Anyone into car audio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone into car audio?

I ask because I never see anyone on here talking about it. I love music and love it loud but not like these all bass systems or the damn ice cream truck speakers mounted outside. I like it to sound as if you are sitting there in the recording room at a studio or like you are front row center at a concert.

So I set out to build a nice stereo for my daily driver. First budget was $350. That was a waste of $350. So I upped it to a grand and have been happy with some minor disappointments here and there.
    I gave up and decided to build my ultimate system and through some patience and frugal shopping I had managed to do it for cheap, like non running 1990 Accord cheap.

I am a basic installer with no real wood or fiberglass skills so I went with an off the shelf sub box.
    I have $1500 total in this system including wires, breakers, sound mat and the new illusions..... well $1700 but the Bostons are already sold for $200 so..... meh.

Install is as follows:
    Pioneer DEH-P8400BH source unit with the USB port in the spare opening where the CD player used to be.
    Front speakers are Illusion Audio Carbon C6
    Subs are Dayton Audio HO 12"
    Sub amp is a JL Audio 500/1
    Main amp is a JL Audio 450/4
    Only signal processor is an Audio Control ESP-2

For wires I am using 4awg M.E.S.A. power throughout and Rockford circuit and distribution as well as Rockford twisted RCA wires and Rockford 12 & 14 awg speaker wires.

This will start with where I am now. Currently I have Boston Acoustic Pro60s in the doors but will be swapped out for the Illusions tomorrow. That is when I will install the sound deadener, MDF rings and the foam surrounds to seal the mids to the door panel. I will be sure to take pictures of that.

So to start with here is the deck. I installed the USB port in a simple and easy to access manner. Fortunately the truck has many blank panels so the JL bass knob went down low and the ESP2 knob right above it. Above the cargo light switch is the mic for my Bluetooth. If wondering why the ESP2 knob did not go next to the JL knob it is because its a PITA to access when the truck is in gear.

The amps were simply mounted to the rear wall. I took great care to make sure power and signal wires never come close to each other with all signal on the passenger side and all power on the driver side. The ESP even has its own dedicated 8 awg wire since it used to power the 450/4 but I just changed that out this morning. Great success as the amp no longer shuts down when being pushed.

And now for the box. Its .80 cubic feet sealed per side and has the 12" Dayton HO series subs in a downfire configuration:

I plan on recovering it with OEM carpet to help it blend but funds are a little tight since those Illusion Components fell in my lap, not often you can get a $1200 speaker for under $500.

Did lose a little leg room but I don't ride back there so not my problem. LOL

I look forward to tomorrows upgrades. As much as I like my Bostons I believe the Illusions will really kick it up a notch.
    Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Looks good. How much space is there between the carpet and woofer? It looks like very little in the pics.

Comment

We talk about it in "The Media Room"..

And Eric w/ Audio Sound in Bedford is the all knowing when it comes to car audio.
      You remember the stories John use to tell us about the the three chinamen playing Fantan? This guy runs up to them and says, "Hey, the world's coming to an end!" and the first one says, "Well, I best go to the mission and pray," and the second one says, "Well, hell, I'm gonna go and buy me a case of Mezcal and six whores," and the third one says "Well, I'm gonna finish the game." I shall finish the game, Doc.

Comment

And looks good btw… My new truck i bought last week has no system and its sucks. I never go crazy but i do like a little bass.
        You remember the stories John use to tell us about the the three chinamen playing Fantan? This guy runs up to them and says, "Hey, the world's coming to an end!" and the first one says, "Well, I best go to the mission and pray," and the second one says, "Well, hell, I'm gonna go and buy me a case of Mezcal and six whores," and the third one says "Well, I'm gonna finish the game." I shall finish the game, Doc.

Comment

Originally posted by line-em-up View Post
          Looks good. How much space is there between the carpet and woofer? It looks like very little in the pics.
          The woofers have a 22mm one way xmax and there is 1.2" between the surround and floor. That's why I have those feet on it and why it sits so far forward. Only way to get a good sub in there and keep the seat.

I was so excited to get home and see boxes on my front porch but it was only the replacement cones for my Klipsch computer speakers. For some reason the Illusions didn't get delivered today.
          Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Where do you buy most of your stuff? Only reason I ask, is that you obviously own your own shop..and have a business license. So, I would hope that you are buying your equipment through an electronics distributor, for pennies on the dollar.
            sigpic

Comment

Eric (EW) and Jared (Jluv) are the two I trust most as to car audio recommendations. Not to say there aren't other people on here that know their stuff, but knowing both of them pushes them over the top.. Just to throw that out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Bringit View Post
                Where do you buy most of your stuff? Only reason I ask, is that you obviously own your own shop..and have a business license. So, I would hope that you are buying your equipment through an electronics distributor, for pennies on the dollar.
                Actually none gets bought through my business. Craigslist and mobile audio forums are are great as is ebay. Scored my deck for $30 on ebay. New and in the box but missing the remote. The amps, that was just strange. Was a craigslist ad in Plano. JL Audio 450/4 $250, JL Audio 500/1 $250. Called the dude and he had them. I only wanted the sub amp even though the prices were spectacular. Dudes in a nice house, nice cars, go into his garage and see Focal and Rainbow and McIntosh etc etc boxes so I know this guy knows his stuff and these were just upgraded with the new series. Dude asks if I want both but I didn't have the cash. he says "Ill make you a special deal. $200 for the pair!" ....... *stares in disbelief*....... okay. Next day I called JL and was able to register them and they have been working excellent.
                The Illusion speakers, well I am not sure how I scored those so cheap...... maybe they will never show.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                  Eric (EW) and Jared (Jluv) are the two I trust most as to car audio recommendations. Not to say there aren't other people on here that know their stuff, but knowing both of them pushes them over the top.. Just to throw that out there.
                  That's great, when you find a knowledgeable stereo guy that has steered you to stuff you like then you should always stick with them. Not saying what I like is something you may like. A lot of the equipment I like most people never heard of. I am just lucky enough to have installed several thousand stereos and have played with everything except the $3500 Rainbow Audio components..... and I really wanna play with those.

Comment

Originally posted by LaserSVT View Post
                    That's great, when you find a knowledgeable stereo guy that has steered you to stuff you like then you should always stick with them. Not saying what I like is something you may like. A lot of the equipment I like most people never heard of. I am just lucky enough to have installed several thousand stereos and have played with everything except the $3500 Rainbow Audio components..... and I really wanna play with those.
                    Just to be clear, wasn't knocking your stuff by any means. As far as I know JL is always going to be decent equipment for the price. In fact, all of the subs I have owned have been JL. I wouldn't mind the amp combo you have but retail they are pricey. You got a smoking deal.

I have also had a couple of Pioneer decks and have been more than happy with them. The last couple I have had are Alpine, but those seem to be on par with Pioneer, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                      Just to be clear, wasn't knocking your stuff by any means. As far as I know JL is always going to be decent equipment for the price. In fact, all of the subs I have owned have been JL. I wouldn't mind the amp combo you have but retail they are pricey. You got a smoking deal.

I have also had a couple of Pioneer decks and have been more than happy with them. The last couple I have had are Alpine, but those seem to be on par with Pioneer, IMO.
                      Didn't think you were knocking anything, I was just agreeing with you as to use who you know...... wait, this is too nice for DFWM.

Wanna bro down bro!? Do you even lift!??

Comment

I have an ok setup in my truck. It doesn't make any ghetto booty jiggle, but I'm ok with it......... for now......

Comment

I always like 8 inch subs, tighter harder hitting bass, instead of booming ghetto bass. But that's just me.
                          Originally posted by soap
                          i can fix anything from a broken tractor to an aching pussy!!!

Comment

I'm not familiar with Illusion Audio, but I used to run an old set of Boston Pro 60s, and they were fantastic. I did finally blow one of the mids.

You scored big on those amps!

It would be nice to see more car audio talk around here, but the hobby itself just isn't that popular anymore. It's still one of my favorite things to mess around with, and I get pumped about loud, clear music. I still jam CDs because compressed music sucks.

I'm hoping it will all come back around one day, where ipods and earbuds become lame, and giant systems are cool again.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                              I'm not familiar with Illusion Audio, but I used to run an old set of Boston Pro 60s, and they were fantastic. I did finally blow one of the mids.

You scored big on those amps!

It would be nice to see more car audio talk around here, but the hobby itself just isn't that popular anymore. It's still one of my favorite things to mess around with, and I get pumped about loud, clear music. I still jam CDs because compressed music sucks.

I'm hoping it will all come back around one day, where ipods and earbuds become lame, and giant systems are cool again.
                              I really don't think it will happen.... The majority of those that want "giant systems" that can afford them (and sound good) would need a separate vehicle to support them, as kids and families take precedence over room for large boxes and killer subs...

I've reached about the limit of what I can do to my vehicle and still maintain usage in the manner I need it without getting rid of seats or eliminating usable space.... and I cringe at what I've spent thus far, as well as what I need to spend to get better mids/highs...

Comment

Working...
                              X