Random PICTURE of the day thread *KEEP IT WORK SAFE*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by motoman View Post
    Was the SR71 the plane that needed fueling almost immediately after take off because the entire plane leaked fuel during pre-flight and take off?
    Yep, the seams leaked until the temp got high enough for the metal to expand and seal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shorty View Post
      You made my day so much I want to take down my previous post

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
      First hand witness at the failure of public healthcare.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by motoman View Post
          Was the SR71 the plane that needed fueling almost immediately after take off because the entire plane leaked fuel during pre-flight and take off?
          Someone was paying attention while watching Space Cowboys lol

Comment

• Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
            Yep, the seams leaked until the temp got high enough for the metal to expand and seal.
            Yes.

Because this aircraft was way ahead of its time, many new technologies had to be invented specifically for this project – some still in use today. One of the biggest problems that engineers faced at that time was working with Titanium. Kelly Johnson explains, “We produced 6,000 parts, and of them fewer than ten percent were any good. The material [Titanium] was so brittle that if you dropped a piece on the floor it would shatter”.

Ordinary drills were rendered useless because after about 17 rivet holes the drill would be completely destroyed. During the welding process, an extremely rare and expensive argon shielding gas had to be used to eliminate oxygen from the metal to ensure the highest quality of welds.

A total of 12 out of the 32 aircraft built were lost. The important thing to take note of is that none of the Blackbirds were lost due to enemy military retaliation. All SR-71 crew had to do upon a missile launch, was to increase the throttle and watch the missile get further and further away from striking distance.
            Originally posted by lincolnboy
            After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

• As mentioned above....An interesting thing about the SR71 was it used titanium primarily, which Russia is the primary supplier of. So the US used shell corporations and other means to purchase titanium from Russia for use to spy on them with the same plane.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• The RAF's Vulcan Bomber was another of my favorites when growing up.

Comment

Comment

• Comment

• I always thought the RAF Electric Lightning looked bad ass for some oddball reason
                      http://www.amazon.com/Viralution-Don...don+kehlenbeck

www.facebook.com/TheViralution

Comment

• If I get a divorce, I'm moving to MA.
                        Ded

Comment

• apparently, I should be in florida.
                          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

• looks like nevada for me!

god bless.
                            It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

• i am surprised Texas isn't blue waffle.

Comment

• Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                                i am surprised Texas isn't blue waffle.
                                Or Dan Bishop Project Manager @ GE.
                                "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                                "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Working...
                                X