Now I need wedding photo tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now I need wedding photo tips

I was just asked by a dear friend to be the photographer for her wedding that is coming up VERY fast.

My current setup is a Nikon D5000, 18-55mm AF lens, 55-200mm lens, Nikon SB700 flash, Gary Fong cone diffuser, and a flash bracket. I also have a tripod, but it won't support the weight of my camera with the flash and bracket mounted (stupid me for not thinking ahead when I bought it).

The wedding is going to be outside at the Ft Worth Water Gardens in daylight.

You guys were great giving me tips on the portraits a couple of months ago, so I thought I would see if there any other tips that I could put to use.

I am thinking about getting a 50mm prime lens for this, but I'm not sure if I really need it or if I need something else. So any equipment suggestions would be a big help as well.

Thanks in advance!
    كافر

Originally posted by sc281
    Always better to be an Uncle than a Father. All the fun stuff and none of the expensive stuff.
    Originally posted by Trick Pony
    ...from what I've seen on here bcoop knows his shit when it comes to smoking meat.

Get a bigger tripod

That's all I got.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
      Get a bigger tripod

That's all I got.
      Ha
      DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

pics of bride?
        Originally posted by Nash B.
        Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked98Snake View Post
          pics of bride?

X2 we can much better judge with this completed

Comment

Go rent some good lenses from Fort Worth Camera.

I never used a tripod while shooting a wedding. Tripods are great for static portraits for shots of the bride in her dress before the big day.

Comment

You didn't mention the aperture range on your lenses but an outdoor wedding is easier to shoot (in my opinion) because of the increased light. Most of the time your flash is for fill light anyway. A Prime lens won't do you a lot of good when taking candid shots during the event. I only use my 50mm prime to shoot pictures of the cake, table arrangements etc... What I do before every wedding is go to the rehearsal to figure out good spots and angles to shoot during the wedding without obstructing views. It takes gobs of room but shoot everything in .RAW format.

Comment

Originally posted by Larius View Post
                You didn't mention the aperture range on your lenses but an outdoor wedding is easier to shoot (in my opinion) because of the increased light. Most of the time your flash is for fill light anyway. A Prime lens won't do you a lot of good when taking candid shots during the event. I only use my 50mm prime to shoot pictures of the cake, table arrangements etc... What I do before every wedding is go to the rehearsal to figure out good spots and angles to shoot during the wedding without obstructing views. It takes gobs of room but shoot everything in .RAW format.
                Those are kit lenses with about f3.6-4.5 minimum aperture.

Comment

Originally posted by Larius View Post
                  I didn't have them in front of me to accurately quote. The 18-55 is f/3.5-5.6 and is a VR lens. The 55-200 is f/4-5.6 NON VR.

And I always shoot in RAW, regardless of the subject.

I do like the versatility of a zoom lens for taking photos of people without it being totally obvious. I really don't want to be caught trying to change lenses either. If I buy/rent a lens, I may borrow my brother's D5000 as a secondary to use with the other lens.
                  كافر

Always better to be an Uncle than a Father. All the fun stuff and none of the expensive stuff.
                  ...from what I've seen on here bcoop knows his shit when it comes to smoking meat.

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                    Go rent some good lenses from Fort Worth Camera.

I never used a tripod while shooting a wedding. Tripods are great for static portraits for shots of the bride in her dress before the big day.
                    Suggestions on what lenses? About how much should I expect to pay for the rental?

I likely will not use the tripod as I will be moving around. The more stuff I have to deal with, the clumsier I get.
                    كافر

Comment

85mm 1.4

Comment

Originally posted by 90GT50 View Post
                        85mm 1.4
                        That is a great lens, but about $1,600.

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                          That is a great lens, but about $1,600.
                          I know, he asked about renting.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked98Snake View Post
                            pics of bride?
                            Originally posted by ls1redline View Post
                            X2 we can much better judge with this completed
                            Do you have anything to contribute other than this?
                            كافر

Comment

Im not familar with nikon as much, but the 85mm 1.2L is every wedding photographers dream lens. I highly reccomend arlington camera, i have rented from them a few times and they are wonderful! looks like 85mm 1.4 for Nikon is only $35/day

Comment

Working...
                              X