Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner

Boeing's expert crew rehearses the flight program for the 2014 Farnborough Airshow. Watch the show! Learn more at https://www.boeing.com/commercial/787/ Wha...

Cgi?

Comment

You know what is crazy? The 747 was designed 40+ years ago by dudes with protractors and slide rules and is going strong, while the Dreamliner has been plagued with problem after problem even though modern engineers have incredibly sophisticated technology and manufacturing techniques.
      Originally posted by lincolnboy
      After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

I machine the major composite components of the rear vertical fin of the 787-8 and 787-9. Composites are very un-forgiving when it comes to mistakes. One skin panel is about $100,000 dollars when I am done with it. Our tolerances are about +/- .005 on the holes that we drill. Most of the problems that the 787 has had have come from the outsourcing of parts. We ship parts to the Salt Lake City plant and they need to be defect free because there is less “tribal knowledge” there when it comes to assembly.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
          You know what is crazy? The 747 was designed 40+ years ago by dudes with protractors and slide rules and is going strong, while the Dreamliner has been plagued with problem after problem even though modern engineers have incredibly sophisticated technology and manufacturing techniques.
          Most new airplanes have issues. I would love to fly on a new 787. Instead I fly on mostly on the tired MD80s out of Tucson to Dallas.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
            Most every new concept aircraft had major problems. The 747 is no exception. It has been so long ago that we forget.

Early service woes
            TARNISHED IMAGE
            The knock-on effect of the engine problems on the 747's reliability tarnished its image in the early days. This magazine did not hold back in its criticism. In our "747 Consumer Report" published six months into its operational life, we wrote: "From the advertisements you might think that the 747 is a new dimension in travel: it is, but judging by the criticisms which have been made of the first few months of operation much needs to be done before the entire extent of the 'new dimension' is exploited fully."

Comment

I understand the physics in all that, but still...

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Comment

Working...
                X