No announcement yet.

Jay Leno's 1925 Doble E-20 Steam Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The boilerless design really is fascinating. The coils only hold a small bit of water at a time so that you generate steam faster than you can use it. It seems like the biggest disadvantages are start time, necessary to add water, and the complexity of the system which could lead to catastrophic failure if you omit a step.
    Originally posted by lincolnboy
    After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
      The boilerless design really is fascinating. The coils only hold a small bit of water at a time so that you generate steam faster than you can use it. It seems like the biggest disadvantages are start time, necessary to add water, and the complexity of the system which could lead to catastrophic failure if you omit a step.
      Yup.

It would keep a lot of shops in business.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
        Steam has always been one of the most efficient sources of energy available. I don't know why everyone shifted away from it.
        Thermal efficiency of a small steam engine is slightly below what an modern ICE has while being more complex. In some places in the country steam is still piped in over short distances to heat buildings. Every now and then you hear about a steam explosion in NYC that will remind you how old that city is. Almost all electricity is generated by steam.
        Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 07-10-2014, 09:08 PM.
        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

great video

Comment

Working...
          X