Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A comparison shot for wheel size. This is a 1:1 first gen with ZR1 wheels

Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

As stated previously, raw talent. You could probably make a decent living doing 'em.. (If you don't already..) Take custom orders. Have the customer send you a bunch of pics, quote 'em, and make a super happy customer. He would refer you to 10 other people and you'd have more work than you could handle..

Anyhoot. Nice stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by threefortytwo View Post
        As stated previously, raw talent. You could probably make a decent living doing 'em.. (If you don't already..) Take custom orders. Have the customer send you a bunch of pics, quote 'em, and make a super happy customer. He would refer you to 10 other people and you'd have more work than you could handle..

Anyhoot. Nice stuff.
        Thanks for the comments. I don't think I'm near up to par when it comes to commissioned builds

Comment

Horry shyt!!! Nice work as always.
          Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

The more I look at that picture of jackass (the full size Camaro I posted), the more I think the wheels may be ok the way they are, and just alter the width of the fronts.

Then change the body color back to the original sunset orange metallic or going with cyber gray metallic and paint the wheels aluminum with a gunmetal center....

Comment

As requested from another site.

Here are a couple of better pictures. I think that with them done with "aluminum" lips they will be ok. that gray is a little much right now. Also, as expected they look a little big, even as full scale goes. The last two pics show the original plan for the wheels/tires from earlier in the build. The r/c wheels scale out to ~25"

Last edited by black2002ls; 01-31-2012, 10:39 PM.

Comment

A little update on this. As awesome as it would be to say that the wheels are fully machined, I've found an alternate route. www.shapeways.com offers 3-D printing services. Basically you upload a 3-d image file and they sell you prints of the design. I've spent the last couple of days teaching myself solidworks and working on a design for a wheel center. I'm not sure if I will go so far as to make the wheel "sleeves" or not, or if I will have someone machine them for me.

Here is a picture of what I'm working on:

The great thing about this is, the possibilities are nearly limitless once I'm proficient at solidworks. Some things will still be scratchbuilt, however, the items that I have trouble with, or can't get proportions right, they can simply be printed!

Comment

Still no physical modelling as of yet. I've been working in solidworks and learning its nuances and ways to get this all done. I have been able to create a new wheel center, wheel sleeves that are 11" and 9.5" wide, as well as a wheel stop. The way this will work is, the wheel stop is adjusted to the depth I need for the backspacing I want, then it will be mated to the outer sleeve. Once that is done, the wheel center will be mated to the stop. I've got the stop "drilled" for bolt heads, to mimick the wheel being blind fastened from the back side. Those bolts will be machined pieces.

Comment

how the fuck did i miss this thread?! subscribing so i can read it later...

Comment

There are MUCH longer build threads on other forums.

I ordered 1 Each of the wheel mounting disc, wheel center, 11", and 9.5" "sleeves". They should be here first or second week of march. It cost me $21 for prototypes. This will allow me to start working on the front suspension, give me an idea of how this thing is going to look, as well as the changes that will need to be made to the rear frame section to get everything to fit. The next parts I plan to create are full brakes, calipers and discs, front and rear. As I progress and learn more with solidworks, I plan to draw a scale LS1, with every intention of casting resin copies. It may not be scratchbuilding, but it is just as much fun!

Comment

Another big hurdle for this build were the brakes. these are modeled after ZR1 corvette brakes. I got the "hat" and front rotor done last night. hopefully I can get started on the front caliper tonight.

Comment

You two would be best of friends...

Comment

Thats insane, looks amazing!
                            Street car.

Comment

Well, I got a little package in the mail today. My prototype parts arrived from the 3D printer. It turns out that the mating ring for the wheel face wasn't printable in its current format so I will have to tweak it. The plastic I had these printed in prints very rough not near good enough for finished quality pieces. I have learned quite a bit so far from looking at these pieces. The most important: the wall thickness isn't as much as it appears on the screen! the sleeves are too thin IMHO. I am also on the fence about the overall look of the wheels. I feel like the spokes are too thin. I like the general design, I just feel that maybe the spokes could be a bit wider. As far as wheel size, this is what I've mentioned about scale correctness not always looking correct. These should be 20" wheels, though they still look a tad bit small.

Comment

I got front sleeves printed as well, however, I think I screwed up the dimensions. Instead of being scale 9" wide, they are closer to 4". My plan for the sleeves is to get them designed how I want them and either send the pieces or the files off to be machined

Comment

Working...
                                X