Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Saturn V Rocket

If you have 45 min to kill here's the story of the Saturn V

My great uncle was heavily involved with the Apollo missions. I remember back in 95, I did a school project on the space missions and Victor gave me a books worth of figures and mathematical equations that he had developed to get the lunar module into orbit around the moon. It was waaay over our heads (in 6th grade) but it was very cool nevertheless. I still have all of that stuff tucked away.
    http://www.amazon.com/Viralution-Don...don+kehlenbeck

www.facebook.com/TheViralution

Comment

15 tons per second of fuel. Holy shit.

My grandfather designed the #1 booster on the Saturn V. He has some very interesting space race insider information. Some of it is typed of, so I'll have to post it up some time.
      Originally posted by Buzzo
      Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

I really need to stop opening your threads, it almost always means I'll be spending the next hour reading or watching something interesting when I should be doing something else.

Stevo
        Originally posted by SSMAN
        ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

That was fully worth 44 minutes and 24 seconds of my time.. Thanks.

Comment

Definitely. Keep this stuff coming!
            Originally posted by Buzzo
            Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

I got to see one of the the Saturn V motors up close in the Air and Space museum. Fucking impressive to say the least. You could build a studio apartment in one of those bastards.

2004 Suzuki DL650
              1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

Originally posted by stevo View Post
                I really need to stop opening your threads, it almost always means I'll be spending the next hour reading or watching something interesting when I should be doing something else.

Stevo
                That's no shit.

I learned a long time ago to quickly skim his threads and bookmark 'em for after I got my work done. Once I started down one of his "rabbit holes", I would be all over the internetz to learn more shit that I'll probably never utilize.

Comment

Schweet! Ill check it out tonight.

Comment

I saved this to listen to on my commute, great video, I like the comment of the ladies enjoying the vibrations from launch
                    Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Took two cups of coffee to look at. Very nice video! Thanks!

Still amazes me that much of mass lifted off time and again! Once you stand next to it, it is even more amazing.

Had to get out my K&E Log-Log Duplex Decitrig to celebrate the good old days before the digital computer!

Mustangs previously owned:
                      1967 Coupe V8 (My first car)
                      1992 LX AOD
                      1993 LX Drag Car
                      1995 GTS
                      1997 Cobra
                      2000 Cobra R

2002 Corvette C5 A4 10.64@ 127.1
                      Undercover SC Dragster 8.10's

In the garage now....
                      2016 Honda Accord Touring
                      2015 F-150 Silver 5.0 XLT SuperCrew, like new condition

Retired 2008 after 41 years as an EE at LTV (Garland)/TI/Raytheon. Enjoying ham radio now.

Comment

Rockeydyne built the five F1 engines used in the first stage.
                        "The power output of the Saturn first stage was 60 gigawatts. This happens to be very similar to the peak electricity demand of the United Kingdom."
                        - David Woods, How Apollo Flew to the Moon

There's talk of bringing back the F1 (as the F1-B)

In early January, almost forty years since the last F-1 rumbled, the woods surrounding NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center were shaken by a thunderous roar. NASA engineers were not testing a rocket engine but only a part of one, something called a gas generator, which is a device that burns propellant to produce hot exhaust gases to spin a turbine that then spins a pump that pumps fuel and oxidizer into a thrust chamber where it ignites to produce the exhaust that powers a rocket. The gas generator is in many ways similar to a rocket engine, and it has to be fired on a rocket test stand. This gas generator was from a Saturn F-1 engine, the first time one had been fired in over three and a half decades. The gas generator alone was almost a third of the thrust of a Merlin 1C rocket engine for the Falcon 9 launch vehicle. That confirms what many in the rocket engine field have known for a long time: the F-1 was a monster.

And now some people are hoping for the F-1 to make a comeback.
                        The new F1-B would make 1,800,000 lbf of thrust - compared to the 1,550,000 lbf of the F1s used in the Apollo program.

And thanks to modern production techniques it could be simpler to build now also:

The original F-1 engines were essentially hand-crafted, with many parts being welded together by a skilled welder. Although computer-controlled machines are now capable of taking over many welding jobs, engineers prefer to avoid welding whenever possible, casting a few large parts rather than welding together many smaller ones. As a result, they have reduced the parts count on one major section of the engine from 5,600 individual parts to only 40

Awesome reads:

And since I derailed this a bit, you guys know that the founder of Amazon paid for a quite large search effort recently and found one of the F1 engines from the Apollo program on the bottom of the Atlantic, right? Pretty sure it was from Apollo 11... I'll dig up the story and be back in a bit.
                        Last edited by Strychnine; 12-11-2013, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Jeff Bezos' Salvaged Apollo Rocket Engines Reach Shore After Ocean Recovery

Returning to Cape Canaveral for the first time since they were used to launch a giant Saturn V moon rocket, the recovered parts from two colossal F-1 engines arrived on shore Thursday (March 21) after more than 40 years spent lost at sea.

Amazon.com founder Jeff Bezos led the private expeditionthat recovered the F-1 engine components, which arrived at the Florida port aboard the multi-purpose vessel Seabed Worker. During their three weeks at sea, the ship's crew worked with remotely operated submersibles to lift the historic space artifacts off the ocean floor from a depth of more than 14,000 feet (4,270 meters) below the surface.

Five F-1 engines were used to power the Saturn V rocket's first stage, which lifted the mighty booster off the launch pad. After firing for nearly three minutes, the F-1 engines were jettisoned and together with the spent first stage fell from a height of about 40 miles (64 kilometers) into the ocean. The force of impacting the water tore the engines apart before the twisted parts sank to the seafloor.

Bezos revealed that his expedition had successfully raised enough parts for two engines in an update posted Wednesday (March 20) to the project's website.

Photos released by Bezos show the engines' thrust chambers, turbines, nozzles and even part of the Saturn V's first stage as they were found on the ocean floor and then aboard the Seabed Worker after being recovered.

On July 19, 2013, Bezos revealed that the serial number of the recovered engine is Rocketdyne serial number 2044 (equating to NASA number 6044), the #5 (center) engine that helped Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins to reach the Moon with the Apollo 11 mission.

The F-1 engine parts, which Bezos' team pulled off the seafloor, returned to Cape Canaveral on Thursday.

Long thought to be lost on the ocean floor, the massive F-1 engines that launched U.S. astronauts to the moon more than 40 years ago have been raised off the sea floor by a private expedition led by Amazon.com CEO Jeff Bezos.

Bezos Expeditions team members inspect an F-1 engine thrust chamber after recovering the Apollo Saturn V artifact off the ocean floor.

An F-1 engine's gas generator and manifold as recovered from 14,000 feet below the ocean's surface by Bezos Expeditions.

A Bezos Expeditions team member sprays clean water on a recovered Apollo F-1 engine's injector and liquid oxygen (LOX) dome.

The heat exchanger from an F-1 engine raised in March 2013 after more than 40 years sitting on the Atlantic Ocean's floor.

The thrust chamber from an F-1 engine is seen on the ocean floor, where it sat for more than 40 years until being recovered in 2013.

The nozzle from an Apollo Saturn V rocket's F-1 engine is seen crumpled and twisted lying on the floor of the Atlantic Ocean.

In addition to recovering the parts for two F-1 engines, Bezos Expeditions found segments of the Apollo Saturn V booster's S-IC first stage.

Comment

All engineered with slides rules. No computers, no calculators

Comment

This was a great series of shows. I watch them every time I see them on. Not sure of the exact number of them, Saturn V, Lunar Rover, the Suit, Navigation computer, Command module. Keep eye out on Sundays, mini marathons on to set DVR's for. Look around the Discovery channel networks.
                              Last edited by SC457A; 12-11-2013, 11:04 PM. Reason: forgot something
                              Some cars and a bike...

Some say... they have been raced, some a lot

Comment

Working...
                              X