Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Comment

• In 1939, John Cobb set a land speed of 369.7 mph at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah. His return, an attempt to beat 400 miles per hour, was in 1947; his first run was faster than 400 mph, making him the first to be timed at 400 mph+, but the record was set at 394.2 mph (the average of two runs).

Cobb’s car was designed by a young British engineer named Reid Railton, who also had worked with Malcolm Campbell's Bluebird Evolution. It was powered by a pair of Napier Lion W-12 aircraft engines of 26.9 liters displacement (1641 cid) producing 1,250 hp each; the car had a three speed gearbox and four wheel drive.

The Lion's three banks of 4 cylinders was referred to as a "Broad Arrow;" each Lion drove one pair of wheels independently of the other. The Lion had first appeared just after World War I, and saw its most public use as the powerplant of the British entrants in the Schneider Trohy racing series for seaplanes. I've included a picture of the British Gloster VI Schneider Trophy momoplane which took part in the 1927 races in England.

The body design was state of the art and I'm sure Dr. Kamm was delighted with the way Railton followed his teachings. The body shell of the car was one piece, lifted off for engine and chassis access. The underside was completely enclosed with a belly pan. It was a thing of beauty and grace and, at 6500 pounds, it was the lightest of all the aircraft-engined monsters. It was 28 feet long with a wheelbase of 13 1/2 feet, and its height was a mere 42.8 inches, with a width of 97 1/2 inches.

Tommy Ivo

Comment

• Comment

• garage door bond gotz me rawwwlin.

Comment

• Originally posted by aCid View Post
              I've basically been doing that for 2 months...

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Snapped this gem today in front of the occupy Austin:
                    Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

Comment

• LOL at the 420 friendly

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
                            LOL at the 420 friendly

It's actually "frendly."

Better yet, they have low rats. I guess you wouldn't want to get high rats, even if you are 420 frendly.

Comment

• Originally posted by aCid View Post
                              hole E shit!!1!1!@334

Comment

• Originally posted by appelingogt View Post
                                hole E shit!!1!1!@334
                                Jeff you win tonight!!! ALLLL Those had me rolling hard! And I hate those stick figure ones but they were all true.

Comment

Working...
                                X