No announcement yet.

1/12th Scale 1969 Camaro Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, they don't make a GTO model this size. One reason it would be so expensive is because of the number of one off parts. The wheels alone, if I can ever get them done, are going to cost between $250 and $500.
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
      haha.. probably not
      Your loss!

My supplier only has the black molds in stock anyway.

Comment

wow... that's crazy that the wheels would cost that much... trust me I 'm not knocking how much you would want.. but I personally couldn't pay that much for one... even though it would be SUPER cool
        1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

The smaller scale stuff, 1:24th which is the size I could get your GTO in, would go for a couple of hundred.

The reason the wheels cost so much is because they would be one off machined pieces. The aftermarket is non existent for these large scale models. I've always wanted some hobby size machine tools, but haven't been able to afford them.

Then, once I get the wheels done, I will have to make the tires from sheet styrene and styrene stock. Then make a mold and cast them in rubber.....

Comment

I wish I had talent like this
            1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

Thanks for all of the compliments. There are times I really wish I had the time to finish this thing. A lot that I would love to do to it still. Maybe one day

Comment

Are you the guy that made the custom Fox body Coupe model? if yes did you ever make the copies?
                Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
                90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

yep, thats me. I had a mold made, but it had some SERIOUS issues. I didn't get my master back as it was destroyed in the molding process. I set out with a decent cast from the mold to try and correct some flaws that I found. It is in storage with the rest of my collection

Comment

Very nice work man. I really wish I had the patience to do something like that.
                    "You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch"

Comment

Amazing deals on this 7In X 10In Precision Benchtop Mini Lathe at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.

Its on sale for 499$ right now. You could make all the wheels you could possibly want.

Comment

If I only had the $$. I found someone not too long ago who could CNC them for me for about that price

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                          yep, thats me. I had a mold made, but it had some SERIOUS issues. I didn't get my master back as it was destroyed in the molding process. I set out with a decent cast from the mold to try and correct some flaws that I found. It is in storage with the rest of my collection
                          damn it maybe one day... lol
                          Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
                          90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

that's awesome. Wish I could do something like this!
                            2009 Mercedes C63 AMG

Comment

Props. This thread is pure awesome.
                              Tera 4:1 + 4.88's = Slowest rig on here
                              Baja-Bob.com

Comment

I stopped by Wild Bill's in Irving today and browsed around a little. I came across some HPI Wheels that I thought were the right size. From there, I went to Rockwall and stopped at Hobbytown USA for some more plastic tube. There, I found some HPI tires, Falken Azenis I believe. After spending too much money, here is what I came home with, They are bigger than what I was hoping for though hopefully I can make them look right. Not quite as impressive as fully machined, or scratch built, however, It will hopefully save time and get me motivated for this thing.

The HPI wheels and tires

With the 1/12th GT500 wheels

A couple of views showing height/size difference

Finally, a couple of shots of the wheels under the body. The GT500 wheel and tire in the back, the HPI wheel in the front

One thing I have learned with model cars, more often than not, bigger wheels typically look better, not sure how I feel about the HPI wheels though. I think they are on the verge of too big.

Comment

Working...
                                X