Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• x-wind to and land

This is a good one. No stupid music.

Some landing and take-off highlights in awkward wind conditions at BHX this winter (a record winter for stormy conditions in the UK). Note the frequent flexi...

Lol wow, when did they come out with STOVL commercial jets , awesome video
    Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

That's wild. Is it pretty hair raising for yall taking off in those conditions and at what point does the airport ground flights?

Also, at what speed do commercial airliners touch down?

Comment

1) Most larger transport jets have a limitation of 30 to 35 knots direct x-wind. The gust factor is added in different on each aircraft as proven in certification. The 80' is 30 knots.

2) speed on touchdown--- hard to answer, each aircraft has different speeds proportional to weight. The lighter the load -- the slower the speed at touchdown, heavier - faster. This is driven by stall speed. Most jets have an ref-touchdown speed that is 1.23Vso. That is 1.23 times faster than the stall speed with flaps-gear out.(we call it a dirty configuration)

I touchdown in the 80' max landing weight around 130 to 140 knots.

1 knot is 1.15 faster than a MPH, or 15% faster.

Most operators suspend all operation at 50knots.

Comment

Once again, screw flying into or out of BHX.
          "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by likeitfast55 View Post
            1) Most larger transport jets have a limitation of 30 to 35 knots direct x-wind. The gust factor is added in different on each aircraft as proven in certification. The 80' is 30 knots.

2) speed on touchdown--- hard to answer, each aircraft has different speeds proportional to weight. The lighter the load -- the slower the speed at touchdown, heavier - faster. This is driven by stall speed. Most jets have an ref-touchdown speed that is 1.23Vso. That is 1.23 times faster than the stall speed with flaps-gear out.(we call it a dirty configuration)

I touchdown in the 80' max landing weight around 130 to 140 knots.

1 knot is 1.15 faster than a MPH, or 15% faster.

Most operators suspend all operation at 50knots.
            Interesting, now let's say one of the pieces of landing gear were to snap off during touchdown, would the plane simply start tumbling and tear apart or do yall train for something like that? Every time I land in a plane I wonder that

This vid has something close to that in the first landing.

Comment

The landing gear is a lot stronger than they look. The weakest link is side loading. Unless the aircraft is unstable upon touchdown, tumbling should not be an issue. An example of unstable was the United Flight 232 by Capt. Al Haynes in Sioux City in 1989. That aircraft tumbled on impact because of no flight controls and unstable touchdown.

We are taught to land with gear extended even if a malfunction has occurred just about 100% of the time. However we may deviate from that if we feel that a safer outcome is possible.

Comment

I was hoping someone built a real X-wing.

Comment

Working...
                X