No announcement yet.

1/12th Scale 1969 Camaro Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, if I were to spend any kind of significant $$$ on a tool for fabrication it would be a lathe and end mill attachments. Much more can be accomplished machining from brass and aluminum
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

• At this scale, can you not fab a drill and vise to make your own lathe?
      Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

• Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
        At this scale, can you not fab a drill and vise to make your own lathe?
        The control and precision just isn't the same

Comment

• I confirmed my wheel sleeves earlier today, not sure how long it will take to receive them. They will be ~20x9 up front and 20x12 in the back. I had originally planned on 18's but typically with these kits, bigger looks more correct. I undoubtedly caused myself more work in the way of mini tubs and re-fabbing the back half of the chassis. Time will tell. Here is a teaser pic of some wheels the machinist did for another 1/12 Camaro. Modeled after Fikse wheels

Comment

• Well, the long wait is over. I got a picture of my wheels today. The center is rough, it hasn't been cleaned up, just painted for effect. I am nervous they are going to be WAY too big, hopefully I am wrong.

Comment

• I need a scale replica of my car now. K thanks
              Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

• I think I came across some 1/16th scale coupes. There isn't a 1/12th that I have seen. And of course the smaller 1/24-1/25th is available

Comment

• The guy who machined the wheel sleeves snapped a pic of a wheel sitting under a Camaro body. It is a tad bigger than I was looking for I think, but all in all I feel it is going to be bitchin'. I am stoked!

Comment

• Wheel sleeves should be here by mid next week. I order 3D prints of my wheel centers and enough brake parts to finish up the brakes on the front end. Once all of that arrives I can put together a front wheel "assembly" and start working on the front suspension.

Comment

• Well, the wheel sleeves showed up today. Much to my dismay, they are incorrect. The centers are designed to be front mount, like this wheel:

They sleeves are designed to be rear mounted, which would require re-designing the centers. The other thing I never liked with the machined aluminum model wheels is the way they are stepped. I am not sure if this is a limitation of the equipment, machinist, or a result of the small scale.

What I got:

What it should have looked like, with a little less offset of course:

Comment

• Well, the wheels are going back today. I talked with the machinist and hopefully he is able to accomodate my resquest. The lip machined on the inside of the wheel for the center to be mounted to is going to be removed. In place of that he is going to machine me a ring that will serve as the mounting point for the center, that way I can adjust the backspacing as needed. If any of you here are a machinist please chime in! I think I can "set" the ring with loctite. Also, what I have asked for is for the overall diameter to be turned down, essentially removing the outer step so that I am left with a more realistic looking wheel.

Everything outside of the black mark would be removed, leaving me a single flare and a small lip to imulate the tire mounting lip.

Comment

• Sir I think you have a problem and the first step is to admit it.
                          Half of history is hiding the past.

Comment

• Also cool project.
                            Half of history is hiding the past.

Comment

• Originally posted by silverhatch View Post
                              Sir I think you have a problem and the first step is to admit it.
                              Ha. My biggest problem is modelers ADD! I am hoping once I get these wheels sorted out, I can get this thing finished up

Comment

• Just got done talking with the machinist and he is confident he can accomodate my requests. If he can, I should have almost exactly what I have been searching for, for the last 4-5 years. So hopefully in another month, I will have my motivation!

Comment

Working...
                                X