on ffcars that did one, several more are in the works on the sight too. It has been rumored that factory five is going to produce a 289 slabside kit, but we'll see.

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...-slabside.html
                          That looks so much more delicious than a 427 IMO

Comment

Working...
                          X