No announcement yet.

B17 in Culpeper, VA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

couple video clips of Aluminum Overcast arriving at Tulsa a few years back..

Natural law. Sons are put on this earth to trouble their fathers.

Comment

You'd be screwed if you had to get outta' that tail gunner's position in a hurry.

mardyn

Comment

Originally posted by 68RR View Post
        couple video clips of Aluminum Overcast arriving at Tulsa a few years back..

Was the overcast not a b17? And did it retire? This thread made me think of my trip on the overcast about 6 years ago with my dad. Is she no longer flying?

Comment

I flew on Nine-O-Nine a few years ago

Comment

Originally posted by Tannerm View Post
            Was the overcast not a b17? And did it retire? This thread made me think of my trip on the overcast about 6 years ago with my dad. Is she no longer flying?
            Still flying as far as I know...

Comment

One of the single more coolest times in my life. It was fanfuckingtastic.

Comment

Yesterday I saw this B17 fly out of Roanoke air port.

Comment

This the plane I am planning to fly in. Dad flew 58 missions as a gunner on A-20's and B-25's. First time I saw this video it gave me goosebumps and finally a rough idea of what dad saw felt and heard back then.

B25 "Miss Mitchell" (Commemorative Air Force MN wing) in flight to the 2010 Doolittle Reunion. VIdeo shows the electrically powered Bendix Model A upper turr...

and some of the missions he flew on:

This action packed film covers a key battle of the oft overlooked 1943 New Guinea campaign in the South Pacific. General Douglas MacArthur and his staff put ...
                  Last edited by 68RR; 09-03-2014, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                    There are 13 B-17s still flying in the US, one in England, and one in France.
                    The one in France is grounded permantly because of France (Airbus) making the insurance un-affordable to purchase. There is a rumor going around that Jerry Yagen (Military Aviation Mueseum) is trying to buy it, and bring it State Side.

There are a few other B-17s around the US that could fly if insurance was purchased (about 75K a year), and if they had a FAA inspection program.

They also burn about 200 gallons of gas a hour - so that $430/$800 ride is pretty much a good price since 100-LL goes from $5-$7 gallon depending on location.

And lastly - quite a few restorations going on around the country to flying status -

Lacey Lady the B-17 that has spent 68 years in Portland Oregan atop a gas station has come down for her 5 year restoration to flight (this will be the lowest airtime B-17 flying

Two B-17s in Georgia - one of them being Liberty Belle - these are pretty much being rebuilt from the ground up - it will be 5-10 years before these are close to flying.

B-17 at Chino at the Planes of Fame Muesuem - is the last B-17 retired from service - it was a drone control aircraft.

B-17 at Urbana in Ill.

B-17E - Desert Rat - will be the only B-17E flying - not many E models left.

Comment

and the B-17 in OP's post - starred in a DMWT commerical which makes me tingly everytime I watch it.

I have a link of the making of the commerical which is better than the above, but I don't have the link on this computer.

Comment

How it was done .....

Look like the original video is not available.
                        Mustangs previously owned:
                        1967 Coupe V8 (My first car)
                        1992 LX AOD
                        1993 LX Drag Car
                        1995 GTS
                        1997 Cobra
                        2000 Cobra R

2002 Corvette C5 A4 10.64@ 127.1
                        Undercover SC Dragster 8.10's

In the garage now....
                        2016 Honda Accord Touring
                        2015 F-150 Silver 5.0 XLT SuperCrew, like new condition

Retired 2008 after 41 years as an EE at LTV (Garland)/TI/Raytheon. Enjoying ham radio now.

Comment

Working...
                        X