Clear All

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by 2011GT View Post
          B-36

B-36 complete with SAC logo? Badass!

But... No Hustler, no care.

BTW B-58s were based in FTW at Carswell back in the day.

On September 18, 1961 a routine training mission using a Convair B-58 Hustler supersonic jet prepared for takeoff from the United States Air Force Strategic Air Command (SAC) base at Carswell. As the aircraft began rotation the left main gear suffered a major failure, with debris tearing a hole in the aft main pod causing 15,000 lbs of fuel being "lit off" by the afterburners as the plane lifted from the runway.

Damage to the plane prevented the landing gear from being raised, and also caused problems when attempting to perform in-air refueling. The skilled crew were able to devise a plan that allowed the plane to refuel at around 11,00 feet and speed 300 knots by using all four engines in afterburner mode, with the inboard engines being used to position the aircraft. This proceedure was repeated 8 times during the night before a landing attempt could be made at Edwards AFB.

The runway at Edwards AFB was prepared for the emergency landing by spraying foam, and emergency vehicles then waited for the crippled B-58 to land. A chase plane had been able to confirm the extent of damage to the B-58's landing gear - only 3 of 8 wheels were still intact on the left main gear!

Read on another site:
          One of my instructors at the Air Force Academy had been a B-58 pilot, and we were all curious as to why it had been mothballed so early in it's service life.

"Well," he said, "one of our concessions in the Cuban Missile Crisis was to bring all the B-58's home from their bases around the perimeter of the Soviet Union. Now, to bomb Moscow from Little Rock required three aerial refuelings. The one over Canada on the way in wasn't bad, and the one over Iran on the way out wasn't bad, but the one over Leningrad was gonna be a bitch."

Last edited by Strychnine; 09-25-2014, 06:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tribaltalon View Post
            did anybody else collect these? I have the complete edition still at my parents house. I used to get so stoked every time a new pack would come in the mail.
            Yep! I had a ton of those! I had them for cars as well.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• B58 rescue was bad ass.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• U2 landings.. pay attention to the chase car, you guys might like it..

Comment

• Originally posted by CJ View Post
                  U2 landings.. pay attention to the chase car, you guys might like it..

I think they are using G8s now.

Comment

• When I was going to the University of Texas in the 60's, the B-58’s made many practice bomb runs across Austin, as it was reported to be similar to a target city in the Soviet Union.

What a sight it was when it was streaking across the sky (usually a cloudless day) and hearing the sonic booms! Never tired of looking up and seeing it!

I always liked this video….
                    The mach 2 Convair B-58 HUSTLER was the vanguard of low-level bombing techniques used in later aircraft. This old film, salvaged from antiquainted 2" studio...
                    Mustangs previously owned:
                    1967 Coupe V8 (My first car)
                    1992 LX AOD
                    1993 LX Drag Car
                    1995 GTS
                    1997 Cobra
                    2000 Cobra R

2002 Corvette C5 A4 10.64@ 127.1
                    Undercover SC Dragster 8.10's

In the garage now....
                    2016 Honda Accord Touring
                    2015 F-150 Silver 5.0 XLT SuperCrew, like new condition

Retired 2008 after 41 years as an EE at LTV (Garland)/TI/Raytheon. Enjoying ham radio now.

Comment

• ^^ that is a seriously badass video.

Comment

• Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
                        Kind of a sidenote to that era... When the US bombed Libya in the 80s, my Dad was stationed at RAF Mildenhall. Where we lived on base housing was at RAF Lakenheath. Lakenheath was(is?) home of the F-111(Aardvarks). Shortly after the bombing, the acronym for LIBYA started popping up - Lakenheath Is Bombing Your Ass. Not sure why, but that always stuck with me as a little kid. And next year at the air show, patches like this one below started showing up.

Small world, my dad was stationed at Upper Heyford RAF, he worked on the F-111/EF-111. We were living there during the Libyan bombing missions also. I'll have to see if he still has any of the patches.

-Eric

Comment

• B52 with no tail. The mission was to find turbulence and stress the air frame. They found the worst turbulence ever encountered. Overachievers.

:O

Comment

• Originally posted by reo View Post
                            Small world, my dad was stationed at Upper Heyford RAF, he worked on the F-111/EF-111. We were living there during the Libyan bombing missions also. I'll have to see if he still has any of the patches.

-Eric
                            Does he know what color the boathouse at Hereford is?
                            Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

• Originally posted by RWhite View Post
                              When I was going to the University of Texas in the 60's, the B-58’s made many practice bomb runs across Austin, as it was reported to be similar to a target city in the Soviet Union.

What a sight it was when it was streaking across the sky (usually a cloudless day) and hearing the sonic booms! Never tired of looking up and seeing it!

I always liked this video….
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFPgur_cUmA
                              That was badass.

The B-58 was the first bomber capable of mach 2 flight.

Comment

• Last edited by Gargamel; 09-26-2014, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X