X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Walter D. Ehlers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_D._Ehlers

Originally posted by MR EDD
    i know i am are a fucking idiot.i know i should have pulled out of my mommas ass to make a shit fuck like me.bitch
    Originally Posted By: Polska
    I don't believe in shotting any animal past 150 or 200 yards, until their is better technology in 10 or 20 years and we have laser like the predators.

So many stories of extremely good work by military personnel that we'll never hear about.
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

God speed to another lost of the Greatest Generation, I so wish I could have heard both my Grandfathers stories. I am scared shitless of a world that has none of that Generation left.

Comment

Wow. Thats a mans man. True role model in my eyes.

Comment

Several years ago I read every medal of honor citation. It's always a shame to remember the story, and realize the man has passed.

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty on 9–10 June 1944, near Goville, France. S/Sgt. Ehlers, always acting as the spearhead of the attack, repeatedly led his men against heavily defended enemy strong points exposing himself to deadly hostile fire whenever the situation required heroic and courageous leadership. Without waiting for an order, S/Sgt. Ehlers, far ahead of his men, led his squad against a strongly defended enemy strong point, personally killing 4 of an enemy patrol who attacked him en route. Then crawling forward under withering machinegun fire, he pounced upon the guncrew and put it out of action. Turning his attention to 2 mortars protected by the crossfire of 2 machineguns, S/Sgt. Ehlers led his men through this hail of bullets to kill or put to flight the enemy of the mortar section, killing 3 men himself. After mopping up the mortar positions, he again advanced on a machinegun, his progress effectively covered by his squad. When he was almost on top of the gun he leaped to his feet and, although greatly outnumbered, he knocked out the position single-handed. The next day, having advanced deep into enemy territory, the platoon of which S/Sgt. Ehlers was a member, finding itself in an untenable position as the enemy brought increased mortar, machinegun, and small arms fire to bear on it, was ordered to withdraw. S/Sgt. Ehlers, after his squad had covered the withdrawal of the remainder of the platoon, stood up and by continuous fire at the semicircle of enemy placements, diverted the bulk of the heavy hostile fire on himself, thus permitting the members of his own squad to withdraw. At this point, though wounded himself, he carried his wounded automatic rifleman to safety and then returned fearlessly over the shell-swept field to retrieve the automatic rifle which he was unable to carry previously. After having his wound treated, he refused to be evacuated, and returned to lead his squad. The intrepid leadership, indomitable courage, and fearless aggressiveness displayed by S/Sgt. Ehlers in the face of overwhelming enemy forces serve as an inspiration to others.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

The MedalOfHonorBook youtube host has over 100 video interviews with MOH recipients telling their stories. It's easy to get lost watching those for a few hours.
            i know i am are a fucking idiot.i know i should have pulled out of my mommas ass to make a shit fuck like me.bitch
            Originally Posted By: Polska
            I don't believe in shotting any animal past 150 or 200 yards, until their is better technology in 10 or 20 years and we have laser like the predators.

Comment

His Saving Private Ryan reference reminded me of seeing that movie in the theater and wanting the D-Day scene to be over with. But being there in person, I could not even come close to imagining the horror.

Comment

The Medal of Honor parade in Gainesville is on April 12th. There will be about 25 MOA recipients there if anyone would like to meet this men in person. I go just about every year, it's a great experience. Mr Ehlers was the last Medal of Honor survivor of D-Day, not many WW2 men left.
                You remember the stories John use to tell us about the the three chinamen playing Fantan? This guy runs up to them and says, "Hey, the world's coming to an end!" and the first one says, "Well, I best go to the mission and pray," and the second one says, "Well, hell, I'm gonna go and buy me a case of Mezcal and six whores," and the third one says "Well, I'm gonna finish the game." I shall finish the game, Doc.

Comment

Working...
                X